Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buyer in BC, Canada interested in my bike  (Read 1386 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Buyer in BC, Canada interested in my bike
« on: March 21, 2013, 05:34:15 PM »

I have a person interested in my bike who lives in BC.  Can any of our Canadian friends tell me what will be required with regards to paperwork and any mods to the bike to meet Canadian inspection?  Also, will the ESP plan transfer to Canada?  I understand that Mt Baker HD in Bellingham will assist Canadian buyers, even if they are buying from a private seller...any experiences with them?

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

Terry
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Buyer in BC, Canada interested in my bike
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »

I have a person interested in my bike who lives in BC.  Can any of our Canadian friends tell me what will be required with regards to paperwork and any mods to the bike to meet Canadian inspection?  Also, will the ESP plan transfer to Canada?  I understand that Mt Baker HD in Bellingham will assist Canadian buyers, even if they are buying from a private seller...any experiences with them?

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

Terry

Getting rid of the Road Glide already?

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 06:33:12 PM »

Hi Terry  :)  Really surprised to hear you are selling already... (Wish I had some extra coin laying around  :()  Here is a little bit of good reading that may answer a lot of your questions.  Good luck with the sale

Marty

DEELEY WITH INPORTS NEW RULES
Importing a US 2011 CVO Street Glide To Canada
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 06:42:49 PM »

Deeley and the MOCO have run Mt. Baker Harley out of business. They were catering to Canadians with realistic prices for maintenance and service...and assisting with importing bikes to Canada.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Lars

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, "IT'S THE RIDE"

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC8
    • CVO2: 1983 Shovelhead "Ole Black Betty"
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 11:48:32 PM »

I bought my 2013 SEUC from Mt Baker Harley just as they were going out of business in September last year. Saved quite a few sheckles compared to the other dealers in NW Washington .  A lot of Canadian HD owners came to Bellingham to specifically get work done on their scoots. The closest HD dealer now is Skagit Harley in Mount Vernon.
With old age has come the wisdom to embrace my immaturity.

Lars

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 01:47:43 PM »

So, you give the shipper a clear title and bill of sale and off he goes? Hopefully, not never to be seen again.  What guarentee do they give you when they drive away from your house with your $30,000?
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Soot

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5- Road King in Crushed Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Typhoon (blew in and blew out)
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 02:40:21 PM »

Terry,

Your responsibility ends with having a clear title and ensuring that any recalls have been performed on the bike before it hits the border. Also, most international border crossings will want the documentation at least 72 hrs in advance on the US side of the border (you can send copies). The buyer's responsibility is to arrange for transport and having all the documents in their presence when they pick up the bike. If it goes through a bonded carrier that does this as a business; that's the whole point of them being bonded, insured and reputable enough to get the bike from point A to point B without damage or delay.

Good luck with the sale. I have bought a few bikes in the US - one from MN and one from North Dakota. If it is a used bike (as in your case), there is no issue with equipping it to conform to new bike stds in Canada. The lights, speedo and other mods apply primarily to new bikes. And finally, I'm pretty certain that the ESP is transferable and good anywhere in North America. Contact the ESP to verify.

Soot.   :deal2:

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 08:50:23 PM »

Terry,

Your responsibility ends with having a clear title and ensuring that any recalls have been performed on the bike before it hits the border. Also, most international border crossings will want the documentation at least 72 hrs in advance on the US side of the border (you can send copies). The buyer's responsibility is to arrange for transport and having all the documents in their presence when they pick up the bike. If it goes through a bonded carrier that does this as a business; that's the whole point of them being bonded, insured and reputable enough to get the bike from point A to point B without damage or delay.

Good luck with the sale. I have bought a few bikes in the US - one from MN and one from North Dakota. If it is a used bike (as in your case), there is no issue with equipping it to conform to new bike stds in Canada. The lights, speedo and other mods apply primarily to new bikes. And finally, I'm pretty certain that the ESP is transferable and good anywhere in North America. Contact the ESP to verify.

Soot.   :deal2:

Thanks so much...

TTS Mastertune

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 09:40:55 PM »

As previous members mentioned it is a simple task. I have imported may cars and bikes over the last few years. Just yesterday I imported a 2002 BMW K1200 LT through Coutts, Alberta/Sweetgrass, MT crossing without a hitch the US portion took 5 minutes the Canadian portion took about 1/2 hour as they have more paperwork to do. BMW is a bit more Anal than Deeley Imports when it comes to importing a bike into Canada.

Most important is to have the US Worksheet filled out, Original Bill of Sale, and a Clear Title, and for RIV Canada a Recall Letter or some refer to it as a Vehicle Inquiry Report, stating that their are NO OPEN CAMPAIGNS against the vehicle.

geezerglide

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 11:52:40 AM »

Thanks, everyone...I have relayed this information to the potential buyer, so we'll see where he takes it from here.

TC

TTS Mastertune

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.