Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Ideas for first CVO owner  (Read 9208 times)

SERK919

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK Burgandy Blaze
    • CVO2: Ducati Streetfighter S
Ideas for first CVO owner
« on: March 14, 2015, 08:59:53 AM »

So, I'm about 5 days away from picking up first CVO Harley (13 SERK) and I've gone another night without sleep!  :P  I've been waffling back and forth on what to do first.  I'm not a mod junkie, but I do like to replace a few bits here and there.  Of course, need a little volume so the pipes could be first.  Then again, that daymaker LED headlight has been calling out to me as well.  My question is, what did you guys do first? 

Also, my exhaust plan so far is to just replace the mufflers with a set of V&H Monster Rounds.  With keeping the cat and the stock air cleaner, is there really a need to have the bike retuned?  Thanks in advance.

pkl

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Ideas for first CVO owner
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 09:21:16 AM »

You are starting off right; saying you are not wanting to do a lot but have started your slippery slope list. We all say that at first. Need to see what if anything was done to the bike and go from there. Yes, I have LED's, different pipes, headers and so on and so on.

SERK919

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 09:30:50 AM »

Yea, I know.  I'm trying to exercise some restraint on this motorcycle.  The bike appears to be stock with the exception of passenger floorboards and highway pegs.  Since it's a CVO, all bits are shiny!  I think what's more pressing though will be to get an extended warranty. 

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 08:06:02 PM »

Well first thing I did to my 13 SERK, was ride it 56 miles home from Dealership.  Then I put a fullsac head pipe, and fullsac 2.25 cores in the stock mufflers, and added a TTS Master tune with a map for that set up.  Then when the bike hit 2K miles 6 weeks later I built the motor, head work, pistons, cams, throttle body, injectors on so on.  Then I added the LED Daymaker headlight, and Dynamic rings led turn signals which I relocated to the forks.  Then when the 14 Yaffee monkey bars and stealth III plate frame.

But this is an 110th Anniversary numbered CVO which I plan to keep along with my 100th anniversary Fatboy.

My Normal CVO's that I trade every couple years I just do a complete exhaust system, TTS tuner and thats it.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 08:14:35 PM »

Harley is notorious for restricting the possible power you have access to, just because it's a CVO don't expect anything different.... if you're getting rid of the stock exhaust stuff you'll need to open up the volume of the intake, so get rid of that stock filter.

Depending on how many miles are on the bike there are some basic things that you'll want somebody to take a look at, look through the threads and see what tends to wear out first.

The plan to get the extended warranty is a good one, especially if you plan on keeping it for some time.. I didn't and I had to do my motor twice... that would have been covered if I had put the money up front.

That being said, it really is a crap shoot, there are plenty here who have has little to no issues at all.

Welcome to the club, get out and ride!

SERK919

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 02:58:03 AM »

The bike has 8,100 miles on it.  So, I was thinking of at least having the oil changed and looked over.  It's a rather complicated deal because I am flying into the states to purchase it and then I have to turn back around and fly back to the Middle East for work.  My father is meeting me there to trailer it back home for me because I won't have time.  From all the threads I have reading, I think the extended warranty is most definitely where I will start when I come back for vacation this summer.  I've already been quoted around $1,600 for two years from my home dealer in NC. 

casbar

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 RK
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 04:36:36 AM »

Started off with slash cut mufflers, then went to Daymaker Reflector headlight, and finally replaced headers with V&H dresser duals. So I have been very restrained :)

SERK919

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 05:36:44 AM »

Started off with slash cut mufflers, then went to Daymaker Reflector headlight, and finally replaced headers with V&H dresser duals. So I have been very restrained :)

Compared with some other builds I've seen here, that is rather restrained.  :)   I'm sure I will give in to temptation, but it's gonna take a while.   8)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 07:33:29 AM »

On my '13, first thing I did was order a matching King Tourpak, as you don't know how long they will offer color-matched accessories. Didn't add any lights to it, so removal is a breeze. Fullsac 2.25's and DX Pipe were next and then added LED Spots and Headlight. Last(& one of the best) things was a Danny Gray AirHawk Solo w/backrest. I also bought the passenger pad.....but it was a waste of money, easier to put stock setup back on when 2up.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

BritGuy

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 12:51:25 PM »

I guess it depends on what your riding plans are to a degree, long rides may lead you to screen, backrest and maybe a seat first, day rides, pipes, air cleaner and a tune. I had a Supermegg Supertrap, heated grips and the Garmin sat nav fitted on delivery. I have just changed out the rear shocks (a huge improvement) and got a TTS tune done to optimize the pipe and engine combo. I like the stock look and will probably go down the route of injectors and cams in the future.

So resistance is futile, modding will happen, even if others don't see it! Have fun working out the options, I know I do.

SERK919

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 01:04:16 PM »

I guess it depends on what your riding plans are to a degree, long rides may lead you to screen, backrest and maybe a seat first, day rides, pipes, air cleaner and a tune. I had a Supermegg Supertrap, heated grips and the Garmin sat nav fitted on delivery. I have just changed out the rear shocks (a huge improvement) and got a TTS tune done to optimize the pipe and engine combo. I like the stock look and will probably go down the route of injectors and cams in the future.

So resistance is futile, modding will happen, even if others don't see it! Have fun working out the options, I know I do.

Backrest...check!  Windscreen...not too sure about.  I'm 5'7 so I'll just have to find out.  Most of my riding will be around town and perhaps up to 3-4 hours away.  I had a VROD Muscle before this so I would like to just cruise and listen to some tunes.  I don't want to get crazy with the exhaust noise because I want to hear what I'm listening to.  I'd figured just a set of V&H Monster Rounds slip ons would do the trick.  With your exhaust setup, how is the audio system?

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 08:12:36 AM »

I have fullsac 2.25's and the stock sound system is fine with me. I can hear it fine in all but full throttle modes. BTW: your riders backrest goes in the mail today!! Enjoy
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

CHiZ_65

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 10:38:24 AM »

I've only had my CVO for a week! ...Daymakers are #1 on my list. The headlight and auxillary lights first. Then maybe the LED turn signals and brake light...
2007 Road King FLHRSE3
SE 585 cams
Rinehart True Duals

BritGuy

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 05:49:33 PM »

Backrest...check!  Windscreen...not too sure about.  I'm 5'7 so I'll just have to find out.  Most of my riding will be around town and perhaps up to 3-4 hours away.  I had a VROD Muscle before this so I would like to just cruise and listen to some tunes.  I don't want to get crazy with the exhaust noise because I want to hear what I'm listening to.  I'd figured just a set of V&H Monster Rounds slip ons would do the trick.  With your exhaust setup, how is the audio system?

I so very nearly went down the v.rod muscle route, like the power and the handling, just needed something well, slower. Licence preservation. I don't have music on my bike at all. It was not standard on the 2014, I think it was on the 2013. I like the Supertrapp a great deal, quiet in town and on gentle throttle opening, crack the grip and she roars! Best of both worlds.

cmashark

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHXSE
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 05:18:07 AM »

Slippery slope.. lol
|
|
|
|
|
V
Chris

2021 FLHXSE
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 20 queries.