Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Lifter or rocker arm noise?  (Read 8108 times)

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

Re: Lifter or rocker arm noise?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 08:30:14 AM »

Wiseco with cracked skirt.. This happens more often than many would like to believe. Once they crack the ring seal is done. Not stating this is your issue however I would suggest that you do take the engine apart and locate the noise before you create more damage.

2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 04:44:06 PM »

We have used Wiseco Piston, Mentor, Ohio, here almost exclusively for almost 2 total decades, in Evo's, T/C's, and a plethora of other HD engines in our day-in, day-out work here.
Saw 1, repeat, 1 cracked skirt, 1 time on a 95" T/C.............................

Snakebyte

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 03:11:33 PM »

Take the bolt out of the rocker support that holds the rocker shaft in place. See if it has hit marks on the bolt itself.

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 04:17:07 PM »

Well guys finally got some free time to check into things on the bike.  have some rocker arm shafts here gonna switch them out just to see what happens and will let you know.  Went and checked my primary out also and had about 9 extra oz of oil in there.  So i guess i have to pull off my primary and see if my crank seal decided to start leaking now too.  Always something. 

flyin-r

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 12:05:42 AM »

I had similar symptoms and just found out that the lifter bores were worn well beyond allowable tolerances. Naturally the rocker arm bushings were worn out also. Now I need a total engine rebuild with new cases at 70,000 miles. At least I have the ESP (extended service plan) to help cover the costs. Hope this isn't causing your noise, but if you haven't solved the problem, it's worth taking a look at the lifter bores. :(

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 11:15:33 PM »

You can save your cases by either using oversize lifters, or sleeving the case for stock lifters.
Ask here. someone will know who does it!  twinotter

flyin-r

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2014, 01:03:51 AM »

Unfortunately sleeving the worn lifter bores is as costly as replacing the cases according to a vendor on one of the other forums and it still requires a complete engine tear-down. Oversize lifters wouldn't be the answer either if the bores are worn since they wear mostly on the thrust sides (front to rear).
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 25 queries.