Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Do you cover your bike in the winter?  (Read 7041 times)

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
Re: Do you cover your bike in the winter?
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2013, 09:29:28 PM »

Due to the Humidity id Dubai i use a Harley bubble and it works great!
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2013, 11:47:21 PM »

I have a cotten cover over mine mainly just to keep off the dust. Went to the lockup on my routine check and to my supprise....found this :'( the hole bike covered in dew. I don't know how many times it's happened, only caught it the one time. I don't have any electric supply in there so don't know what I can do about it.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2013, 11:49:07 PM »

another

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2013, 07:07:09 AM »

I have a cotten cover over mine mainly just to keep off the dust. Went to the lockup on my routine check and to my supprise....found this :'( the hole bike covered in dew. I don't know how many times it's happened, only caught it the one time. I don't have any electric supply in there so don't know what I can do about it.

That can't be good. If it were me I would find a different lockup that has power. Is there a light in the ceiling? If so you could put something in the socket to give you power for an electrical appliance.

ultrarider123

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2013, 07:44:11 AM »

Wow Pete, that is a lot of moisture and will not be good for the scooter.  Blacktop had a great idea in using the light socket.  Don't know if you have that option in England but some electrical companies fabricate an adapter that screws into the light socket where you can still install a light and has one or two electrical outlets in it.  Problem with things like that is you really have to watch the amperage on things you plug in.  A fan might work fine but an electric heater may put too much load on that circuit.  I'd look at moving to a temp control location or just leaving it uncovered.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2013, 02:57:53 PM »

Pete, that's exactly what mine used to look like. It took a lot of cleaning to rid the corrosion that it started. Since I've had fan blowing on it nothing. I don't know what you could use in the meantime. I don't think the moisture absorbing products like DampRid would work, but I'd give it a shot in the meantime. Open a tub under the bike and see if it works?

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2013, 07:49:28 PM »

I 've been bashing my brain trying to sort something out. I looked in to moving to a storage unit but that's out the door the only way I can get one in there is by draining oil and fuel out. The only other option so far is going to the privet adds that people rent out their garage for extra income that cost starts at £100+ a month around $200 US
I've also been kicking around the thought of going with a coal oil heater and keep it on low setting this I hope may do the trick.
Any one out there gone that route be for? As I've stated got no power source. Howard mentioned maybe take the light cover off could the cover be the reason for the condensation? Options on moving are limited. The condensations happened once shore a hell it's going to keep happening unless something gets sorted.

All thoughts welcome, cheers

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2013, 07:57:33 PM »

Pete, that's exactly what mine used to look like. It took a lot of cleaning to rid the corrosion that it started. Since I've had fan blowing on it nothing. I don't know what you could use in the meantime. I don't think the moisture absorbing products like DampRid would work, but I'd give it a shot in the meantime. Open a tub under the bike and see if it works?

Thanks Pete, I will look into that, I'll be stopping by the lock up tomorrow and checking on it if there's condesation there again I'll do my nut. I'll keep posted

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2013, 08:32:28 PM »

It might be too late now, but you should have at least done a liberal application of this product on ALL the chrome.  Leaving it unprotected, humidity like that is going to F stuff up fast.  Merely leaving it uncovered will not be enough.  You need to get the humidity out and/or get the air moving in there with a fan running 24/7.

http://www.s100.com/s100_cp.htm

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2013, 08:42:27 AM »

It might be too late now, but you should have at least done a liberal application of this product on ALL the chrome.  Leaving it unprotected, humidity like that is going to F stuff up fast.  Merely leaving it uncovered will not be enough.  You need to get the humidity out and/or get the air moving in there with a fan running 24/7.

http://www.s100.com/s100_cp.htm

Cheers for that tHunDer, I'll check it out if it's available over here be a handy thing to have. I when over to day fearing what I may see...opened the doors and wow she was as dry as a desert bone not even a hint of moisture.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2013, 10:35:50 AM »

back in the early 70s i would park the bike in my bedroom. In the front door down the hall. I lived on the beach so i didnt want to leave it out. Eerything was fine until it leaked gas all over the carpet!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.