Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10  All

Author Topic: I now see why The Motor Company is in trouble  (Read 33541 times)

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
Re: I now see why The Motor Company is in trouble
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2015, 10:20:14 AM »

You likely know about all this already JC.  If not, however, when the radio finishes crapping out (again) do two things. 

1)Make sure the risers bolts aren't hitting the radio.  This is a known issue with a factory service bulletin (that most techs likely never saw).  This minor (road banging radio killing kinetic repetitive impact) touch will cause the radio's planned obsolescence (premature damned death). 

2) Send radio to Iron Cross for repair.  The radios had other issues also, however, that are internal and terminal (they just fu*%g die).  Rather than working through the planned obsolescence steps (repeatedly paying HD until they've obsoleted your parts and you have to buy a new bike) you could just fix it (fix it) by sending it to Iron Cross (Iron Cross).

Iron Cross (Iron Cross [odd how the parenthetic notations for places with logic and common sense and without duplicity are actually just redundant to the original good ideas]) will repair it, well (well), for less than the cost that you'd get a reman'd radio from the MoCo (MoFoCo).

JC, I understand that this process, notwithstanding the practical and fiduciary personal logical, goes against the SOP for maintaining a Harley Davidson Motorcycle and the special relationship (bend over) that must be maintained with the Motor Company.  So it is with some trepidation that I make these suggestions.  If, however, you choose to be a better MoCo rider than I and follow the Company path I do have a suggestion for your radio issues there too.

Buy three radios when this one fails.  You'll then have adequate spares to cover future failures for at least four more years and you'll be investing admirably in all of our shared future mandatory commitment to the Motor Company.
Thanks Don, I did NOT know about the risers hitting the radio.  I don't think mine are though.  I moved the old blue tooth integration module from the tourpak to the fairing the day I brought it home (The dealer had installed it before I picked the bike up).  I've coiled the wires and slid them into a gap under the radio and above the other wires running down there.  I don't think they're pulled tight enough to cause an issue, but I will double check.  I know I'd have noticed if the radio wasn't clear of things because I used to do car audio installs and HATE the rattle or squeak that occurs if you don't have proper clearance and mounting.  I will double check to make sure the next time I pop the fairing.

Having realized (Thanks Iski!) now that I was sold the incorrect blinky juice (I shoulda known it required syn 18)  I've now decided to forgo HD and go with Iron Cross.  Actually, I never woulda paid for any HD radios.  The first three replacements were covered under warranty and ESP.  Of course I know I should be happy and not bitching because they keep fixing it, but I think I will go to Iron Cross anyway.  I've followed their posts and reviews and obviously this is a company that HD should hire to figure out their audio.  That's what high end companies who care about quality do.  The pay experts in electronics, or suspension or whatever and get the best to design and test systems that work.

Besides... then I can get the rear input jack hooked up without doing it myself.  ;D

When my bike gets to the point that I don't think it's reliable for long rides (It's only got 85,000 on it now) I will buy another HD.  Unless somebody else comes out with something different.  I hate their QC.  I hate their PC.  And I'm certainly not happy with design and innovation.  But I must ride.  It's in my blood and in my soul (A$$hole quoting lyrics - beware).  Of the options on the market there's nothing I like better than HD for what I want in a bike.  I just wish I could buy it and then enjoy it instead of fighting to get everything right on it.

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2015, 10:44:41 AM »

Thanks Don, I did NOT know about the risers hitting the radio. 

When the radio failed in my 07 SEUC, it was hitting the riser bolt heads.  They are cap screw fasteners.  The bottom of the radio had two round indentions from two of the four riser head mounting screws.  The MOCO sells replacement "half head" cap screws to fix this condition.  Of course, for a more reasonable price, most hardware stores also sell half head cap screws for a fraction of the MOCO price.  I sent my radio to Iron Cross for repair and replaced the screws and it's been happily ever after on the radio front.  My symptoms were different from yours.  My issue was the CD player within the radio only...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2015, 10:51:41 AM »

Iski there is your problem. On Screamin Eagle models (ALL) you MUST use Genuine HD 20/18 blinker fluid!!!!!

Towlane thank you for keeping this thread entertaining!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

;D
Thanks DAWG!  Now I have no doubt voided my warranty.  If the lifters fail, the MoCo can blame it on out of spec blinkers!

Good luck on getting yours back right!  Is frustrating dealing with issues like yours.  Once upon a time the truly great companies stepped up & did the right thing as a matter of good business practice.  That number grows smaller each year.  Also JCs radio problem is much too common, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 10:53:53 AM by iski »
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2015, 11:00:46 AM »

Silliness aside,

Silliness is all that was left.....

(there was even a penis joke)

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2015, 11:26:40 AM »

That was obvious in the first post !

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2015, 06:05:39 PM »

Silliness aside, this problem IS on a bike already covered with an ESP, right?
(In original post)
I don't have an ESP to reference...is this an issue that the ESP would even address?
 If so, then maybe that's an option.
No doubt, there's the "principle of the thing" to get over and the hurdle of the deductible to overcome.

<silliness>
Clearly I can understand why you would *NEVER BUY ANOTHER Harley!!!![/b]* after the excessive hardship and expense they've put you through here.
I'm surprised that you'd even let their dealership have your bike to work on or sell, given the devastation they have piled upon you.
You still have the option of civil litigation(!)

Or the tried-and-true glue some lemons on your clothes and picket!
<\silliness>

Us "newbies" can have opinions, too.  SOMEtimes, we can even be 'right'.
Despite taking a different position than some, I am no MOCO apologist; I'm not offended that someone has a beef with them, and I also despise the downgrading of the bearings/cranks/tolerances/compensators.
My position on your issue is my reaction to what I see as a ridiculous level of OVER-reaction on your part. Certainly, it should never have broken or broken repeatedly. Certainly it should've been fixed... and it might HAVE been if you hadn't waited so long to take it in. Your reaction, though, is seemingly WAY out of proportion to the injury. Punishment doesn't fit the crime; carpet doesn't match the drapes...
Good luck with whatever brand you buy next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually the quote was. I will never buy another NEW Harley. I have owned a Harley Davidson Motorcycle since 1975 and I will continue to ride them. I just won't give The Motor Company any of my money again.  And yes it is THE PRINCIPLE. But it's not only this bike. It's what I hear from people that work on them for a living!!!! The penny pinchers are going to run this company into the ground.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2015, 06:19:53 PM »

Yo Dawg....

Don't :wall:... I relate some of these posts to the "rookie" to the FD showing up knowing everything and can do it better then those much senior to him... our experiences and what we have learned don't mean jack... let them live/learn.... when the Kool-Aid goes sour on them... then they will know. ;)

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2015, 08:56:02 PM »

Yo Dawg....

Don't :wall:... I relate some of these posts to the "rookie" to the FD showing up knowing everything and can do it better then those much senior to him... our experiences and what we have learned don't mean jack... let them live/learn.... when the Kool-Aid goes sour on them... then they will know. ;)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

LMAO Gary!!! You know you are correct. But not being the MEAN DAWG. I will gladly pick them up brush them off and LAUGH!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2015, 09:16:41 PM »

LMAO Gary!!! You know you are correct. But not being the MEAN DAWG. I will gladly pick them up brush them off and LAUGH!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
That's what we do :2vrolijk_21:...

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2015, 10:09:01 PM »

WOW, This has been fun to follow. DC I have had issues with the MOCO also. But I still want my H.D.'s over any other. Maybe we have a sickness.  :nixweiss:

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2015, 08:25:47 AM »

WOW, This has been fun to follow. DC I have had issues with the MOCO also. But I still want my H.D.'s over any other. Maybe we have a sickness.  :nixweiss:

I have to agree. I love my Harleys. Been riding them for tooooooo long. Back in the day when I first started riding you could only get Harley Tees in black. I had a woman come up and tell me that people that WORSHIPED THE DEVIL wore black tee shirts!!!!! I kid you not. 

I have a 2014 SE Limited now and it has a ton of warranty problems including the THIRD clutch recall. The penny pinchers are going to drive this company out of business if they don't smarten up. CLUTCH RECALL?????? Are you F$%KING KIDDING ME!!!!! The hydraulic clutch assembly on out bikes has been in production since 2001 or 2002. I know GRC would know this for sure. It has been STANDARD on all Screaming Eagle Models since 2003. It has worked for 10 years with little problems. Yet to save a few dollars the Motor Company makes changes. The Motor Company rolls the dice every time they sell a SE Model with the 110 motor. Lifter failure, Crank assembly problems and the list goes on and on. Lets not forget our friends on here that bought 2007 and 2008 models. The cylinders that were manufactured in China had the liners slipping. A huge recall. Some people are still having problems. We buy THE FLAGSHIP models that Harley produces but we have the most problems.

To all of my friends on here, I have been around here for over 10 years on this site. I always try to bring some laughter into the mix of things. That is how I roll. I consider ALL of you my friend rather we have met in person or not. Yes this thread started out as a rant about a bike that I still say should have covered under the Motor Company's Warranty. It's not about the money I will have to pay to fix it. It's the principal of the whole incident. The Motor Company has been SCREWING the very people that buy their TOP OF THE LINE Motorcycles. The same top if the line Motorcycles that have more problems then their standard Motorcycles. But yet we continue to buy them. Myself included. I'm not sure what drives us to these Motorcycles knowing in the long run we have a very good chance of getting screwed by The Motor Company. Is it the paint????? Is it the chrome????? Is it all the new features????? Is it the fact that we are driving the so called best of the best????? I really wish I knew. My Friend Jerry (GRC) said about 9 years ago he would never buy another NEW Harley Davidson till the Motor Company changed their thinking and started making a better product. He has held true to his word. Maybe we all could learn a lesson from THE OLD WISE ONE!!!!!!! But I seriously doubt it!!!!

Bottom line, I WANT MY BIKE FIXED UNDER THE WARRANTY PLAN THAT WAS GIVEN TO ME AT PURCHASE!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2015, 11:29:38 AM »

I don't know if the MOCO is seriously wounded or "just a scratch" financially with it's appeared business practices of cutting corners for profit. As long as buying a bike is an emotional purchase and not a financially smart one when you think about it.
They have quite the P.R. juggernaut going on with not just advertising but HOG membership, free coffee at many dealerships and all the benefit poker runs/bike shows/t-shirts  etc.
As many have said they sell a lifestyle not just a product.......and they can promote it with such statements like "if you have to ask you wouldn't understand!" some could express that as "I don't know and can't explain it to you.." Others would say I can't rationally explain it to you and my children might say it as "cause so..."
I know for many buying a H-D brings back warm memories of our growing up riding with our fathers or uncles or a neighbor and loving the sound and feeling of freedom and power. We tell ourselves that one day I will own one and eventually we do. Others buy one for not only how it brings back memories or good feelings it is an image thing and we love how we think we look on a H-D. The reality may not match the image we think we create though.

If we took the emotion out of our purchase would we really buy a Harley? Probably not for it's power/handling/ or features especially for it's price.
So maybe the MOCO can survive if they stay with what they do best, as selling the emotional area not the rational financial side of things?

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2015, 12:04:49 PM »

I don't know if the MOCO is seriously wounded or "just a scratch" financially with it's appeared business practices of cutting corners for profit. As long as buying a bike is an emotional purchase and not a financially smart one when you think about it.
They have quite the P.R. juggernaut going on with not just advertising but HOG membership, free coffee at many dealerships and all the benefit poker runs/bike shows/t-shirts  etc.
As many have said they sell a lifestyle not just a product.......and they can promote it with such statements like "if you have to ask you wouldn't understand!" some could express that as "I don't know and can't explain it to you.." Others would say I can't rationally explain it to you and my children might say it as "cause so..."
I know for many buying a H-D brings back warm memories of our growing up riding with our fathers or uncles or a neighbor and loving the sound and feeling of freedom and power. We tell ourselves that one day I will own one and eventually we do. Others buy one for not only how it brings back memories or good feelings it is an image thing and we love how we think we look on a H-D. The reality may not match the image we think we create though.

If we took the emotion out of our purchase would we really buy a Harley? Probably not for it's power/handling/ or features especially for it's price.
So maybe the MOCO can survive if they stay with what they do best, as selling the emotional area not the rational financial side of things?

I don't really know either. It is people our age that are keeping them afloat for sure. But they need to make some changes before it is too late.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2015, 02:36:35 PM »

I have stayed out of this discussion for a reason, but now I enter it with a new observation.
I can't believe anyone really thinks the Motor Company gives a good chit about their customers.
In the years I have been on this thread I have seen complaints on just about everything CVO and Harley related problems. I have been asked by a HD factory representative what it would take for me to buy a new CVO. ( This happened in MV a few years ago. ) My main answer was when the MOCO starts to care about their customers and not just the $$$$. I still have my 1999 Road Glide and have no plans to get rid of it. NO WARRANTY and happy.
Now as far as the subject of Dawgs problem, they did not put a time limit on it and in South Carolina that means NO F**KING TIME LIMIT PERIOD. The MOCO would have to honor the extension. Then I would hit them with the LEMON law.
So my next bike is going to be an OCC Chopper, NOT!  :'(
Mike
 :drink:

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2015, 03:27:02 PM »

Hey Mike, if you ever break down down close to me here's all the road side assistance card you'll ever need  :2vrolijk_21: .
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.604 seconds with 21 queries.