Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Ugly Exhaust Bracket  (Read 5229 times)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Ugly Exhaust Bracket
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 10:20:31 AM »

Looks good little mods like this makes a big difference in apperance

Thanks Norm. I was really surprised how good it looked when that semi-shiny bracket disappeared. I didn't realize how visible it really was.

Now I'm contemplating taking the chrome "P" clamp that wraps the pipe, and powdercoating part of it so it will disappear also.

I hate ugly brackets. Maybe I could put that on a T-shirt.

Chief

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 10:30:15 AM »

You did an outstanding job.    :2vrolijk_21: Powder coat is pretty reasonable, isn't it? What's next?  :)

Thanks Ron.

This powdercoating is very reasonable because I found a local shop that will hang my stuff for free. They are a good sized outfit that runs production line. As long as I can blast it clean and give them an easy way to hang it, they just put it on the line. They will do any color I want as long as its black.

The first time I took them the detachable brackets, I only buffed them down with Scotchbrite which left a lot of the green coating on them, and they came out terrible. I don't know what that coating is, but it sure fouled up the PC.

I took them home, removed all the PC, blasted them clean and you can see the results. 10x better than round 1.

As for what's next, I want to fab up an antenna bracket that will go up through a hole in the saddlebag filler strip, kind of like they do on the Street Glide.  Since I removed the TP, I don't have any radio, and I don't like the relocation kit they put on the detachable piece. I used the road Glide bracket on my other bike, but it won't work with the filler strips. This will mean drilling through the filler strip which has me kind of nervous.

I'll be sure to show it off it it comes out nice.

Chief

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2007, 04:06:11 PM »

Looks great. Detail Detail and did I say DETAIL :2vrolijk_21:

I did the same every bolt 12 point bolt setup on my last 502 motor build up in my 69 camaro sevaral years ago from ARP.They look real nice and pretty much a waste of money but looks cool. Its amazing what these bolts add up to in $$ Needless to say bike will not have them to many other mods first.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2007, 09:16:25 PM »

Looks great. Detail Detail and did I say DETAIL :2vrolijk_21:

I did the same every bolt 12 point bolt setup on my last 502 motor build up in my 69 camaro sevaral years ago from ARP.They look real nice and pretty much a waste of money but looks cool. Its amazing what these bolts add up to in $$ Needless to say bike will not have them to many other mods first.

Well, yeah! That's kind of the rules ... right? Like the chrome inner primary, chrome starter, speaker trim rings, this chrome, that chrome, everywhere chrome chrome.

Chief

Tros

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2007, 10:21:07 PM »

That's a good idea with a very nice result.   :2vrolijk_21:   

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2007, 07:48:26 AM »

That's a good idea with a very nice result.   :2vrolijk_21:   

Thanks Tros, and welcome to the site.

Chief

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2007, 12:54:59 PM »

Well, yeah! That's kind of the rules ... right? Like the chrome inner primary, chrome starter, speaker trim rings, this chrome, that chrome, everywhere chrome chrome.

Chief
Rules? There is no rules. You can add as much chrome as you like. Nice job on the brackets but should of been chrome right ;D :2vrolijk_21: Chrome won't get you home but sure looks good doing so.

Tros

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2007, 07:53:56 PM »

I like chrome, it's a good thing, but achieving a certain look is more complex than just hanging more chrome. 

For example take the Softail standard and the Night Train, to me they are all about textures & form.  I know some would argue that the FXST is plain so people will just buy more chrome. 

Besides being purdy & all the main advantage to chrome is ease of cleaning and the same can be said for powder coating.  I had polished aluminum wheels (not clear coated) on my last bike, what a PITA to maintain. :annoyed:

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2007, 08:19:54 PM »

Rules? There is no rules. You can add as much chrome as you like. Nice job on the brackets but should of been chrome right ;D :2vrolijk_21: Chrome won't get you home but sure looks good doing so.

I heard another one too. Chrome won't get you home, but it will get you l@id. I never got to try that one out.

I may wind up with chrome, saddlebag brackets too, if I don't like the powder coat. The powder coat was free, I doubt I'll be able to work that same deal on chrome.

Chief

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2007, 03:09:07 PM »

I like chrome, it's a good thing, but achieving a certain look is more complex than just hanging more chrome. 

For example take the Softail standard and the Night Train, to me they are all about textures & form.  I know some would argue that the FXST is plain so people will just buy more chrome. 

Besides being purdy & all the main advantage to chrome is ease of cleaning and the same can be said for powder coating.  I had polished aluminum wheels (not clear coated) on my last bike, what a PITA to maintain. :annoyed:

One more option is black chrome. Looks good on the night rod and night train and certian themed bikes.

ronshood2000

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2007, 01:45:39 PM »

I heard another one too. Chrome won't get you home, but it will get you l@id. I never got to try that one out.

I may wind up with chrome, saddlebag brackets too, if I don't like the powder coat. The powder coat was free, I doubt I'll be able to work that same deal on chrome.

Chief

I'll have to send my wife out to look at my bike and see if it works that way :orange: :orange:
Ron
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.