Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Gear Indicator  (Read 4212 times)

Snakepit

• Junior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
Gear Indicator
« on: May 06, 2015, 02:38:29 PM »

How does this work on my 2015 cvo limited?
Is it rpm vs speed? I noticed gear indication doesn't display when stopped.
1973 Norton Commando
2015 CVO Limited

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: Gear Indicator
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 02:57:23 PM »

It doesn't display when the clutch lever is pulled in.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 03:54:35 PM »

Could use one on my 09. Being used to a 5 speed I find myself in 5th a lot of the time rolling down the highway.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 04:16:46 PM »

I am pretty sure on my 2014 the gear indicator is selected by the gear you are in (it doesn't change by RPM or speed).  If the clutch is pulled in there is no gear indication (which I wish they would change). 

ONE2BAJA

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2023 CVO Road Glide FLTRXSE Dark Platium 121vvt
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 04:47:32 PM »

LOL!  And I just thought it was me that can't count to 6!
"The difference between success and failure is the ability to work with a hangover"

Snakepit

• Junior CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 05:58:05 PM »

I am pretty sure on my 2014 the gear indicator is selected by the gear you are in (it doesn't change by RPM or speed).  If the clutch is pulled in there is no gear indication (which I wish they would change).
True. Sitting at light won't tell you if your in 1st or 2nd.
1973 Norton Commando
2015 CVO Limited

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 08:35:31 PM »

I don't see a new sensor anywhere in the trans or shift mechanism that would tell you what gear you are in, so I'm quite sure the gear indicator uses engine rpm and trans speed information to calculate the gear position, just like the previous models that only had a 6th gear light.  This method is much cheaper, since it only requires info the ECM already receives anyway.  It only becomes a problem if you modify the gearing, either primary, trans, or final drive.  Just like earlier models, doing that will affect the gear indicator and cruise control as well as the speedometer.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Snakepit

• Junior CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 08:41:16 PM »

I think so as well. When you pull away, the 1st gear indication does not come on till about 10 mph+.
1973 Norton Commando
2015 CVO Limited

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 10:04:44 PM »

Good thinking Jerry. Maybe tomorrow I'll turn the bike on (not running) and put it in a gear to see if anything shows up.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 10:27:00 PM »

I actually owned a bike way back in 1982 that had a real digital gear indicator (Honda V-45 Sabre), and that one had a real switch on the end of the shift drum.  It would indicate whichever gear you were in regardless of engine running or not, or bike moving or not.  Like I said, that's the expensive way, and Harley has chosen the cheap way.  The expensive way is better, but it's hard to justify the extra expense.  And the cheap way seems to satisfy most folks, which is all that's really important.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 01:48:35 PM »

Interesting. I will play with this a little on the way home today. I have started out in 2nd gear and it still reflects 1st. Also if I am going quickly and drop a gear the gear indicator changes.  Maybe there is some relationship between RPM and MPH it determines the gear.  I can see where the computer could do this. Does that mean when you hit 0 MPH that is what turns the indicator off.  I will see what happens when I pull the clutch in doing 60.  Always good to learn! 

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 06:51:11 PM »

As usual you nailed it Jerry. I had the bike in the drive turned on but not running. Sitting in 3rd gear and nothing showed up on the gear indicator.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 09:23:27 PM »

I tried a couple of tests going home. Out of the parking deck going less than 10 MPH in first I quickly shifted to third. Bike bucked and carried on but the gear shifter still said third even thought MPH and RPM were about the same.  Going home at 60 MPHI dropped gears and  keep the speed about the same and still the gear indicator was always where it should be.  There must be something else helping to determine the gear. Yes if the clutch is in the gear selector goes off even at speed and I did see that nothing registered until about 10 MPH.   I agree the computer can do most of this but not the slow speed test. Confused now!  :(

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 10:21:31 AM »

The '08 SERK Annie I bought new had a 6th gear indicator light and it was bright enough to be seen easily in the day time.  Oddly enough, it was not overpowering at night.

My '09 SERG also has the green 6th gear light, but in the daylight you have shade the light with your hand to see if it's on.  So on my SERG, the 6th gear light is useless.

But to be honest, I never wonder what gear I'm in as I ride base on engine sound (feel) and throttle response at the time.  If I'm slowly rounding a corner and I feel the rev's dropping, I downshift one gear; I don't need to know I was in 6th or 3rd to know I need to drop a gear to keep the power band up a bit.

I'm sure most of the seasoned riders do the same.  So a gear position indicator is not a top priority for my bike.  Of course a neutral light is mandatory for peace of mind for starting and stopping etc.

I will say though that when I do my 30 tooth Andrews front sprocket, I will have to adjust the TTS to get the cruise and 6th gear light back to functioning.  I hear some guys do not need to do this, but others do.  Not sure why some bikes the 6th gear light and cruise would work and on others with the 30 tooth change they don't.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 02:13:20 PM »

I agree that you shift and ride by the why the bike sounds and feels.  That may because I am old enough to remember those days when you didn't have many indicators. I think I always had a neutral light but I may be wrong.  I know my 1980 (Ok don't kick me off CB 750K) has the neutral light and a high beam indicator.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.