Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HID install on a 2012 SESG with the factory dual bulb headlight  (Read 2543 times)

ultrarider123

Thought I'd begin the thread a day early to "get it on the books" as it were.  When I get this completed, I'll post the pics and dialog so that maybe it can help/assist others that have contemplated this but have yet to do it (like I did for 2 years).

I do have a before picture with the phase 7 headlight on low.  I would post pics of the dual bulb with my PIAA bulbs just to show the difference from that to the phase 7 but I believe there is enough info/pics on other threads/youtube videos that show the difference between halogen and LED.  Plus, I'm just too lazy to install the dual bulb headlight twice.... ::)

Here's the phase 7

ultrarider123

Re: HID install on a 2012 SESG with the factory dual bulb headlight
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 08:44:04 AM »

And the kit that's going into her.  Just hit the 30K mark last night heading to quartet practice so guess I might as well get that done while I'm'a workin on her.  No, not posting pics of the service part..... ;D

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 10:35:10 AM »

Thought I'd begin the thread a day early to "get it on the books" as it were.  When I get this completed, I'll post the pics and dialog so that maybe it can help/assist others that have contemplated this but have yet to do it (like I did for 2 years).

I do have a before picture with the phase 7 headlight on low.  I would post pics of the dual bulb with my PIAA bulbs just to show the difference from that to the phase 7 but I believe there is enough info/pics on other threads/youtube videos that show the difference between halogen and LED.  Plus, I'm just too lazy to install the dual bulb headlight twice.... ::)

Here's the phase 7

Hey that looks eerily familiar!  :P

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

ultrarider123

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 10:38:37 AM »

Hey that looks eerily familiar!  :P

How'd you get my bike in your garage, Jesse..... :huepfenlol2: :2vrolijk_21:

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 05:55:08 PM »

Love my truklite
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 06:09:49 PM »

I really like mine too but interested to see how Howards looks and functions

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 10:41:50 PM »

Let me first state an apology ahead of time.  I got started this evening with the oil/primary...well tried the primary.../and transmission fluids.  The last folks that worked on the bike before me (local dealer) did the 20K service for me at a good price.  Should'a done it myself.  I had the primary drained when I noticed the torx bolts looked funny.  I didn't change it on the 25K service (not required) and had not noticed the studs cleaning but I did tonight.  ALL 5 WERE STRIPPED in the head so I couldn't remove them.  I was more than angry and had to apologize to the Lord a few times....
Anyway, that got me riled to the point I decided to let service go and cool down a bit.  When I started back, I went to the faring and installed the HID before I even thought about pictures....oops.
Therefore, I will describe some of the things I ran into.
I won't go into how to remove/install the bat wing faring....it's simple and there are plenty of posts and you tubes to help with that.  I will say take the opportunity to make sure all your weather striping is in the proper location before you re-install the faring (especially the bottom rubber deal...)
The ballasts were the hardest part to decide where to mount.  I didn't want them right on top of the radio on the inside of the outer faring and there weren't many small, flat places to put them on the inner part of the outer faring other than right in front of the radio.  After looking a bit, I lucked out and cleaned off a spot on the inner faring just below the each speaker on either side of the inner faring.  Flat, good location and the standard wire makes mounting it there a no-brainer with no reach issues.  DO NOT utilize the double sided tape until you are absolutely certain that's where you want it....that stuff is like cement.
The second "oops" came when I had everything buttoned up and the light resting on the front fender (yes, with a blanket to protect the paint).  The low beam came on great (and bright).  I hit the high and.....nothing.  I almost had another apology session with the good Lord but decided to check the connections one more time.  I had the feed to the transformer reversed.  Fixed that and everything works and looks great.
I did remember to take some pics after I had everything completed (about time, huh) so here's the low beam HID.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:46:45 PM by Haird »

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 10:51:28 PM »

And here is the low and high beam HID.  Doesn't look much different by the camera on the phone but believe me, it's bright.  I got everything aimed and I'm done.  All in all it took me about 1.5 hours and without the looking around for a mounting spot for the ballasts, it would have cut a bit of that out.  I'm tickled with the results and can't wait to try them out Monday heading into work.  That is when I get the striped bolts out of the primary cover so I can put in some clean fluid...then shove them down some mechanics....OK, no I won't....but sure would like to.

Now, anybody want my old phase 7 LED?   ;D

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 10:58:26 PM »

Certainly stands out to oncoming traffic.  Looks good. I personally like my phase 7 and the light it gives but I avoid night riding like the plague. We try to be in by dusk every night (did that all week at Sturgis and in the Carolinas).

Let us know how you like the light riding at night.

Also, when I had a HID on my last bike it cut off about 50% of the time when starting the bike. Did they fix that problem or did you have to wire the light to the accessory switch?

Gnarl78

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 10:08:47 AM »

Haird, thanks for posting the details of your install. I have the same setup and love it having gone from the Phase 7 LEDs. I haven't had any instances of the light cutting off on engine startup so far.

JSwerve, I think the night time performance is pretty comparable between the dual bulb HIDs and the Phase 7's although in low beam there is a little less noticeable tilt of the light pattern in turns. As I recall the forward illumination is about the same. The biggest selling point of the HIDs for me was the day time brightness and greater off-axis visibility.
'08 FLHTCUSE3
'05 VRSCSE
'03 FXDL
IBA#58965

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 24 queries.