Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Back To Stock Headpipe  (Read 7493 times)

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
Re: Back To Stock Headpipe
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 11:15:22 AM »

Delta, feel your pain.  I wear hearing aids, not when riding, and also have pretty bad tinnitus.  Supertrapp was the solution that let me ride in the most comfort.  Hope your riding season is a good one.
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

georgw221

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 11:27:52 AM »

Delta, feel your pain.  I wear hearing aids, not when riding, and also have pretty bad tinnitus.  Supertrapp was the solution that let me ride in the most comfort.  Hope your riding season is a good one.

Rick. How many discs did you use and is it closed or open endcap?

If you could post a Dyno Sheet that would be Great!!

Delta

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 11:44:17 AM »

Well if this setup doesn't do the trick, I'll be putting on the stock cans next. I think the noise level will be under control for my ears.

2011 FLHTCUSE6, Fullsac Sportpipe, Stock CVO Mufflers, Oil bypass vented, Power Vision

In Memory of Chappy

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 12:27:03 PM »

I have the same issue Delta - tinnitus, 24/7 - screaming at times, and do whatever I can to prevent it getting worse. For years I never wore a helmet and now use a full faced Shoei which has really helped on the noise factor - anything is better than constant wind noise in your ears from a half shell or no helmet. Although they don't get much ink on this forum, I had V&H Monster Ovals installed and this change has helped. They sound good and aren't obnoxious.

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2015, 02:06:57 PM »

Pretty sure I have 32 disc in my Supertrapp Supermeg and it is closed end  Will dig out my dyno sheet and post it later. Scan of dyno is attached.  Can't find my most recent, which was 6 months later to remove the 259E cams and go back to the 255.  I just like the way it ran better with the 255 so had Doc reset for the 255.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 02:30:44 PM by CVORick »
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

Delta

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 04:49:40 PM »

At long last the temp finally got above 45. Loaded a new tune from the Power Vision. When it nudged 50* that was it, started the bike up and went for a short 100 mile test run. No exhaust leaks and much quieter with the stock headpipe installed. The Monster Rounds still have a deep sound, much more bearable to my ears. Seemed much more responsive down low. I think I'm going to appreciate the change over. Now the wait begins until the gas stations get rid of the winter gas so I can get serious about auto tuning.

2011 FLHTCUSE6, Fullsac Sportpipe, Stock CVO Mufflers, Oil bypass vented, Power Vision

In Memory of Chappy

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 09:22:53 PM »

Cat in or out?
Will

Delta

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 10:26:47 PM »

Cat is in. I've got another headpipe I can take the cat out of if the heat gets too hot. I think I'll be fine as I have the Wards Fans. Been using them since 2012 and they really work. My engine temp was 205* today (on my PV gauges)

In Memory of Chappy

navigator

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 08:44:50 AM »

I have the same issues with hearing and tinnitus so finding a performance set-up that runs cool and free was my objective. My buddy who keeps his ultra at my house runs the V&H Monster ovals on stock header with cat. Having heard and riden his bike I like this and decided to put this on my new ride plus the V&H Power Duals 2-1-2 catless. I ran the stock SE setup for 1K miles then brought bike back for placement of the V&H’s set-up and dyne tune. It sounded great at the dealer, but on the first ride it was way too loud for the wife and I. I wanted to keep the V&H header as I like the performance and the looks, and I wanted catless. I tried the SE’s that came on the bike and this was ok. After lots of research I tried the Suppertrapp Fat Shots with 8 disc and closed caps. Thanks for the great support from Supertrapp. I am very happy with this set-up. going in for re-dyno today!

I did some SPL measurements for my own use. These are not very scientific but hopefully give some useful information.

It is a Radio Shack Digital SPL meter. Below are the results taken from the rider seat location

Response set to fast

Weighting set to A

Stock header / stock pipe:  Idle = 80   3K = 90
V&H Header / stock pipe:   Idle = 81   3K = 91
V&H Header / V&H MO:     Idle = 85   3K = 99
V&H Header / FatShot 8 d:  Idle = 76   3K = 90

Weighting set to C

Stock header / stock pipe:  Idle = 94   3K = 104
V&H Header / stock pipe:   Idle = 95   3K = 104
V&H Header / V&H MO:     Idle = 100 3K = 112
V&H Header / FatShot 8 d:  Idle = 89   3K = 99

The guys at FuelMotto also have a lot of data on sound in different set-ups
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 12:31:39 PM by navigator »
2015 CVO Roadglide (RG2)
FuelMotto 2-1-2 with E-Series, Pro-Action Rear Shocks, Ricor intimidators, Klockwreks, Carls Soft-brake, BOOM 2

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2015, 08:55:16 AM »

Good info

Stock pipes and VH header for me is kind of quiet coming off a VH monster ovals with 30k miles and same headpipe. Dealer told me they will get louder as they get more miles. Not bad until doing 500 mile days, the drone gets to be much.
Will

georgw221

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 10:07:08 AM »

I have the same issues with hearing and tinnitus so finding a performance set-up that runs cool and free was my objective. My buddy who keeps his ultra at my house runs the V&H Monster ovals on stock header with cat. Having heard and riden his bike I like this and decided to put this on my new ride plus the V&H Power Duals 2-1-2 catless. I ran the stock SE setup for 1K miles then brought bike back for placement of the V&H’s set-up and dyne tune. It sounded great at the dealer, but on the first ride it was way too loud for the wife and I. I wanted to keep the V&H header as I like the performance and the looks, and I wanted catless. I tried the SE’s that came on the bike and this was ok. After lots of research I tried the Suppertrapp Fat Cats with 8 disc and closed caps. Thanks for the great support from Supertrapp. I am very happy with this set-up. going in for re-dyno today!

I did some SPL measurements for my own use. These are not very scientific but hopefully give some useful information.

It is a Radio Shack Digital SPL meter. Below are the results taken from the rider seat location

Response set to fast

Weighting set to A

Stock header / stock pipe:  Idle = 80   3K = 90
V&H Header / stock pipe:   Idle = 81   3K = 91
V&H Header / V&H MO:     Idle = 85   3K = 99
V&H Header / FatCat 8 d:  Idle = 76   3K = 90

Weighting set to C

Stock header / stock pipe:  Idle = 94   3K = 104
V&H Header / stock pipe:   Idle = 95   3K = 104
V&H Header / V&H MO:     Idle = 100 3K = 112
V&H Header / FatCat 8 d:  Idle = 89   3K = 99

The guys at FuelMotto also have a lot of data on sound in different set-ups

Good luck on your tune using  the Supertrapp Fatshots ..I had a set on a 09 Ultra with a 96" and SE 255 Cams...Ended up using 14 disc with closed end cap...I started with 10 disc, I couldn't tell much difference in sound between the 10 and 14..If you dyno guy changes disc Make Sure he Knows the proper way to tighten the screws ... If the disc are to tight it will HURT Performance ..You will Love the Deep but not loud sound ,,,Almost forgot your bike will also run better than it ever has with the V&H's ..Please post a Dyno Sheet..   

navigator

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 11:32:30 AM »

Thanks for the info and heads-up. I actually did the disc adjustments and mounted the pipes myself with the help of ST Tech Support. Will post the dyno sheet when done. The ride to the dealer was nice, much more low end torq then the complete V&H set-up and my ears are not ringing ;D.
2015 CVO Roadglide (RG2)
FuelMotto 2-1-2 with E-Series, Pro-Action Rear Shocks, Ricor intimidators, Klockwreks, Carls Soft-brake, BOOM 2
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 25 queries.