Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: HOG or not HOG?  (Read 6855 times)

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
Re: HOG or not HOG?
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2007, 12:42:27 PM »

I'm with ya , I've been a member of the local chapter all along , but this year I'm thinking of just staying National. [highlight]I had WAY more fun with the CVO group in Maggie Valley [/highlight]than I ever had with my local chapter

Nidan, my friend, those of us who were lucky enough to attend, know exactly what you mean there.  

This is why we have made it a point to go to York to meet up with CVO riders after the 05 MV event, why we went back to MV in 06, why we want to ride to KC to take a tour and eat steak, why we will go all the way to Nelson, BC to meet up with folks from the West side of our great country.

We still hang out with the HOG chapter locally when we are not chasing down the CVO friends, but the CVO friends are truly the BEST!  

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2007, 01:14:27 PM »

Mrs WeCVO,

Nice speech !
I've not share the CVO meeting but I appreciate the spirit.
You resume the essentials and it's perfect. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Regards
Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2007, 01:28:23 PM »

I tried the HOG thing years ago.  As far as the local chapters go, it seems to be geared more towards the new rider.  Like Hubbard, I have a different riding style.

I do keep the National HOG membership active for the road service (can't remember what they call it).  It's like AAA for Harleys and yes, on the way back from Sturgis, up in Idaho, my bike had to be trucked quite a ways when the cam chanin tensioner shoes took a dump.  That's piece of mind that's definately worth the few bucks, if you tour (I think most of us do).
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

RedFXR2

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2007, 02:21:18 PM »

Seems like others here have had basically the same experience as me, in various parts, anyway.

I tried the local HOG back in NC.  Went on two rides with them, but they were both more of a tightly structured, nearly parade experience than a fun day on the road.  No hard feelings but not my cup of tea.  I have always heard that the personality of various HOG chapters vary greatly.

[Sidebar, and soapbox warning  [smiley=soapbox.gif]]  I think Spiderman's mostly right about the constructed image of HOG being inspired by 1%'ers.   But so much of the whole Harley culture is based on mimicking the same groups.  It's always struck me as funny how so much of the Harley-marketed image claims freedom and rugged individuality, yet if you ride a Harley but don't look like that image, a lot of Harley folks claim you're not a "real" biker (like most of them are????  LOL).  "Biker", of course, is the operative term here, as opposed to "Motorcyclist" or "Rider" -- open to interpretation, I guess.  IMO, the public draws very different mental picures of each of those three words.  Harley knows it and cashes in on it, projecting the term "Biker" on its customers/culture.  My point is what about the freedom to not look like the mass-marketed image?  Is a person more of an individual dressing up in all-HD clothing and leather, therefore looking like everybody else in the stereotyped image, or wearing whatever suits them when they ride?

I joined the National organization just for the road service in case of breakdown in nowhere.  Then I heard of several experiences of National members who waited for HOG provided two service that never showed up.  Didn't get much out of the HOG magazine, so membership lapsed.  Probably would have kept it If I did any serious touring, though.

Never much looked into the local HOG chapter down here--I just don't have time to plan day rides ahead of time, with weekend family obligations and all.  I tend to ride on the spur of the moment, time and weather dependent.

I'm sure it's a good thing for some, maybe a good thing for lots of folks.  

« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 02:25:00 PM by RedFXR2 »

CVOMOE!!

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • BC

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2007, 05:01:32 PM »

Hey Spiderman and Beagle.  Read your posts.  Quite the opinions you have there.  Im an active HOG member and enjoy it very much as my previous post indicates.  We have some 275 members and I don't believe for a minute any of them want to be 1%'ers and they don't "pose" as such.  The HOG vest patches or " colours" as you refer to them are 2 pieces not 3.  WE DO NOT wear our "colours" except to HOG sanctioned events and most of them wear them solely to identify they are a member of that particular organization.  I've maybe had mine on 3-4 times and don't feel any different with it or without.  Why would anyone want to be a criminal and belong to a 1% organization anyway.?  I certainly wouldn't and I don't "pose". As far as riding skills go there's good and bad riders in any group.  We promote Advanced rider training in our group and most have participated.  As well I feel I'm a damn good rider and can ride with the best of them including the 1% ers.  The other people I ride with are also excellent riders.  It's a group not a club.

Just riding and having fun.  That's what it's all about.  It's either for you or it isn't.  Like everything in life it is personal choice.

Cheers, Moe
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Banana - Sold
Freedom Tru-duals
Power Commander
Dyno tuned
Now a 107" with Cycle Shack exhaust and Race Tuner
2007 BMW1200GS - What a hoot - Sold May 2010
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere - Sold
2014 Yamaha XT250 - Sold
2014 BMW F800GS - Sold
2014 Kawasaki KLX 351
2017 Triumph Explorer 1200
2017 Harley Ultra Classic Ltd

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2007, 05:38:02 PM »

Hey Spiderman and Beagle.  Read your posts. Quite the opinions you have ther.  Im an active HOG member and enjoy it very much as my previous post indicates.  We have some 275 members and I don't believe for a minute any of them want to be 1%'ers and they don't "pose" as such.  The HOG vest patches or " colours" as you refer to them are 2 pieces not 3.  WE DO NOT wear our "colours" except to HOG sanctioned events and most of them wear them solely to identify they are a member of that particular organization.  I've maybe had mine on 3-4 times and don't feel any different with it or without.  Why would anyone want to be a criminal and belong to a 1% organization anyway.?  I certainly wouldn't and I don't "pose". As far as riding skills go there's good and bad riders in any group.  We promote Advanced rider training in our group and most have participated.  As well I feel I'm a damn good rider and can ride with the best of them including the 1% ers.  The other people I ride with are also excellent riders.  It's a group not a club.

Just riding and having fun.  That's what it's all about.  It's either for you or it isn't.  Like everything in life it is personal choice.Cheers, Moe
Well said Moe [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]Could not have said it better myself. Apparently in Cal. there some H.O.G groups or person that think there bad ass? We have 1000's in attendance every year at our state rally and a great time for all. Met lots of wonderful people from local,state and national H.O.G events and never seen or heard anyone talk like you so.cal. boys are speaking colors and all high mighty [smiley=thumbsdown.gif] [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 05:40:23 PM by orangeseeg »

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2007, 08:52:34 PM »

personally, I think most of us put more miles on a year then most 1% ers do. most of them just ride from bar to bar.  besides,  going by todays figures,,  they only amount to maybe .01% of the motorcycling population.  if even

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2007, 09:21:27 PM »

You guys sure have some strange ideas about what HOG is. 1%er club wantabes??? I have never met those guys. Been a member since Feb 99, gone to local, state and national rallyes and had a decent time at all of them, met some nice folks,  saw some things I wouldn't have seen had I been at home. I belong locally, don't do there events but I figure they need my $20/year for something and the dealer has a couple of 20% off sales a year where she closes the store early, has a free dinner for HOG members only then reopens the store until 9PM for the sale. I have a drawer full of patches from stuff I have done over the years, never had one sewed onto anything, don't own a vest, too anal to poke a whole in my M/C coats for a pin etc. so it just seems to me me some of you are over thinking this thing. Belong, don't belong, who cares but so far I have seen nothing HOG does that will affect me living a few more years, then dieing.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »

Lest anyone think I am disrespecting any of you personally

It's not the people I don't like, it's the make believe colors  If HOG existed without the "colors"  top rocker, center patch ,bottom rocker, pocket patch, life member phoney baloney patches, I'd never say a word. An organization of motorcycle enthusiasts is a wonderful thing. And having a one piece patch isn't all that bad either if you want a way of saying to the world " I belong to - - - "  It's when it gets into the three piece patch and mimicks all the trappings of the 1% world that it goes astray. I do not mean to disrespect all of the good things that many of the local HOG chapters do, but at the end of the day, no one will ever convince me that in their heart of hearts the folks all decked out in thier "cuts" with their " colors "  don't think of themselves EVER, (not for one minute ) as an " outlaw biker" The MoCo with all their advisors and study groups and such knew this when they started HOG and realized they could create a benign version of (name your favorite Big Time 1% club) and capitalize on it. They shied away from it for awhile in trying to compete with " You meet the nicest people on a Honda " and realized they couldn't ever completely erase that image from people's minds , so why not captitalize on it.

B B
Wow, the local chapters in some states must be bad.  I've been a member of the National and Local chapter since I've been riding HDs.  I've been riding motorcycles for 36 years and will put my skills up against anyone, but have never considered myself a 1%, nor does the chapter I belong to.  If anything, our chapter is a bunch of "good ole boys and gals" that like to get together and enjoy a ride and friendship.   I go to the meetings because I like the people...our chapter has some of the largest percentage of turnout based on membership, because they want to be there...(we usually run about 150-200 members at each meeting.)  I look at it this way, we're all in this to do one thing, ride motorcycles and enjoy the feeling and experiences that it gives us.  Everyone has their way of doing that.  If you consider yourself a "true 1%", whatever that is, that's great, I'll ride with you just like I'll ride with anyone else that wants to share the motorcyling experience.  I'll even ride with, gasp  :o, other brands.  Sorry to soap box, but just because people don't ride or do things the way you do, doesn't make them any less of an enthusiast.  Sorry 'nuff said.  My apologies to anyone I may have offended in this rant.   [smiley=soapbox.gif]
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Bagger

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2007, 10:52:29 PM »

I am a member of National HOG, and I maintain membership with my hometown chapter (Tuckessee).  When I moved down to south Alabama, I tried to get involved with the chapter there, but I just never could get comfortable.  Their idea of a dinner ride was to ride one mile down the road from the dealership and eat spaghetti.  They trailered to many of their planned events.  I just didn't fit in with their style.  I haven't even tried the chapter here in north Alabama.  I'm very happy with my hometown chapter, and I'm close enough now to participate on a regular basis.

dereck

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHXSE2.ORG

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Black Diamond
    • CVO2: sold FLHRSE3 Black Ice
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2007, 10:20:16 PM »

I'm with Jeffj.  I've moved 7 times in the last 10 years.  

I join the local chapters to quickly learn the best rides  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2007, 10:30:51 PM »

Woah Dudes, Lookout, The HOG thread is alive again. Here we go again with folks calling each other wannabes and criminals and all manner of trash talkin  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

B B

Bagger

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2007, 10:41:46 PM »

Woah Dudes, Lookout, The HOG thread is alive again. Here we go again with folks calling each other wannabes and criminals and all manner of trash talkin  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

B B

Enter the instigator, Mr. SPIDERMAN, the self proclaimed wise-crackin' trash-talker. ::)

RedFXR2

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2007, 11:46:52 PM »

Enter the instigator, Mr. SPIDERMAN, the self proclaimed wise-crackin' trash-talker. ::)

You mean like this?:

I Spiderman, Big B. Lord Sleeze of the Fat and Sleezy, Jedi Master of Sarcasm, Bear Baiter, CVO Website self appointed Pain in the Ass, C.O.B. and far more lofty titles than I have room here to list, doth protest the heinous accusations of your henchmen ( sic ) Moderator. I have never once changed the subject of any thread on this site. I highjacked everyone of those threads for the amusement of myself and my brother and sister site members.

:o :o ;D ;D

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2007, 11:54:17 PM »

Hey Mike, how do you FIND quotes like that?  :o Do you have to remember them and which thread they were in???  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] or is there a easier way?  Guess we'll lose all this in the change over to the new software, huh?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Oh well, it'll be like a 'fresh start'   [smiley=cherry.gif] Har!  [smiley=drink.gif]  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 21 queries.