Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Mounting GPS on the fairing like the Ultra's  (Read 8586 times)

UAV Pilot

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUSE3
Re: Mounting GPS on the fairing like the Ultra's
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 01:30:11 PM »

I found all the parts for the windshield mounted GPS.  Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of it here in Afghanistan, but I kept all the parts numbers and pieces.  I believe it was a factory mount on either a Road King or Street Glide I do not remember.

Item Number   Description   Quantity
6150W   Washer   3
2467           Screw Hex Socket   3
76000196   Inner Mount Bracket   1
76000194   Outer Mount Plate   1
76000195   Outer Mount Gasket   2
2994           Thumb Screw   2
7118           Washer   2
73000198   Inner Mount Plate   1
76000199   Pin, Inner Mount   1
Better to Remain Silent and Thought a Fool, Than To Open One's Mouth and Remove All Doubt......Abraham Lincoln

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 06:38:20 PM »

I used the factory mount and had it molded in. I have the Zumo 660, blue tooth to my phone had Scala headset, doesn't go through the stereo. I am pretty happy with this setup except the GPS is grey instead of black.

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 06:40:09 PM »

GPS Not installed

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 06:41:35 PM »

GPS installed

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 09:22:44 PM »

Here is more information on what the NIM does and how it works and setup.

http://www.hdbomm.com/NIM_What_It_Does___How_to_Connect_it_.doc

jim@hdbomm.com
In case you newbies didn't know this guy is the wizard with wires from what I have seen and heard over time since he makes up these thingies himself. And lots of folks right here on this site have been helped by him. :drink:

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »

Thanks for the pictures.  Let's me know exactly how it will look.

I did some searching and so far Kutter Harley Davidson has the best price by far.

I'd be more motivated to buy it if there wasn't 4 inches of snow coming tomorrow. 8) 8)
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
D&D FatCat Performance Baffle
Thundermax

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 12:30:07 PM »

I'm getting ready to order and came across with video.  What is an HD Bomm and this video makes it sound like I have to plug in to the front of my radio at the aux port?  I take it the extra kit you buy to play through the bike speakers is not plug and play?

2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
Thundermax

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 02:55:10 PM »

It shows you how to connect the GPS and the HD Bomm. You don't need to connect the HD Bomm the video just shows you how IF you were going to. Just ignore the parts about the Bomm. In order to hear the turn prompt from the GPS through the bikes radio you need to connect the audio output from the GPS to the Auxiliary Input on the lower right hand corner on the front of the radio. If you want the turn prompts to automatically interrupted what is playing on the radio and play the turn prompt then you will need to instal the Navigation Interface Module (NIM) and you must use the Harley branded Garmin  (Road Tech) 660 or 665 and not the Zumo.

You would use the HD Bomm If you wanted to have the ability to make and take phone calls via the GPS's Bluetooth phone option then you would install the HD Bomm.

Jim@hdbomm.com
Ride It Like You Are Retired

Copyless

• GA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCU (close to a CVO)
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 03:08:40 PM »

I'm getting ready to order and came across with video.  What is an HD Bomm and this video makes it sound like I have to plug in to the front of my radio at the aux port?  I take it the extra kit you buy to play through the bike speakers is not plug and play?

The HD Bomm gives you the ability to talk on the RT Zumo, while you can Bluetooth your phone to the RT Zumo and you could make and receive calls, however, you could not talk to the person with the mic, you could only hear the people on the other end, so he produced the HD Bomm and with this you can talk on the unit also. So, unless you want the ability to talk on the unit, the HD Bomm is not needed, it is a nice addition though.

Have you decided what you want to do as far as capabilities? I ask because I see that you mentioned a couple of different scenarios, so I wondered if you had any better idea, as I have installed and set this up several times and can give you what may or may not work. Because I don't think it has been mentioned but, there are actually two of each model 660 and 665, there is the Zumo 660/665 and the RT Zumo 660/665, if you use the HD dash mount with the NIM (which is a great interface) either of the models of 660/665 will in fact hook up to the mount BUT ONLY THE RT ZUMO 660/665 will disrupt the radio with the NIM, the Zumo 660/665 will not.

So if you want just GPS you can use the dash mount with either of the four Zumo's, if you want XM then you need one of the two 665's, if you want to disrupt the radio and spoken directions then you will need the dash mount, NIM, and either of the two RT Zumo's, if you want to be able to talk on the phone with the unit then you will need the dash mount, NIM, HD Bomm, and either of the two RT Zumo's. I hope this helps some, but if you know what you want to do specifically I probably can help with some info.

Just in case RT = Road Tech and this is HD's branded version of the Zumo. NIM = Navigation Interface Module and I referenced the dash mount in all items because you had said that you really liked it (I also think it is the best choice if using any Zumo model). I also stress the point of the two models of Zumo's, because you would not understand the amount of people that go online and buy the Zumo 660/665 and the NIM only to find it will not function correctly, because it is not the RT version. I actually called and discussed this with Garmin several years ago when the NIM was first introduced, because it is easy for most to make this mistake, they are both called Zumo 660 or Zumo 665, my point was they should have changed the HD branded to say Zumo 670/675 anything other than just adding RT to the exact same name and number.

It said someone had made a reply while I was typing did I want to read it first, I decided no, but I didn't know it would be you Jim, anyway, Jim knows his product (which like I said before is a great product, I have had one for 5 yrs?), so now you have two answers, the only thing I would add after reading Jim's reply would be that with the NIM you would not need the cable to the front Aux at all unless you went with the 665 and used XM, also if you use the front input for your spoken directions then the radio has to be on the Aux input to hear them, I just add this info because a lot of people do not think about these things.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 03:18:11 PM by Copyless »

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 08:28:20 AM »

Nice write up Copyless.

I would add one more thing.

All Zumo's or RT Zumo's have the ability to store MP3 songs on a micro SD card, hundreds of them. Also both models of the 665 have XM Radio. In order to hear those songs or the XM Radio you must use the Auxiliary Input on the radio and the radio must be in the "AUX" mode of operations.  So whichever Zumo GPS you decide to go with you will need to connect to the Auxiliary Input in order to hear the stored songs and or XM Radio.
Jim@hdbomm.com

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 09:26:07 AM »

This clears a lot of things up for me.

I don't care about getting calls while riding.  The phones in the tour pac when I ride and that's where it belongs.

I would have liked the turn by turn through my speakers but I do not want the cable in the front of the radio.  I want a clean looking install.  I've read many threads pertaining to this and most seem to get along fine without it.

I also didn't think through the MP3 function on the Garmin either.  If I used it I would need to switch songs using the garmin and not the bike hand controls.  Don't like that either.  I tend to surf the music a lot depending on my mood.

So basically if I'm using the T by T I need to be on AUX with a cord running to the front of my radio.  Then if I want music it would have to be what was on the Garmin or XM since I'm in AUX?  I take it that the XM display would also be on the Garmin so to change channels I would need to go there instead of my bike hand controls?  None of this appeals to me.  Not that I can't do more than one thing at a time while riding but one of my main reasons for getting a GPS is to take the stress out of riding, not adding to it.

If my assumptions are correct I may just get the RT 665 for now and the fairing mount and try that for a while and see how I get along.  If I decide later that I want the T by T then I can get the harness and live with the cord in the radio.  I had an Ipod on my old bike with the cord going to the front input and the Ipod on the handle bars.  It worked but I eventually took it off and went to burning MP3 CD's.  It was too much to mess with while riding.  That's why I was excited to get my CVO because of the Ipod in the saddlebag.  That was a let down.  Doesn't play loud enough and starts at the beginning of the playlist every time you shut the bike off.  Now I'm back to burning MP3's on a disk. ;)

2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
Thundermax

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 09:47:13 AM »

If you don't like the looks of the cord going to the AUX on the front of the radio you can modify the radio to add an Auxiliary Input to the back of the radio. You can find step my step directions with pictures to do this at www.hdbomm.com or you can send the radio to Iron Cross Audio and they will install one for you at a reasonable cost.

jim@hdbomm.com

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 10:33:16 AM »

Thanks for the info!  I like that option better.  I'll look though the link and see if it's something I can handle.
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
Thundermax

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 11:33:06 AM »

Thanks for the info!  I like that option better.  I'll look though the link and see if it's something I can handle.
They also have some other options that you may like, such as an iPod interface.  I have read probably a thousand golden reviews about them.  Top notch, if you go that route.
Big Lew
IBA #595

Copyless

• GA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCU (close to a CVO)
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 02:19:59 PM »

The cable in front of the radio (for AUX input) is not needed for the turn by turn directions, it is only needed for the music, I have never had the Aux cable hooked up to my bike or any other bike that I set up, because most people that install the NIM also install the iPod interface and don't care about using the Garmin for music. I thought I had made it clear above, but I must not have, anyway if you want the unit to work with the radio completely, as in, interrupt the radio and give prompts, just not play music or talk on it, then you DO NOT need the Aux cable at all, just the NIM, the Garmin RT Zumo 660/665, and the dash mount, the Aux cable will not be used, as the directions come across the input that was always there on the back of the radio, but is just empty pin placement positions without the NIM, when installing the NIM you  will remove 5 rubber plugs from the connector to the radio and put in 5 pins that are on the NIM harness, this is what interfaces everything with the Garmin, EXCEPT for STEREO music from the Garmin, to have music in stereo from XM or mp3 files on the Garmin, this is what the Aux cable that plugs in the front is needed for, nothing else.

If you look at Fast380's reply (reply #17 and #18) that is exactly how  the NIM  and dash mount will look both with and with the unit, and you may notice that there is no cable attached to the Aux input, exactly the way those pics look, is how it would look, and it would interrupt the radio and give spoken directions.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 02:26:38 PM by Copyless »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 25 queries.