Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Tuning CFR Slip-ons  (Read 15404 times)

1badbagger

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 1962 XLCH
    • CVO3: 1965 FLH
Tuning CFR Slip-ons
« on: January 31, 2015, 09:49:31 AM »

Found a used pair of newer design CFR pipes ;D   Now to get them tuned to my stock 110. I have V&H dresser duals with a SE super tuner thats presently flashed for V&H high outputs. I'm hoping this will be close enough to get it to my local tuner (when it ever stops snowing here) who is pretty good. Any advise on getting these to run without robbing too much power and popping would be appreciated.  Is anyone running this setup in a 110 with positive results? I heard they like a 13/2 AFR?

Thanks In Advance,

Dean

cembo

• Time To Ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: FLHRSE6
Re: Tuning CFR Slip-ons
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 10:00:44 AM »

Found a used pair of newer design CFR pipes ;D   Now to get them tuned to my stock 110. I have V&H dresser duals with a SE super tuner thats presently flashed for V&H high outputs. I'm hoping this will be close enough to get it to my local tuner (when it ever stops snowing here) who is pretty good. Any advise on getting these to run without robbing too much power and popping would be appreciated.  Is anyone running this setup in a 110 with positive results? I heard they like a 13/2 AFR?

Thanks In Advance,

Dean

See my posts on "dyno sheet". I have true duals with new CFR's. Tuned by Dave at Pocono HD in PA with TTS. I think he is one of the most experienced tuners in the area.

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 11:39:51 PM »

Speaking of Dave, I was considering doing a short road trip down to PA for a tune. I can't decide between Dave or Brian Beckley at Zepkas HD. I use the SESPT, but also have a TTS as I ran one of Steve's maps when I first had the bike, but had to get the SEPST when my builder did my tune.

I hear both guys are great, but which guy do you think would be a better choice?

Hope this isn't a thread hijack, lol.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

1badbagger

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 08:42:02 AM »

Speaking of Dave, I was considering doing a short road trip down to PA for a tune. I can't decide between Dave or Brian Beckley at Zepkas HD. I use the SESPT, but also have a TTS as I ran one of Steve's maps when I first had the bike, but had to get the SEPST when my builder did my tune.

I hear both guys are great, but which guy do you think would be a better choice?

No worries on the hijack. I've heard a lot of good things about Dave but have no personal experience with either of them. I was planning on using a local guy in Orwigsburg Pa.that came recommended to me. This is the first I heard about Brian at Zepkas. I would also be interested to hear any feedback from guys who dealt with them.

cembo

• Time To Ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: FLHRSE6
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 05:47:32 PM »

No worries on the hijack. I've heard a lot of good things about Dave but have no personal experience with either of them. I was planning on using a local guy in Orwigsburg Pa.that came recommended to me. This is the first I heard about Brian at Zepkas. I would also be interested to hear any feedback from guys who dealt with them.

Had my bike tuned by Dave last month and left with the impression that he truly knows what he is doing and takes pride in his work. I would have him tune my bike again.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 09:04:16 PM »

Brian wouldn't do the tune on mine with the SE Race Tuner.  He told me he would sell me a TTS tuner and use that. (I'm pretty sure it was TTS that he said).

1badbagger

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 07:03:17 PM »

It looks like the bike will be heading to Dave when the weather breaks. I'm hoping he can use my SE Super tuner. I've heard a lot of dyno tuners don't care for the standard SE tuners. I'd rather not spend the extra cash on the TTS if he can get the same results with what I have. I think they can do more with the super SE compared to the standard SE tuner.

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 01:41:50 AM »

To the OP, unless you are really in love with the dual headpipe, I think you would do better by switching to a 2-1-2. I know everyone is fond of Fullsac, but the stock catless headpipe is a great performer, and you could find one cheap.

That, plus a good tuner who could make it run nice with little or no power loss. Best is to ask the tuner's opinion though- he would know best.

As far as the tuners discussion, I find it surprising Brian doesn't use the SEPST, since he does his work at Harley dealer. Dave Stoddart I would believe, because he specializes in the TTS when he had his own shop, so the fact he now tunes out of an HD dealer wouldn't mean he would use the HD tuner. For me, I own both the TTS and the SEPST, so I could go to either, but Brian is closer and I'd feel better having a SEPST tune because if I ever needed it tweaked later, I know local tuners that could do that. No local tuners use the TTS though.

GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 02:01:05 AM »

For the OP, check out the thread entitled "Dyno Sheet". Maybe some answers to your questions.
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

1badbagger

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 07:27:35 PM »

Thanks for the advise North Star, I'm sure there's plenty of other headpipes and slip-ons that will give me better performance than what I've already chose, but I fell in love with the CFR sound and looking to make it work with my V@H headpipes and not lose to much power. I'm guessing I'm not going to lose much more than my current setup with the V@H high output slip-ons. The high outputs were on my Roadglide when I bought it. If I'm not happy with the CFR's this summer I will go back to the 2-1 Thunderheader setup I had on my 2004 SEEG next winter. I still miss that bike. That 103 would run circles around my 110 I have right now. :nixweiss:

ptnlinda

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 06:08:28 AM »

I'm interested to see how you go with this tune. I'm running the CFR's on the standard pipes at present but have a Fuelmoto 2-1-2 Stainless Steel system on it's way which I will fit and then instal the Thundermax I have waiting as well. Had a Thundermax on my previous bike a 2008 Ultra with V&H true duals and Monster Oval Slip On's. Loved it and the Thundermax did everything I asked of it. The service from Zippers from excellent the couple of times I needed to contact them.
2015 FLHTKSE
Fuel Moto Jackpot Headers
2" Muffler Cores
Thunder Max ECM
Detachable's Kit
Stainless Fasteners throughout.

elmobiker

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 11:37:48 AM »

I am running the CFR's on my 2012 CVO with vance & hines dresser duals and it has great sound. I did install the big city thunder baffles in the CFR pipe inlet, they helped a lot with the torque dip low end. I also had them in her 2010 CVO but hers had the Vance & hines power cell head pipe. Also installed big city thunder baffle in the pipes both bikes have Andrews 57H cams the x pipe is more quiet than the dresser duals. 

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 06:13:31 PM »

I did install the big city thunder baffles in the CFR pipe inlet, they helped a lot with the torque dip low end. I also had them in her 2010 CVO but hers had the Vance & hines power cell head pipe.

Just wondering if you had the bikes re-tuned after putting in the BCT baffles?
If you want peace, prepare for war.

elmobiker

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »

My 2012 was tuned with different exhaust Crusher and x-pipe was to quite changed to Dresser duals and CFR with big city.
Runs great now with the change would like to check it again to see where the A/F is or the Tuner that did it is the best out there.
The 2010 was tuned with the CFR's on and x-pipe but they took out the baffles they said they tune better with out them.
They installed a ring at the end of the pipes about 1/2 inch for restriction. It sounded bad removed them installed the big city,
sounds lot better and ran better. 98 hp & 111tq.
My 2012 has assume  low end torque.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 03:59:23 PM »

HIYA Elmo how are things in AZ.. Glad to hear you got the bike louder  HA HA .. You will need to take a road trip .. Come on down for some Texas style BBQ.

As for the CFR mufflers new or old they are tough to tune as they offer very little back pressure. Stock head pipe is more restrictive than after market so many times you fight the tune less with stock head pipe.  I am not fan of them as they give up low end power in most set ups.  A good tuner can tune them   :puke: if he has too,, Many of us try like hell not to.. Only thing worse are the CFR knock offs  those really suck.

I fail to see the reason to mod an engine and then take away power with a poor muffler.. Looks wise and sound I agree they are very nice..  But hey what do I know I also ride a shovel  ..  :2vrolijk_21:
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 24 queries.