Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz - Contact Problems...  (Read 6029 times)

Rumblerider

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic
Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz - Contact Problems...
« on: February 05, 2015, 08:10:25 PM »

Hi All,

Working on my 2013 CVO Ultra.  Anyone had any problems installing the 1157 type Dynamic Ringz in their front turn signals?  I'm having issues with the contacts on the bulb-like insert.  The contacts are elongated instead of just dots of solder like on the end of an 1157 bulb!.  The contacts in the turn signal socket don't touch the contacts on the Dynamic Ringz bulb-like insert.  Did I get a bad set or what?  Any others had this problem and if so how did you solve it?

Thanks!
V&H Power Duals with Monster Ovals, SERT, GMR Performance Dyno Tune, Custom Dynamics Brake Light & Rear Turn Signals,  Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz for Front Signals, H-D DayMaker Head Lights and Aux Lights, and of course the Custom Billet Works "Screamin Eagle" on the Tour Pack!

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz - Contact Problems...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 08:18:10 PM »

Haven't heard of anyone having problems like that. Sounds like a bad set. Contact them as their customer service it top notch.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 08:28:23 PM »

Sounds like your putting the bulb in the wrong way.  Their are two pins on the side of the bulb, they are different heights.  If its not making contact turn the bulb 180 and try.

I have put the Dynamic Ringz in 3 of my wife's bikes now, and three of mine.  They will go in wrong and not work.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

graygus

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 Teal SEEG - Sold
    • CVO2: 08 Annie SERK - Sold
    • CVO3: 09 SEUC
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 08:32:45 PM »

Just came in from my shop and am having the same problem. Back ones work great but problems with the front.

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 08:45:57 PM »

Have then in both front and back and have not had and issue. I'd re-check the install just for sanity sake. You could also switch them to the back an see if the issue follows the bulb.
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 09:26:50 PM »

Sounds like your putting the bulb in the wrong way.  Their are two pins on the side of the bulb, they are different heights.  If its not making contact turn the bulb 180 and try.

I have put the Dynamic Ringz in 3 of my wife's bikes now, and three of mine.  They will go in wrong and not work.

X2!  Had same problem, turn them 180 degrees
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Rumblerider

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 12:14:50 AM »

Thanks everyone for your inputs!  I tried to turn them 180 degrees and they won't go in at all.  I've put them in exactly the same direction as the bulbs with the lowest pin to the top and they go in fine and I'm able to turn them and make them stay in place.  When I try 180 out, they won't push in and I can't turn them.  I'll give the company a call tomorrow and see about swapping them out.  Attached are the pictures that show the differences in the "bulb" base contacts.  As you can see, the 1157 bulb has nubs that penetrate down into the contact wells of the sockets and the Dynamic Ringz "bulb" contacts are long and not as pronounced, lending to them floating over the top of the plastic and not getting down to the socket contacts.  Once I install the CD-DR on the right side, It will only function in a signal mode until I press it in with my hand.  Once I press it in slightly, the ring lights up too.  I believe my only option with this design is to add a ball of solder to the center of each contact, but I don't want to mess them up and not be able to swap them out with CD.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:59:20 PM by Rumblerider »
V&H Power Duals with Monster Ovals, SERT, GMR Performance Dyno Tune, Custom Dynamics Brake Light & Rear Turn Signals,  Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz for Front Signals, H-D DayMaker Head Lights and Aux Lights, and of course the Custom Billet Works "Screamin Eagle" on the Tour Pack!

Rumblerider

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 02:02:40 PM »

Here's the photo of the socket, showing the contacts below the surface of the plastic holder.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 02:49:33 PM »

I suppose I would send these photos to CD and ask them for replacements and verify beforehand that the contacts protruded beyond the base to ensure contact. 
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

digga25

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 serg
    • CVO2: 2010 sesg
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 03:50:49 PM »

Looks to me like the plastic that surrounds the contact nubs is too thick and may have been cast wrong.Looks like there needs to be more protrusion like you said.

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 04:07:29 PM »

A picture is worth a 1000 words...  Definitely looks like the contacts are recessed when they should be sticking out a bit.  I'm sure they will get it sorted out in short order.

Very helpful post (pics) in case others run into the same problem.

Best Regards,

M

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

mrambo4

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO3: 2015 CVO Street Glide. 2014 CVO Soft tail
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 11:36:52 PM »

Isn't usually there some spring feel to installing the bulbs?  So the plastic will drop down and then make the contact and make the bulb fit tight. 

Rumblerider

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 01:33:03 AM »

mrambo4,

There is a spring behind the plastic, but the way the contacts are made on the bottom of the CD "bulb" prevents them from positively contacting the socket connectors.  The socket connectors float in the plastic and the CD "bulb" contacts can depress the spring by sitting on top of the plastic without necessarily hitting the contacts that may stay below the surface of the plastic.  The 1157 bulb contacts take all the guess work out by fitting inside the hollowed out plastic and directly pressing on the socket contacts.

GWN

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 01:30:35 AM »

If you have a small file (or a dremel) try taking a bit of the solder off of the elongated ends so that the raised portion is round only in the middle. Maybe the contacts will then drop down and make contact like the bulbs do.

Rumblerider

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 12:19:49 PM »

Thought I'd drop an update on the issue.

Called CD and they recommended adding the drop of solder on then end of the "bulb".  I did that and the right one now works solid all the time.  The left one still has some kind of issue with the socket where the white ring is all that will light and when I turn on the signal, the white ring blinks.  So I'm back to trying to figure out how to resolve the socket issue on the left side.  Anyone know how to pull the socket out of a bullet style turn signal?  It almost looks like the black rubber ring has to come out before the reflector will come out.  Is it even possible to get the socket out?

Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 24 queries.