Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Power Comander Vs SERT  (Read 27754 times)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Power Comander Vs SERT
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2007, 07:26:06 PM »

When I saw how the stock afr line wandered on my SERK, I wanted the best harley fuel management system made hence the sert. I have been riding for 32 years and that was one of the leanest running ecm set-ups I have seen on a fuel-injected bike. Didnt want something that piggy-backed on the factory ecm base map. Not familiar with the Thundermax. The extent of the pc3 tuning each cyclinder is that you can trim the adjustments made for both cyclinders to vary by upto 5%(somewhere around there, I'm sure someone has the exact number) to account for afr variation. :)

I'm not sure where you are getting the info but there is not a 5% limit to the individual tuning adjustments. There are complete different maps availible for each cylinder, both for fuel and timing. Take a look at the files that Chief posted of the map entry software.

The bottom line here is that the PC and the RT both perform well just in different ways. There are advantages and disadvantages to both products.

[smiley=beatdeadhorse.gif]

e4seter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2007, 07:43:48 PM »

When I saw how the stock afr line wandered on my SERK, I wanted the best harley fuel management system made hence the sert. I have been riding for 32 years and that was one of the leanest running ecm set-ups I have seen on a fuel-injected bike. Didnt want something that piggy-backed on the factory ecm base map. Not familiar with the Thundermax. The extent of the pc3 tuning each cyclinder is that you can trim the adjustments made for both cyclinders to vary by upto 5%(somewhere around there, I'm sure someone has the exact number) to account for afr variation. :)

The PCIII can add or remove both fuel and timing in 9 throtle positions and at every 250 rpm's from 0 to your rev limit. Every digit you put in a cell is 1%,  I have never seen a limit,  I E you can go over 100% more fuel in any cell,  However the only limit is the injector size and the fuel pump size.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2007, 10:45:20 PM »

Lets everyone understand one thing clearly. IF you want to perform better, you have only 2 choices for PROPER running bikes.
A.  The SERT tuned well, or the

B. Thundermax.  Add to the Thundermax Auto Tune, and you have the best system available.

oh yeah, Disclaimer:  You make any changes you should really learn about how to do it. IF you made a switch to a PC and it takes a crap, you will be running hot.  On the other hand, if the SERT does the same, you will probably be on the side of the road with a Dealer to rescue you.  If you have the SERT, and then buy a Tmax, and the Thundermax loses it, just hook the SERT back up and go.  

The difference is that the PC and others like it, is that they are fooling the ecm.  [highlight]The SERT IS the ECM[/highlight], and so is the Tmax. Chances of a total failure with these are unlikely just becasue I said so.

Rhino

dun

Rhino,
Technically, the SERT is not the ECM.  The factory ECM is never replaced by the SERT.  The SERT is actually an interface that is connected between the factory ECM and the computer that allows you to remap/reflash the memory in the ECM to whatever you want to remap it to on a dyno or by computer (if you're knowledgeable or brave enough to do), or you can load a factory map off of the CD, such as the commonly used "84" map if you change out the mufflers, pipes, and AC like I did before I even drove it away from the dealership the first time.  If you have the Thundermaxx in, that is a replacement ECM, and replacing it with the SERT will do nothing, you would have to carry the old SERT remapped factory ECM with you to replace the Thundermaxx with.  
Cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2007, 03:59:41 AM »

Thanks Red,

It's necessary to use the right word for the right thing.
Effectively, the SERT will not replace the ECM, it's only an interface.
You have the right explanation.

Regards
Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2007, 07:52:38 AM »

When I saw how the stock afr line wandered on my SERK, I wanted the best harley fuel management system made hence the sert. I have been riding for 32 years and that was one of the leanest running ecm set-ups I have seen on a fuel-injected bike. Didnt want something that piggy-backed on the factory ecm base map. Not familiar with the Thundermax. [highlight]The extent of the pc3 tuning each cyclinder is that you can trim the adjustments made for both cyclinders to vary by upto 5%[/highlight](somewhere around there, I'm sure someone has the exact number) to account for afr variation. :)

Kojak,

The information you have on the PC is outdated. While the cylinder trim capability is still there, you can convert any "Basic" map, meaning 1 fuel and timing table, to an "Advanced Map", with 2 fuel tables and 2 ignition tables. This capability is found under the "Tools" menu at the top of the screen.

Using an "Advanced Map" gives the tuner independent control for tuning both cylinders independently.

FYI, Fuel Table 1 is Rear, and Fuel Table 2 is Front. It would be nice if they told you that upfront.

I have never seen a limit,  I E you can go over 100% more fuel in any cell,  However the only limit is the injector size and the fuel pump size.

I did find out that if you go past 100%, the PC software gives you a "WARNING: Some table values are out of range." error.

Chief
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 08:01:08 AM by HarleyDudeAtl »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2007, 12:34:13 PM »

Technically, the SERT is not the ECM.  The factory ECM is never replaced by the SERT.  The SERT is actually an interface that is connected between the factory ECM and the computer that allows you to remap/reflash the memory in the ECM to whatever you want to remap it to on a dyno or by computer (if you're knowledgeable or brave enough to do), or you can load a factory map off of the CD, such as the commonly used "84" map if you change out the mufflers, pipes, and AC like I did before I even drove it away from the dealership the first time.  If you have the Thundermaxx in, that is a replacement ECM, and replacing it with the SERT will do nothing, you would have to carry the old SERT remapped factory ECM with you to replace the Thundermaxx with.  
Cheers ,
Red

Red,

In actuality you would have to carry the Stock HD ECM and the stock o2 sensors unless you have plugs or eliminators for them.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

e4seter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2007, 12:47:35 PM »

the commonly used SERT "84" map .

Just a FYI for you SERT guys with a 110 .  There is a service bulletin TT284 dated 1/17/07 that says the current SERT maps do not support the auto compression releases.  A calibration will not be available until the next CD release, tenatively scheduled for Feb.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2007, 06:54:43 PM »

Any chance you can post the map?  Thanks,

Map is here:
http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1169769177/0

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2007, 07:24:29 PM »

Just a FYI for you SERT guys with a 110 .  There is a service bulletin TT284 dated 1/17/07 that says the current SERT maps do not support the auto compression releases.  A calibration will not be available until the next CD release, tenatively scheduled for Feb.
Interesting...I didn't have any problems with the bike starting with the 84 map, and it starts up fine since the dyno.  Not really sure what that means to those of us that have already made the mods then.  My bike appears to be working fine without that new map.  Anybody else having startup problems since they changed out and remapped?
Red
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 07:27:54 PM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2007, 07:26:20 PM »

Red,

In actuality you would have to carry the Stock HD ECM and the stock o2 sensors unless you have plugs or eliminators for them.
Unbalanced,
You're absolutely right.  I forgot about the fact that the Thundermaxx uses the wideband sensors and the stock ECM uses the narrowband ones.  Thanks for the catch on that one.  It's not just a simple swap out, that's for sure.
Cheer [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2007, 08:08:09 PM »

Now let me get this straight. The ECM craps out you're out of business. This is true for SERT or PC mods? The TMax craps out, you put back the HD ECM with the SERT remapping and the NB O2 sensors. Some have said that the PC might crap out. It sounds like if you're planning a doomsday scenario, then why not just put a preprogrammed spare PC in your bag with the same map you've Dyno'd to. Sounds like that's the only back-up plan that will have your bike run exactly as before it failed. Not too expensive of an insurance policy. This certainly seems like the best way to deal with the issue while you're trying to maintain your 2 Year Warranty! After that, anything goes, it's just like it's always been on the road. You deal with it! ;) Hoist! 8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2007, 08:55:05 PM »

Now let me get this straight. The ECM craps out you're out of business. This is true for SERT or PC mods? The TMax craps out, you put back the HD ECM with the SERT remapping and the NB O2 sensors. Some have said that the PC might crap out. It sounds like if you're planning a doomsday scenario, then why not just put a preprogrammed spare PC in your bag with the same map you've Dyno'd to. Sounds like that's the only back-up plan that will have your bike run exactly as before it failed. Not too expensive of an insurance policy. This certainly seems like the best way to deal with the issue while you're trying to maintain your 2 Year Warranty! After that, anything goes, it's just like it's always been on the road. You deal with it! ;) Hoist! 8-)
Hoist,
If your ECM craps out, regardless of whether it's a factory ECM,Thundermaxx, or a PCIII piggy-backing on the factory ECM you're SOL until you get it fixed/replaced.  The advantage of the PCIII and the V&H Fuel Pak, is that they are used in conjunction with the factory ECM, so if the PC or the Fuel Pak craps out, you take them off and you still have the factory ECM there (providing it didn't crap out to) to get you to a dealer.  
Red
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 08:55:32 PM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2007, 09:05:36 PM »

Hoist,
If your ECM craps out, regardless of whether it's a factory ECM,Thundermaxx, or a PCIII piggy-backing on the factory ECM you're SOL until you get it fixed/replaced.  The advantage of the PCIII and the V&H Fuel Pak, is that they are used in conjunction with the factory ECM, so if the PC or the Fuel Pak craps out, you take them off and you still have the factory ECM there (providing it didn't crap out to) to get you to a dealer.  
Red

Exactly Red, if the HD ECM craps out under Warranty, it's HD's problem. But you can't run on only a stock ECM. So you do SERT, PC or TMax. With SERT you might/might not have a warranty problem, depending where you bring it when it breaks. And if the ECM craps out with a SERT in it, I doubt anyone but your dealer will be able to help you. If it craps out with the PC, I take off the PC and call HOG for pick-up. If the PC craps out, a spare, pre-programmed PC would leave you exactly as before failure. The TMax would be a major headache on the road! However, after warranty, the TMax AutoTune seems like the way to go. You know me Red, I'm trying to cover all the bases! BTW, I also carry a spare crank position sensor with me as well. ;) Hoist! 8-)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

e4seter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2007, 09:10:02 PM »

As a 45 year enthusiast, 10 with FI, and experience with a blown engine under warranty which cost me over 4k to fix on a FI bike with just SERT, Air cleaner and slip-ons,  leave your ECM stock if you are under warranty.  Use any piggy back device to correct the AFR, and if the motor starts to crap out, sounds different, leaks, runs hotter than normal, pay to have the bike towed home. Put everything back to stock (SERT will not allow this),  call any dealer and have them pick it up and fix it.  There will be no questions asked.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2007, 09:21:38 PM »

As a 45 year enthusiast, 10 with FI, and experience with a blown engine under warranty which cost me over 4k to fix on a FI bike with just SERT, Air cleaner and slip-ons,  leave your ECM stock if you are under warranty.  Use any piggy back device to correct the AFR, and if the motor starts to crap out, sounds different, leaks, runs hotter than normal, pay to have the bike towed home. Put everything back to stock (SERT will not allow this),  call any dealer and have them pick it up and fix it.  There will be no questions asked.

Thank you very much. That's been my conclusion and was looking for a little reassurance, I guess. Is the PC reliable these days? Is investing in a spare PC a wise move or waste of money?

BTW e4, did you see the post on the Doherty A/C. They will make it for the '07 with an S&S teardrop backplate instead of center hole. I won't have to do what you went thru for your S&S Cover. Thanks man! ;) Hoist! 8-)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 20 queries.