Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 120ST TEST RIDE…………..  (Read 6022 times)

Cross threaded

• 2015 CVO Street Glide
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
120ST TEST RIDE…………..
« on: June 28, 2015, 11:40:52 PM »

Well, I took a 2015 Street Glide Special with a 120st for a ride today. I was less than impressed. I think my expectations was a little to high. Although it was only about a 12 mile ride, I did get in it pretty good and for the most part my 110 had a stronger fell. Now it is hard to compare the two being my 110 has been dyno tuned and the 120st is detuned from the MoCo. With a better cam and tune, I'm sure it would wake up, but right of the crate, it's nothing to call home about. If anyone would like to see/buy/ride etc. etc. etc. the bike it's at Smokin Harley Davidson in Winston Salem, NC. They pulled the 103 out of the bike and put in the 120st and at that time the bike was new. Now the bike has been sold once and has about 495 miles on it. It is on consignment from the owner and the asking price on the bike is $35,500 Other than the 120st and a 2 into 1 exhaust system the bike is pretty much stock. Vivid Black… Also, I asked about the 103, where is it? Does it come with the bike? Awnser was the owner of the bike has it. Then the salesman called the owner and asked about the extra 103 and he said he has already sold it, the 103 that is… $35K lmao
Hard Candy Mercury/Smokey Quartz Flames
Screamin' Eagle 110
Rinehart True Duals
Rinehart 4" exhaust with Black tips
Screamin' Eagle Pro Super Tuner
Yaffe Originals CVO Stealth III Plate Cover
OEM Chrome Inner Primary
OEM Chrome Starter
OEM Chrome Belt Guard
OEM Chrome Shift Linkage
OEM Chrome Motor Mount
OEM Chrome Motor Mount Linkage
OEM Chrome Fairing Vent
OEM Chrome Passanger Back Rest & CVO Pad
OEM Chrome Saddlebag Latches

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: 120ST TEST RIDE…………..
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 01:25:28 AM »

The 259s in the ST are softer on the bottom than the 255s, but come on 27-2800, and pull well to the redline...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 02:08:06 PM »

The MoCo is selling a motor to you and then telling you it could be made into something nice if you give them a bunch more money but oh wait that voids the warranty. :D :D :D.

Where else can you spend 25-40K for a new machine and have to fix it right away with another 2-5K??? I think I am starting to catch that bitching bug that's been going around on here.

Cross threaded

• 2015 CVO Street Glide
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 04:11:41 PM »

True, the 259's are softer on the bottom, but I did have the ST wound up tighter than a banjo string and still I wasn't that impressed.… I'm sure it was just the tune/cams, I guess what I'm saying is; it's vastly different from the 120R
Screamin' Eagle 110
Rinehart True Duals
OEM Chrome Inner Primary
OEM Chrome Starter
OEM Chrome Belt Guard
OEM Chrome Shift Linkage
OEM Chrome Motor Mount
OEM Chrome Fairing Vent

RGKen

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE Skunk
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 10:27:16 PM »

It is different but only because of the cams.   It is the exact same motor as the 120R in every way except for the cams.   No it's not as fast and why would it be?   MOCO just made a bigger motor meet emissions testing so they can put it in new bikes sometime in the future.  Isn't that what everyone wanted?   And how is them selling you a bike with a motor that you need to spend a bunch of money on to wake it up any different than what they've always done?   People keep wanting to compare the ST to the R and the S&S 124 and that is not what HD had in mind right out of the box.  Look at the bright side; if they do put this in the new models; just put the 266 cams, upgrade the exhaust and get a tuner and you will have a 120R in your new scooter.   

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 10:48:41 AM »

What about all the drivetrain upgrades guys have said they have to do when they go to the 120R, clutch etc?
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 03:43:50 PM »

It is different but only because of the cams.   It is the exact same motor as the 120R in every way except for the cams.   No it's not as fast and why would it be?   MOCO just made a bigger motor meet emissions testing so they can put it in new bikes sometime in the future.  Isn't that what everyone wanted?  And how is them selling you a bike with a motor that you need to spend a bunch of money on to wake it up any different than what they've always done?   People keep wanting to compare the ST to the R and the S&S 124 and that is not what HD had in mind right out of the box.  Look at the bright side; if they do put this in the new models; just put the 266 cams, upgrade the exhaust and get a tuner and you will have a 120R in your new scooter.

No different at all. I would like to buy a motor that did not need to be rebuilt and tuned to make it what moat of us want. So a warranty with the ST and not with the R?????? Only because of the 266 cam???? Is the cam that aggressive that it will surely send the motor into failure??

Horse Chit!!!!!

I wonder if the 120S motor gains one the 110 are equal to or better than the 103 to 110 comparison? Should be more with three more cu. right?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 03:48:32 PM by Dr.D »

RGKen

• Junior CVO Member

120ST TEST RIDE…………..
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 04:01:33 PM »

No different at all. I would like to buy a motor that did not need to be rebuilt and tuned to make it what moat of us want. So a warranty with the ST and not with the R?????? Only because of the 266 cam???? Is the cam that aggressive that it will surely send the motor into failure??

Horse Chit!!!!!

I forgot about the clutch and yes that will have to be done. 

I don't know if MOCO will EVER be able to put a motor in that most of us will be happy with.  We have really high standards.  I really don't disagree with what you are saying either I was just pointing out the unfair comparison and what I have found out to be their motive for a toned down 120R.   You can't argue that when they do put the ST in a new line up that it is a way better starting point than we've had.  I bet a lot more casual riders will not feel the need to beef it up than in the past.  This is all business on their part and it's not really all that bad for us. 

One more thing I want to clarify about my previous thoughts....   I am not at all saying this is the way to go if you are putting your hard earned cash towards buying some type of 120.   It does have a warranty whereas the R doesn't but the S&S has a warranty and to me would be the better buy.   The scenario is if someone had a motor go out and had an ESP that would pay for a new crate motor this would be a good option if you had to go through a dealer.  It would be covered by a lot of ESP's out there even after the 1 yr factory warranty ran out.   

Again I am not defending the ST as the better choice I just don't compare this to the R or the S&S as far as HP and TQ.   I feel this is a huge step in the right direction by HD and people should compare this to previous stock motors not the race ones.  That's all....   This thing sure as hell has to be better than the 110's
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 04:03:54 PM by RGKen »

Cross threaded

• 2015 CVO Street Glide
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 05:00:55 PM »

Wow, kind of opened up a can of worms.
As far as you saying "I was just pointing out the unfair comparison" I think I put in the OP "Now it is hard to compare the two being my 110 has been dyno tuned and the 120st is detuned from the MoCo" But you have to compare it to something or at least I do if I'm going to spend my hard earned money on one.

Having said that the 120st motor is capable of much more than the published numbers. It is a better starting point than the 96, 103 & the 110, of coure it is. Do I welcome the 120st, yes I do. I'm I going to buy one and put it in a new SG, well I wouldn't have bothered to do the test ride if I wasn't going to. But, out of the box, it is less than impressive and I guess you could say that for anything the MoCo has offered other than the R.

This world is so missed up when you can't even comment on something that you have first hand knowledge about without someone taking it the wrong way. This forum is a great sorce for friends and knowledge but it can also be really infuriating…
Have a great day.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 05:14:49 PM by Cross threaded »
Screamin' Eagle 110
Rinehart True Duals
OEM Chrome Inner Primary
OEM Chrome Starter
OEM Chrome Belt Guard
OEM Chrome Shift Linkage
OEM Chrome Motor Mount
OEM Chrome Fairing Vent

RGKen

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 05:28:48 PM »

Sorry that you took it that I was upset.  That is one of the inherent problems with social media.  When you type something the reader can take it completely different than how the writer meant it because there no no inflection.   I also don't always express myself in writing as well as I would like too.  I know I am long winded so I try and shorten things and end up leaving things out and therefore not expressing myself very well.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 12:53:35 AM »

Wow, kind of opened up a can of worms.
As far as you saying "I was just pointing out the unfair comparison" I think I put in the OP "Now it is hard to compare the two being my 110 has been dyno tuned and the 120st is detuned from the MoCo" But you have to compare it to something or at least I do if I'm going to spend my hard earned money on one.

Having said that the 120st motor is capable of much more than the published numbers. It is a better starting point than the 96, 103 & the 110, of coure it is. Do I welcome the 120st, yes I do. I'm I going to buy one and put it in a new SG, well I wouldn't have bothered to do the test ride if I wasn't going to. But, out of the box, it is less than impressive and I guess you could say that for anything the MoCo has offered other than the R.

This world is so missed up when you can't even comment on something that you have first hand knowledge about without someone taking it the wrong way. This forum is a great sorce for friends and knowledge but it can also be really infuriating…
Have a great day.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
There's more than 1 in this thread that has first hand knowledge...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 03:23:47 PM »

I apologize for any thing that may have sounded aggressive or argumentative. I agree that the internet is an easy place to be misunderstood.

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 20 queries.