Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Pipes blue/gold after dyno tune  (Read 5913 times)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Pipes blue/gold after dyno tune
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 09:53:29 PM »

I agree not likely but a quick bore scope and a leak down test would tell the tale.

Yep...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

kojack

• gearhead!
  • Senior CVO Member
    • NL

• CVO1: 2001 Sceamin eagle road glide (custom)
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 05:12:36 AM »

to many back to back runs very close together would not help either I am assuming.
Mavericks RC
MFFM

Powered by gasoline and southern comfort!

mayor

• Full CVO Member
  • just another fictional internet politician
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 07:30:49 AM »

to many back to back runs very close together would not help either I am assuming.
usually it's not the wide open runs that causes this (at least in my limited experience).  It's more likely going to happen during the steady state tuning in the higher rpm's, which as INDEPENDENT_1 noted can be mostly negated by moving lots of air over the exhaust.  Usually the wide open runs happens so quickly that the heat isn't building up too much, but steady state under various load at a given rpm really soaks some heat into the pipes especially near choke points like collectors and baffles.  The headers bluing up near the heads isn't a big deal, and should be expected if the tuner is placing a variable load on the bike at the mid rpm's (3,500-4,500 rpm).  Bluing of the heat shield is never cool, and most tuners will take the shields off if they can.  Some pipes don't allow the shields to be removed though, at least not easily.  Some exhaust systems are worse than others in where the heat collects. If the pipe is single walled and has a baffle in it, it is very hard not to turn the pipe colors on a dyno where the air is forced through the baffle onto the pipe. 

CVOBreak

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 10:05:31 PM »

My CVO breakout was dyno tuned with no ill effects with the Bassani road rage 2-1 exhaust. the pipes under the shields are blued and the collector is very blue. That being said, the shields are perfect with no discoloration at 5K miles so not likely to discolor now. My dyno results were a little higher at 96HP/112TQ but it looks like that is a minor difference.

Since no one cleans hot exhaust systems and the dealer is willing to replace they are just trying to keep you from the truth that they let your bike get too hot. I would make them document the replacement as a heat issue of their doing so if issues crop up later you have documentation to support a claim down the road.

After all the issues with my bike and the less than satisfactory response from HD I wouldn't trust any of them.

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout

I wrote about this before but did not include a picture. Dealer says they discolored because someone cleaned them while still hot after a dyno tune. Is this possible or impossible. Really looking for a few more opinions before I say anything to the dealer. They have installed new Bassani pipes at no charge but I still would like to hear what others say about this. Thanks in advance.
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

2013SERG

• Full CVO Member

Boloney, thats not from cleaning them when they're hot, what idiot would clean pipes when they're hot?
i clean them when they're warm when they're gum or a scuff, but nothing like that.
2013 SERG Longhorn Burnt Orange
D&D Fat Cat
Power commander
Fueling 574 Reaper cams
C&C custom gel seat, pillion and tour pack rest.
Buky custom made these 12's x 1'&1/2
Custom paint done by Doug Starbuck in Riverside CA.

CVOBreak

• Full CVO Member

Boloney, thats not from cleaning them when they're hot, what idiot would clean pipes when they're hot?
i clean them when they're warm when they're gum or a scuff, but nothing like that.

X2

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 01:04:18 AM »

Again, looks like they got too hot on the dyno. Not enough air movement to keep them from overheating and discoloring the pipe. Almost any tuner will tell you've that've done that before if they aren't a liar. After you blue a pipe, you learn it pays to buy more fans. Sounds like this tuner has not spent the money he needs to on fans yet. If he doesn't get more fans, it'll happen again until he does get more fans. Tuning the higher RPMs when the intake, cams, pipe and head are really moving some air, that's when the pipes are exposed to a lot of heat. Good fans strategically placed will fix the problem. 2-1 pipes are even more prone to it but investing in food fans and air moment fixes it and good air turnover in the dyno room itself improves the quality of the tune also. You don't want air that has already been thru the combustion process running through again. It skews the data and can potentially make the tuner want to lean the tune out beyond optimal efficiency.
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 07:40:26 AM »

Again, looks like they got too hot on the dyno. Not enough air movement to keep them from overheating and discoloring the pipe.
Should I be concerned about engine damage? Bike has 1600 miles on it. Two year warranty.

2014 CVO Breakout
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
124 HP 133 TQ

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 10:02:30 AM »

Should I be concerned about engine damage? Bike has 1600 miles on it. Two year warranty.
Very unlikely. Most tuners use when using a flash tuner watch engine rpm, MAP, throttle position, front and rear knck retard, and engine temp closely. I do all my sampling with and engine temp of at least 180 Farenheit up to as much as 240 Fahrenheit but like to keep it around 225 ish. Temps outside this range with cause the tuner to put a tune it that is not optimal since these temps are "normal" operating temp ranges and when it's any hottie or colder, the fuel and oxygen we're trying to burn either doesn't burn as well or it burns too quickly one causing a rich condition and the other causing a lean condition. Surely the guy that tuned your bike at least watches engine temps and stops sampling when it gets too hot and surely he has fans for front and read cylinders and fresh air intake and fans to get the air that's already been they the combustion shambled evacuated so it doesn't run thru the combustion process again. Am every dyno shop needs at least that much air movement or the tune will not be right. I move about 36,000 CFM in my dyno area just to jeep a constant crash air supply and keep the exhausts cool. I also have a fan that blows on the eddy current brake and on big torque motors, I also blow one on the rear tire to keep it from over heating. I also use an infrared temp gun to watch head temps right by the spark plugs and tire temps. On the hotter days, it's not uncommon for me to only sample 1 rpm range and then let the motor cool while I make changes to the map and reflash. When you start getting in the cams, pipe etc around 3500 rpm and up. Things get hot quick even with that much air movement.
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 10:59:18 AM »

Surely the guy that tuned your bike at least watches engine temps and stops sampling when it gets too hot and surely he has fans for front and read cylinders and fresh air intake and fans to get the air that's already been they the combustion shambled evacuated so it doesn't run thru the combustion process again.
It's a big shop (Harley-Davidson) and they sell a lot of bikes and do many dyno tunes. I've posted my dyno run. Don't know if that tells you anything. I'm completely in the dark about this stuff. Thanks for your input. Very helpful and informative. ;D

2014 CVO Breakout
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
124 HP 133 TQ

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 25 queries.