Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Tuning CFR Slip-ons  (Read 15406 times)

1badbagger

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 1962 XLCH
    • CVO3: 1965 FLH
Re: Tuning CFR Slip-ons
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2015, 04:16:55 PM »

I am running the CFR's on my 2012 CVO with vance & hines dresser duals and it has great sound. I did install the big city thunder baffles in the CFR pipe inlet, they helped a lot with the torque dip low end. I also had them in her 2010 CVO but hers had the Vance & hines power cell head pipe. Also installed big city thunder baffle in the pipes both bikes have Andrews 57H cams the x pipe is more quiet than the dresser duals.
Thanks Elmobiker, This is the feedback I was looking for. I put the CFR's on last weekend and they sound amazing. Now i'm forced to wait on the weather to break here in Pa. before I can get it to my dynotuner. It looks like were getting another 2-4 inches of snow accompanied by a polar vortex this weekend. I do have a few questions about the big city setup in your 2012.
1. How different do the Cfr's sound with Big City baffles installed? (Does it lose the deep sound or make it any throatier)
2. Did you totally gut the pipe? (front and back baffle)
3. How is the front input baffle installed and removed? The back one (screen) appears to be held in by the end tip with three allen screws

Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to decide if I want to go this route before I take it to the tuner. I like the idea of making it perform better and make it easier for my tuner, I just don't want to lose that sweet deep sound. I know i'll need to pull them off of the bike again to get at the front baffle. I'm wondering how it will sound and perform with just changing the back one? Thanks in advance for any more advice or detailed info on your 2012 setup.

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 02:34:33 AM »

Come on down for some Texas style BBQ.

Now surely you know Oklahoma will always be on top of Texas!  :bananarock:
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 08:05:04 AM »

HA HA
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

elmobiker

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 07:48:20 PM »

Thanks Elmobiker, This is the feedback I was looking for. I put the CFR's on last weekend and they sound amazing. Now i'm forced to wait on the weather to break here in Pa. before I can get it to my dynotuner. It looks like were getting another 2-4 inches of snow accompanied by a polar vortex this weekend. I do have a few questions about the big city setup in your 2012.
1. How different do the Cfr's sound with Big City baffles installed? (Does it lose the deep sound or make it any throatier)
The sound is no different with them installed
2. Did you totally gut the pipe? (front and back baffle)
No I ordered the size that would slide in to the muffler, install the screw that holds them in place inside so no holes drilled.
Just in the pipe so it still slides on the header pipe. 1.5" or you could tack weld them in mine never cam loose yet.

3. How is the front input baffle installed and removed? The back one (screen) appears to be held in by the end tip with three allen screws
I did not disassemble any part of the muffler to in stall them wanted to make sure they worked first.
Yes install them before you take it to the tuner. Let me know how it works out.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to decide if I want to go this route before I take it to the tuner. I like the idea of making it perform better and make it easier for my tuner, I just don't want to lose that sweet deep sound. I know i'll need to pull them off of the bike again to get at the front baffle. I'm wondering how it will sound and perform with just changing the back one? Thanks in advance for any more advice or detailed info on your 2012 setup.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 07:53:15 PM by elmobiker »

Ultraclassic11

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 10:46:46 AM »

I put a stage two high output breather on my 2014 CVO Limited. Installed rush true duals. Now I want to install CFR 4" slip one.
Question is: what size baffles should be installed if any. I was told I need a certain amount of back pressure for performance. Oh, I like the deep low rumble of the CFR's!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 04:48:12 PM »

I put a stage two high output breather on my 2014 CVO Limited. Installed rush true duals. Now I want to install CFR 4" slip one.
Question is: what size baffles should be installed if any. I was told I need a certain amount of back pressure for performance. Oh, I like the deep low rumble of the CFR's!!

Hi and welcome to the forum. The older version of the CFR's don't have baffles, and some have installed Big City Thunder baffles in them. The newer ones apparently already have a baffle. You could always call the company as well- I hear they are helpful, and often Carey Faas himself answers the phone.

2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 01:42:36 AM »

UC11,

I bought my CFRs in July 2014, so they may have changed since then, but on mine, there isn't a removable baffle (I know you didn't claim there is; just trying to describe them correctly).  You can look straight through the muffler and see daylight.  As you look through them, around the circumference of the body you can see louvers.  My guess is these are part of what filter out the high-pitched sounds and leave only the great low-frequency rumble.

As far as adding baffles, I have run mine both with and without the Big City Thunder QQ Thunder Monster baffles https://www.bigcitythunder.com/.  IMO, the QQs provide about 10% reduction in loudness, and almost no effect on the quality of the sound.  They do help raise the torque and throttle response at low RPM.

HTH
If you want peace, prepare for war.

ptnlinda

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 12:36:13 AM »

UC11,

I bought my CFRs in July 2014, so they may have changed since then, but on mine, there isn't a removable baffle (I know you didn't claim there is; just trying to describe them correctly).  You can look straight through the muffler and see daylight.  As you look through them, around the circumference of the body you can see louvers.  My guess is these are part of what filter out the high-pitched sounds and leave only the great low-frequency rumble.

As far as adding baffles, I have run mine both with and without the Big City Thunder QQ Thunder Monster baffles https://www.bigcitythunder.com/.  IMO, the QQs provide about 10% reduction in loudness, and almost no effect on the quality of the sound.  They do help raise the torque and throttle response at low RPM.

HTH
What was the size and part number of the Baffle you got from Big City Thunder.
Thanks,
Peter T
2015 FLHTKSE
Fuel Moto Jackpot Headers
2" Muffler Cores
Thunder Max ECM
Detachable's Kit
Stainless Fasteners throughout.

Para Bellum

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 03:09:44 AM »

What was the size and part number of the Baffle you got from Big City Thunder.
Thanks,
Peter T
Go to the link above, then scroll down until you see QQ Thunder Monster baffles, then click there.  BCT emphasizes that you have to measure the header outlet diameter (for a head pipe installation like on the CFRs).  I have the QBL 1625 QQ Thunder Monster baffles.  They are 1.625" ID and 1.75" OD.  They are available in several other sizes, depending on your muffler or deader diameter.

From their web site:
Our new QQ series is available for the following size pipes:

pf42 1/8" inside diameter with a 2 1/4" outside diameter
2" inside diameter with a 2 1/8" outside diameter
1 7/8" inside diameter with a 2" outside diameter
1 3/4" inside diameter with a 1 7/8" outside diameter
1 5/8" inside diameter with a 1 3/4" outside diameter

$129.95 per pair + S&H*

ptnlinda

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 08:43:54 AM »

Double Coppers thanks for that info. So you are saying with the CFR's you actually install the baffles in the header pipes, I guess right at the end of the header where the CFR's slip on.
Peter T
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 08:49:22 AM by ptnlinda »
2015 FLHTKSE
Fuel Moto Jackpot Headers
2" Muffler Cores
Thunder Max ECM
Detachable's Kit
Stainless Fasteners throughout.

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2015, 02:19:24 PM »

FWIW from a tuner. The original slipons were not good for EFI applications due to absolutely no restriction...which these engines hate down low in the rpms.
After Cary updated them (1-2 years ago?) they work great.
If you have an early set give Cary a call and I'm sure he'll fix you up.
Bob

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2015, 02:28:33 PM »

Bob

I will disagree with you on working great. Better than the old set up yes but great compared to a good muffler .. cam the bike etc. I understand the look and sound of them but . I just did a back to back and no way did they work great. Now take the stock cam and tune the bike not bad , not as good as others but yes they can be tuned, and they tune much nicer than the old version.

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2015, 02:47:36 PM »

Bob

I will disagree with you on working great. Better than the old set up yes but great compared to a good muffler .. cam the bike etc. I understand the look and sound of them but . I just did a back to back and no way did they work great. Now take the stock cam and tune the bike not bad , not as good as others but yes they can be tuned, and they tune much nicer than the old version.
Steve,
Maybe I needed to use the word good rather than great. Lol
IMO there are only a few select slipons that I should call great, meaning provides more power with less db.
IMO, the CFRs sound great! And tune good. And provide good power for what they are.
So far the folks who own the newer ones and have the bike tuned for them are very happy IME.
Bob

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2015, 03:10:14 PM »

Agreed .

Crusher mellow's on my 124 is a total sleeper  I love it..

Para Bellum

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2015, 02:22:03 AM »

Double Coppers thanks for that info. So you are saying with the CFR's you actually install the baffles in the header pipes, I guess right at the end of the header where the CFR's slip on.
Peter T
Peter, yes that's exactly correct.  When you fill out BCT's order form, be sure to answer "Yes" to "Will this be a head pipe installation?"
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 20 queries.