Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aiming Daymaker Headlights  (Read 9920 times)

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
Aiming Daymaker Headlights
« on: May 16, 2015, 09:42:12 PM »

I installed my new Daymaker headlights. I am in the process of aiming them. There is a black spot(no light) til 10 ft in front of the front fender.  It also lights up the signs on the side of the road real well, even in the daytime I can see an enhanced brightness on the signs.  At 5 am this morning on a four lane road the pickup in front of me moved over to the left lane to drive when there was no traffic, I assume because they were shining in his mirrors.  Do I need to lower them more?  What has been your experience?  The amount of light they throw out is fantastic. Thanks
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Aiming Daymaker Headlights
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 11:53:10 PM »

If they are that far off, there may be an installation problem.  Otherwise, they are adjusted the same way as your stock lights were.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 11:01:38 AM »

I installed my new Daymaker headlights. I am in the process of aiming them. There is a black spot(no light) til 10 ft in front of the front fender.  It also lights up the signs on the side of the road real well, even in the daytime I can see an enhanced brightness on the signs.  At 5 am this morning on a four lane road the pickup in front of me moved over to the left lane to drive when there was no traffic, I assume because they were shining in his mirrors.  Do I need to lower them more?  What has been your experience?  The amount of light they throw out is fantastic. Thanks

You need to adjust them just like any other headlight, and not just "wing it" like way too many people do.  It's not just about what you like, but it's also about not being a hazard to those around you.  And don't forget, when you blind that guy coming at you on that two lane road, he is just as likely to veer into your lane as he is the ditch.

Find the instructions on headlight aim in the manual and follow them.  My rough translation: Find a level surface with a wall or garage door at one end and room to park the bike with the headlight 25 feet from that wall.  Measure the height of the centerline of the headlight from the ground with the bike loaded as it will normally be ridden (you'll need an assistant obviously).  Transfer that measurement to the wall and mark a level line with tape at that height about eight feet wide.  Operate the low beams and look for the top edge of the beam to be no higher than the horizontal line marked on the wall and the hot spot to be slightly right of straight ahead.  Switch to high beams and the hot spot of the beam should be centered on the horizontal line and straight ahead of the bike.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 11:06:59 AM »

You need to adjust them just like any other headlight, and not just "wing it" like way too many people do.  It's not just about what you like, but it's also about not being a hazard to those around you.  And don't forget, when you blind that guy coming at you on that two lane road, he is just as likely to veer into your lane as he is the ditch.

Find the instructions on headlight aim in the manual and follow them.  My rough translation: Find a level surface with a wall or garage door at one end and room to park the bike with the headlight 25 feet from that wall.  Measure the height of the centerline of the headlight from the ground with the bike loaded as it will normally be ridden (you'll need an assistant obviously).  Transfer that measurement to the wall and mark a level line with tape at that height about eight feet wide.  Operate the low beams and look for the top edge of the beam to be no higher than the horizontal line marked on the wall and the hot spot to be slightly right of straight ahead.  Switch to high beams and the hot spot of the beam should be centered on the horizontal line and straight ahead of the bike.

Jerry

Hey Jerry I would not call that a rough translation. I would say that is a GREAT WAAAAAY MORE EASIER TO UNDERSTAND explanation that what is in the book!! LOL

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 12:28:40 PM »

Jerry, I can do that. Thanks for the time.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 08:36:37 PM »

Jerry, your method worked great.  I backed up 25 ft from my Cave garage door and shut the blinds, turned out the lights and I was about 12" above the line.  I dropped the light line down to level, with the brightness to the right.  The high beam hot spot was at about 2:00 and above the line.  Should be about right.  Thanks

1atom12

• GA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 03:08:44 PM »

Sorry to pile on with a stupid question, but how do you physically move the low beam or high beam up or down on the Daymaker itself?  I just got my CVO Street Glide and the low beam is basically pointing at the ground.  Thanks!

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 03:23:11 PM »

There are three adjustment screws for the headlights. One, top. Two bottom. The top one can only be accessed by taking the fairing off. The two bottom ones are "poking through" the fairing on the inside. They are 3/16" heads on round threaded rods protruding out two holes near the bottom of the fairing.  By twisting them clockwise (tightening them) it will draw the light down. By twisting them counterclockwise (loosening them) it will push the beam up.  By twisting the right one only, it will move the beam to the right and maybe down if turned too far.  Hope this helps.

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 20 queries.