Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Quality Control  (Read 6291 times)

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

Quality Control
« on: March 18, 2015, 11:21:42 AM »

We take pictures of just about every thing when we do a build it is then in a file. Nothing like having pictures to show what is really going on. Then its not a he said she said deal.

Here is a twin cooled SG  2015 CVO head  with 6500 miles on it that we pulled off yesterday. This bike is getting a 113 kit and our 600 cam HPI 58 Elliptical T/B

Here is a picture of the lack of quality control. These small pieces fell right off , some where laying in the rocker box area , and some by the look of the rest of the engine have gone through it.  The machining on the pushrod hole left small pieces ..  :thumbsdown:

2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Dogbone44mag

Re: Quality Control
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 12:18:13 PM »

I found similar crap in the heads of my '06 Ultra when I removed them.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 12:49:47 PM »

How is the owner going to address this issue?
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 12:51:44 PM »

What can you do.. It's not broken( based on how harley would look at it )  , and until the engine fails nothing that will happen. I flushed the lower end , cam chest, oil pump cam plate ( bypass passage)  and will flush the oil pan.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 02:34:40 PM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 01:20:49 PM »

Man that really sucks!! I sure feel blessed that you did not find that in my heads a few weeks ago.

Snakebyte

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 12:55:59 AM »

That is terrible. How can they get all away with this. They built their rep on this :nixweiss:

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 04:31:51 AM »

Seen worse over the years, cams timed wrong, male rod in the rear hole, cylinders left un-honed, etc, just don't have time running the day/day business to play around with a camera........ ;)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 04:35:45 AM by HILLSIDECYCLE.COM »

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 07:35:14 AM »

I think taking photos protects all parties involved. In addition when testing and documenting results, it helps long distance customers make decisions. I know I'd give my business to the guy who can back up any claims with photos,  dyno  testing, etc.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 08:25:26 AM »

That is terrible. How can they get all away with this. They built their rep on this :nixweiss:

I think we've explained exactly how they get away with it, on many occasions around here.  It's called having a customer base that ignores this sort of stuff and just keeps on buying the product.  While logic might dictate that a low quality overpriced product would eventually fail in the marketplace, fortunately for the folks at H-D there is nothing logical about their place in the market or their customers.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 08:34:43 AM »

I think taking photos protects all parties involved. In addition when testing and documenting results, it helps long distance customers make decisions. I know I'd give my business to the guy who can back up any claims with photos,  dyno  testing, etc.

Use of a camera is about as 101 as it comes in fact opinions like Ridgerunr are much more popular than many think. Shop volume may have something to do with what a shop does or does not do. We are a high volume shop and deal with customers from all over the US. So keeping a basic file of the bike when it comes in to snap a photo of any damage on the paint. Any items inside the engine  etc is not a big deal.

Our customer base also is thankful for the picture's as it documents their build. Just because its a day to day build for us to do , does not change the fact it's a huge deal for the customer.

Seen worse over the years, cams timed wrong, male rod in the rear hole, cylinders left un-honed, etc, just don't have time running the day/day business to play around with a camera........ ;)

And Scott it was not about what others have seen or what was worse, more so a basic post to show others that maybe when they take it apart they can check that area and look at other things to make sure its ok.. as well production engines can have issues. Many have never seen things like shops see. For many its a new world for shops to post up pictures of the engines while apart... ..

but since you seem to want to make it about  " a dick measuring contest" sure thing ,..... today the contest winner  is you.... congrats        :worthless:

« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 09:19:39 AM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 09:16:27 AM »

Our customer base also is thankful for the picture's as it documents their build. Just because its a day to day build for us to do , does not change the fact it's a huge deal for the customer.

Well stated and absolutely true from the customers perspective!  :2vrolijk_21:

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 09:58:30 AM »

CSI would be proud. :2vrolijk_21:

snowrider13

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 10:27:40 AM »

Thanks for the pics GMR, greatly appreciated.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 10:47:25 AM »

If you can't even find time to snap a couple of pictures what else are you rushing?  :nixweiss:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 10:59:40 AM »

Dick measuring aside, what the photo shows is how Harley increases profits while not caring about their customers.  After machining and deburring of the parts they need to be ran through a cleaning operation.  I cannot imagine anyone allowing things to be assembled and shipped like this.

Thank you for documenting what we are getting for our money from Harley.  I for one appreciate a shop that takes the time to document issues they find on customers bikes.

Good job guys.  :2vrolijk_21:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.