Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Mounting GPS on the fairing like the Ultra's  (Read 8585 times)

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
Mounting GPS on the fairing like the Ultra's
« on: February 16, 2015, 10:31:55 PM »

I've been thinking about a GPS for my bike.  I don't want it mounted on the bars.  I want it on the fairing like the Ultra's.

What kit do I need?  Can I buy the Harley mount and get my own GPS?  I want it hard wired with no extra cables showing.

Anyone have pics of how they did this job? 

Thanks Brett
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
D&D FatCat Performance Baffle
Thundermax

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Mounting GPS on the fairing like the Ultra's
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 08:29:52 AM »

If you want the Harley fairing mount then you will have to have a Harley branded Zumo (Road Tech 660 or 665) or the Garmin Zumo 660 or 665.
Only Harley sells the fairing mount.

Only the Harley Road Tech GPS will work with the Harley Navigation Interface Module (NIM). You don't need to install the NIM if you don't want it.

jim@hdbomm.com
Ride It Like You Are Retired

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 03:49:50 PM »

I'm assuming the NIM allows the GPS to play through the motorcycle speakers?

Does this kit include everything I need?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/road-tech-zumo-665-gps-navigator-with-xm-pa-08-76000014--1
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
Thundermax

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 06:54:04 PM »

The NIM makes it a really nice set up. GPS directions play through the speakers as does XM and weather alerts. Just make sure you have your big boy pants on when you start drilling that painted fairing!  :'(
RETIRED! :fireman:

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 07:31:29 AM »

Here is more information on what the NIM does and how it works and setup.

http://www.hdbomm.com/NIM_What_It_Does___How_to_Connect_it_.doc

jim@hdbomm.com
Ride It Like You Are Retired

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE ANV
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE - Crashed 7/31/2015. May she rest in pease
    • CVO3: 2003 VROD - sold
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 10:58:41 AM »

Brett,   there are at least five separate methods that I found for mounting a 665 on the dash of my 04  ...  I have actually purchased 1-4 methods in an attempt to find the best solution for my ride so if you want to see any photos of them that you cant find on the web, let me know ...    I do have the NIM, but not planning on using it as it conflicts with the Harley cell phone interface that I have been very happy with for several years  ;D .      1 and 2 below don’t seem to work well with the yaffe monkey bars I am using,  so 3 or 4 are the options I will be going with …     

1)  Harley dash mount without dash pad  ( GRC mentioned in post above)

2) Harley mount with dash pad factory  on later model CVO’s  (buy individual parts, no kit available)

3) t and t manufacturing mount for use with windshield bags (im still waiting to receive this one to evaluate) http://www.tandtfabrications.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

4) t and t manufacturing mount, use without padded dash or windshield bags ( says not for use with zumo, but does fit when used with  http://www.kradellock.com/      http://www.tandtfabrications.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

5) ironaccesspeedmount     http://www.ironacesspeedshop.com/street-glide-iphone-gps-mount/   ( I never actually tired this one because it didn’t look like it worked with windshield bags)

hope one of these ideas are helpful

Dave
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dominator prewired meathooks 10" (Nice, but shoulda got the 12's)
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
AG ATX-30-HD lithium battery
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
INNOVV K2 X 2 DVR 4 Camera
AIM Clutch Slave

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 11:47:59 AM »

Thanks for all the info and help guy's!!!

I'll do some homework now and see how I want to go about this.  I like the CVO Ultra set up as it looks clean to me.  However those t and t fairing mounts look good too.

My main reason for doing this is a couple times a year I go up to Wisconsin riding and we're getting tired of the same old route.  I'd like to explore a little more but it gets frustrating driving the back roads basically lost.  Wisconsin has a lot of really nice roads off the beatin path.  By having a GPS I can just enjoy the ride instead of worrying about making everyone in the group happy by not getting lost.  I ride with some thirsty people and if they don't get to a watering hole in a certain amount of time they get grumpy. ::)

I'd also like to have XM too.  I don't use my Ipod hook up because it doesn't play loud enough so I'm limited to a MP3 CD.

I plan to keep my bike a few more years so I think it may be worth the investment.  I'd love the new radio/GPS on the new bikes but I haven't gotten the goody out of my bike yet.

I've been watching ebay for a GPS set up but no complete kits so far.  Be nice to save a few bucks if I can.
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
Thundermax

mark

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 01:27:35 PM »

Quote:  I'd also like to have XM too.  I don't use my Ipod hook up because it doesn't play loud enough so I'm limited to a MP3 CD.

My iPod plays just as loud as any device I hookup, the CD player,  radio, etc.  By chance is the volume control on your iPod turned down? 

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 06:56:09 PM »

To my knowledge on the 2011 and 2012 CVO's with factory Ipod hookups won't allow for a volume control on the Ipod.  I have tried 2 different Ipods on my bike and I couldn't adjust the volume on either.
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
Thundermax

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 08:31:31 PM »

Almost forgot the 660 does phone too. I only use it on trips. It accesses my phone by Bluetooth and I use a scala headset. My phonebook, or incoming caller pops up and the screen and all that good stuff. Pretty cool to me, but then I remember rotary phones too.  ;)

mark

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 10:24:02 PM »

To my knowledge on the 2011 and 2012 CVO's with factory Ipod hookups won't allow for a volume control on the Ipod.  I have tried 2 different Ipods on my bike and I couldn't adjust the volume on either.

Without having the advantage of looking at the iPod in question...you might try Googling "iPod volume limit."  See below.  Or, I'd take the iPod by an Apple Store and let one of the kids working there look at it.

http://m.wikihow.com/Unlock-iPod-Volume-Limit

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 03:28:05 PM »

I'll give that a try and see if it works.  Once you hook the Ipod up to the cord on the bike it seems like it has to be controlled by the hand controls.  Nothing on the ipod controls work.  Maybe your link will get the volume up for me.
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
Thundermax

bklynserg

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 09:29:10 AM »

Almost forgot the 660 does phone too. I only use it on trips. It accesses my phone by Bluetooth and I use a scala headset. My phonebook, or incoming caller pops up and the screen and all that good stuff. Pretty cool to me, but then I remember rotary phones too.  ;)

does that mean the music you have on the cell phone can also play thru the 660?
2011 SERGU Black & Slate picked up Jan 2013

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 10:37:28 PM »

Probably so. I haven't tried that yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 25 queries.