Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Infotainment Playlist on Flashdrive Help  (Read 8791 times)

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
Infotainment Playlist on Flashdrive Help
« on: April 22, 2015, 08:14:48 AM »

I downloaded a bunch of songs to a flash drive and am able to play them through the Infotainment System by pluging the flash drive into the usb port in the juke box.

Does anyone know of an easy way to create playlist from songs on a flash drive?

Draging playlist for Itunes  to the flashdrive does't seem to work.

I do get playlists when using iphone or Ipad.

Thanks

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: Infotainment Playlist on Flashdrive Help
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 08:22:13 PM »

The playlists I have on my iPhone 6 show up on my infotainment system and work, they also display album art.  I use the usb and it also keeps phone charged while riding.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 01:44:15 PM »

Yes, I do get full functionality when plugged into iphone or ipod.

Was trying to get by with a flash drive for music.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 11:36:51 PM »

Yes, I do get full functionality when plugged into iphone or ipod.

Was trying to get by with a flash drive for music.

Hey, CatEye...
Check out my post here:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=102775.0
I was having the same types of problems so many out there are having trying to use an SD card with a USB adapter.  This may head you down the right path?!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 05:13:23 PM by RGlideKid »
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

dooinit2u

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2015 SESG UltraViolet Blue / Hot Lava ***SOLD***
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 07:08:50 AM »

My music is saved in files by artist name on computer when I downloaded music from CD's or Amazon... Not sure about apple products, but thats how I did mine and the Infotainment system recognizes this and can either look up under album, artist or song...

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 03:09:59 PM »

Mine is the same as post immediately above, Works very nice. I am anti-apple to the core so no help there. Good luck.

Mandrew13

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 10:17:22 PM »

I finally figured out how to make a playlist that infotainment recognizes, without downloading extra programs using "playlist maker" from the App Store.

Here is what you do:
In itunes, select the playlist you want to add.
Go to the top menu, under file, highlight library, and then highlight "export playlist."
Change the file type (file extension) to .m3u
Copy that file - harley_playlist.m3u to your usb stick
Then, go back to the playlist, highlight all the songs in the playlist, and copy/paste those to the USB stick.
Do it again for other playlists.

On your Harley, once you open the USB media option, select "find" in the top right corner, and then scroll down to select "playlist."  All of your playlists will appear.  Boom.  Dang.  I'm happy I finally figured this out.
 :drummer:

I downloaded a bunch of songs to a flash drive and am able to play them through the Infotainment System by pluging the flash drive into the usb port in the juke box.

Does anyone know of an easy way to create playlist from songs on a flash drive?

Draging playlist for Itunes  to the flashdrive does't seem to work.

I do get playlists when using iphone or Ipad.

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 09:43:52 PM by Mandrew13 »

lrubio

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal / Phantom Flames
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 10:15:01 PM »

I finally figured out how to make a playlist that infotainment recognizes, without downloading extra programs.

Here is what you do:
In itunes, select the playlist you want to add.
Go to the top menu, under file, highlight library, and then highlight "export playlist."
Copy that file - harley_playlist.m3u to your usb stick
Then, go back to the playlist, highlight all the songs in the playlist, and copy/paste those to the USB stick.
Do it again for other playlists.

On your Harley, once you open the USB media option, select "find" in the top right corner, and then scroll down to select "playlist."  All of your playlists will appear.  Boom.  Dang.  I'm happy I finally figured this out.
 :drummer:
I followed your directions and all the songs appear and plays from the main menu. The Playlists appear but there is an exclamation mark beside each Playlist. When I select the Playlist no song titles appear and songs do not play. I am guessing your dropping all these files in the root directory of the USB stick?

lrubio

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 12:26:52 AM »

I was able to get multiple playlists to work on a USB stick by following the directions in this Apple Support Communities website: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6430103?start=0&tstart=0  Here is a quote from this Apple Support site: "...You can also export the .m3u file that represents the play order and save that to the USB drive however the exported .m3u file will contain absolute files paths pointing to the original locations of the files in your media folder. A while back I wrote a script called LocaliseM3U which can be used to remove the full file paths from the .m3u file so that it refers to the filename in the same folder as the .m3u. This playlist should play in your car as long as you've also copied in all of the songs."

I followed Mandrew13's directions but my music didn't play. So, in addition to his instructions, I copied the "LocaliseM3U" (mentioned above) script to my USB stick then dropped each Playlist file directly onto the script file. The Infotainment system recognized each Playlist flawlessly. 

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 11:09:55 AM »

Following this thread, I need to take some time to figure this all out.
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

Mandrew13

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 04:45:56 PM »

Yes, my technique worked on one usb, but when I copied it to another usb, I ended up with the same issue (list title shows, but no songs under it). Have no idea why it worked the first time because as lrubio mentioned, my technique copies the original file path.
Alas, I ended up getting an app similar to localisem3u to make my playlists. Now, I have about 8gb of music and 5-6 playlists accessible on the usb. FYI, I used "playlist maker" from the App Store.
So, there is a solution, but my original post isn't accurate. You'll need to inject some method (localisem3u , manual file path entry, or other app) to get the playlist file on your usb to point to the right music files.

Yes, keep everything in the root file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 09:40:48 PM by Mandrew13 »

lrubio

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 06:08:24 PM »

I added to Mandrew13’s directions below. Between the two of us I believe we have the USB Playlist solution (well it worked for me). Below, there is a link to a needed file that converts the Playlist. I apologize in advance if this website does not allow for these type links, so it may get deleted.

Here is what you do:

In iTunes, select the playlist you want to add.

Copy that file “Any_Playlist_Name.m3u” to your USB stick

Copy the file “LocalizeM3U” file to your USB stick. Here is the link to the file: http://samsoft.org.uk/itunes/LocalizeM3U.vbs .  You will be prompted to open or save the file. At this point save the file to your USB stick.

The file you just saved to your USB stick is named “LocalizeM3U.” Drag and drop each Playlist file you created directly onto the LocalizeM3U file. (This seems odd but when you drop your Playlist file on the LocalizeM3U file it will run a script that removes the file path contained within the Playlist.) You will then be prompted to allow for the file conversion, so allow it.  Do this for each Playlist you created and copied to your USB stick before adding the songs.

All the Playlists and songs should be copied directly into the root of the USB stick, not in folders.

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.