Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: which oil to use  (Read 5658 times)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
Re: which oil to use
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 10:14:49 PM »

Rainey,
Well...this came from my dealer...so...
I believe his explanation was that with the thicker viscosities, the short trips all the time don't give the oil time to heat the way it should and it could become "sludgy" or something like that.
I've been using the 75-90 weight in my Harley trannies since 2007 or 2008 and have had NO issues whatsoever.  Just the opposite in fact.  My trannies have been quieter and smoother since switching to it.  Short trips or not!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 05:14:28 PM by RGlideKid »
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 06:20:12 AM »

Synthetic, man. It stays a little cooler and should make it to your next change in much better shape than natural oil would. I finally found an independent guy nearby and he used Spectro. I never had a problem with my old bike using SYN 3 in all three places, but I did think it was weird. This guy put different stuff everywhere. 20w 50 Heavy Duty Platinum synthetic in the motor, Heavy Duty Plat. six speed 75w 140 in the trans, and Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase in the primary. I've only put about 9 miles on it since the service, so I cant say I noticed any diff, but I do like that there is something heavier in the tranny especially. Looking at the bill, the Spectro synthetic is $$$$$.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 06:30:28 AM by Puma »
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

RAINEY

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• Apex Oil lab
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 08:02:08 AM »

Rainey,
Well...this came from my dealer...so...
I believe his explanation was that with the thicker viscosities, the short trips all the time don't give the oil time to heat the way it should and it could become "sludgy" or something like that.
I've been using the 75-90 weight in my Harley trannies since 2007 or 2008 and have had NO issues whatsoever.  Just the opposite in fact.  My trannies have been quieter and smoother since switching to it.  Short trips or not!

Were they referring to using the 75w90 Severe Gear?  75w90 Severe Gear or any other synthetic 75w90 should perform the same regardless of the temps and short trips.  I guess at least you realize the dealers are usually the worst for recommendations and offering valid opinions and suggestions.
2015 CVO Limited

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 08:57:46 AM »

Gotta love dealership folks.  Don't know chit, but have an opinion on everything and of course state those opinions as fact.

Dig a bit and you might find that the actual viscosity of a 90 weight gear oil is in the same range as the actual viscosity of a 50 weight motor oil.  The scales are different for motor oils and gear oils.  So I really love comments about the "thicker" gear lubes.  There are plenty of differences between motor oil and gear oil, and I personally prefer to use real gear lube in a gearbox, but if it really was twice as viscous as that 50 weight motor oil I probably wouldn't use it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 20 queries.