Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Best weight oil for motor? Trans? Primary?  (Read 4913 times)

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
Re: Best weight oil for motor? Trans? Primary?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 10:54:49 AM »

Thanks Jerry. What I was looking for was the weight, not a brand, because I've read thru a number of threads and I couldn't figure 1) if weight was extremely relevant in all areas and 2) if so what guys were using as the MoCo one size fits all made no sense to me.
Thanks North Georgia. Got the manuals and reviewed the MoCo recommendations/requirements. I've learned over the years that guys with experience like you and Jerry have found better alternatives or tweaks to manufacturing "specs" and the reasoning is usually spot in. Your use of a 70-30 mix is case in point. Why the mix? What benefits have you found?   :bananarock:

I can't provide any empirical evidence of a documented benefit. It's a recommendation made by a friend of mine with a Tri Glide who is very active in the trike community. Trikes are big and heavy, and they put considerably more stress on the clutch and primary drive than our two-wheelers do. From what I have been told, a number of trikers seem to run with this combo. The 30% Syn ATF supposedly provides a little better longevity to the primary fluid over straight Formula+... but again there is no testing of which I am aware to support this hypothesis. Maybe it's just an urban legend kind of thing... but it feels good and seems right. LOL

I used to run 100% Mobil 1 Syn ATF in the primary. After some engine mods, my clutch began slipping. I installed a stronger spring, the ClutchWiz, and an extra plate clutch pack from Energy One. That combo cured the slipping and enabled a reduced clutch lever pull effort. I cannot say whether running the 100% Mobil 1 Syn ATF might have been a factor that led to the clutch slipping or not, because my engine is fairly modded and puts out a lot more torque than stock.

So anyway, the 70/30 combo might not have any real technical benefit... or it might. I'm kind of in a "try it and see" phase with it.

Stock Harley clutches are not engineered to handle large amounts of torque anyway... they are basically a "meets minimum performance" package designed to handle stock power. The MoCo sells a quite expensive SE clutch for "racing" applications.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 25 queries.