Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2015 wet head excessive heat from rear cylinder  (Read 5462 times)

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
2015 wet head excessive heat from rear cylinder
« on: July 28, 2015, 11:23:41 AM »

This weekend was the first time I have ridden the bike in hot weather. I have noticed this bike has always seemed to put out what I would consider excessive heat from the rear cylinder, right on the right calf when feet on floorboard. It seems to be highly concentrated where the head meets the cylinder, so I suspect head gasket. This weekend when riding in 90+ temps it was unbearable. So....... off to the dealer this morning. I will update this thread with the findings when I hear from dealer.
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
Re: 2015 wet head excessive heat from rear cylinder
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 01:48:26 PM »

Let me be the first to say................. what they will say.............. "they all do that" :drummer:
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 02:09:39 PM »

I think the first question would be, what is your coolant level?    :nixweiss:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 02:21:39 PM »

This weekend was the first time I have ridden the bike in hot weather. I have noticed this bike has always seemed to put out what I would consider excessive heat from the rear cylinder, right on the right calf when feet on floorboard. It seems to be highly concentrated where the head meets the cylinder, so I suspect head gasket. This weekend when riding in 90+ temps it was unbearable. So....... off to the dealer this morning. I will update this thread with the findings when I hear from dealer.

At least it's moved from the left leg inner thigh area!

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 01:12:18 PM »

Dealer says they can find no issue, it runs great! I am getting way more heat from this thing than my 2012 air cooled. I've got more heat on my calf than I've had from any Harley I've ever had! Can some folks running Fullsac head pipe, 1.75" cores, and the Fullsac provided TTS map chime in here?

I really think it's a head gasket. Is there a way to test that myself?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 01:51:06 PM »

Dealer says they can find no issue, it runs great! I am getting way more heat from this thing than my 2012 air cooled. I've got more heat on my calf than I've had from any Harley I've ever had! Can some folks running Fullsac head pipe, 1.75" cores, and the Fullsac provided TTS map chime in here?

I really think it's a head gasket. Is there a way to test that myself?

Why do you think it's a head gasket, and what kind of head gasket issue do you think would cause this?  If there was a leak severe enough to shoot hot combustion gasses out at your leg, it would be very obvious.  The bike would run like crap, you would be able to hear the sound of the high pressure gasses escaping, and there would be fuel residue all over the head, barrel, and your leg.  A more likely issue, if indeed the head is running hotter than it should, might be a blocked coolant line.

The only way I know to verify your rear head is running hotter than normal is to check the actual temperature of yours and compare to some other similar bikes.  These days you can buy non-contact electronic thermometers that would allow such a test without specialized equipment.  Perhaps you need to think about suggesting that to the dealership, or just doing it yourself.  You aren't going to get a dealership or H-D to agree you have a problem just because you tell them your right calf gets hotter than it did with an earlier bike.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 04:00:08 PM »

Why do you think it is a head gasket? If you had a head gasket leaking bad enough to make your leg hot... you would hear it as well as the bike would be down on power. I find it odd you feel this is the reason, but stranger things have happened.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 08:51:23 PM »

I have a water head. I rode it today in high humidity and low 90's. It was much warmer on me then it had been in the past. I had heat coming form under the seat but nothing more then any of my other bikes in the past. It seems to me the water heads run cooler on your body in the cooler temps. But that is JMO. Today with a new tune, pipes and air cleaner it really didn't run any cooler then any of my other bikes in the past.

Jerry called the shot. If it was a head gasket you would hear it. It would be loud almost like an exhaust leak. You need someone with a thermo gun to shot both cylinders and see if in fact there is any difference. And if there is a big difference what is the cause. But no matter what, the dealer will say THEY ALL DO THAT!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Streetglide1

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

• CVO1: 2012 Streetglide
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 10:25:07 PM »

No head gasket from what I have heard. do you have the heat deflectors mounted on this bike? if not that's probably it, also that silly Cat will heat your leg up also.

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 09:29:29 AM »

The cat is out, and I do have the deflectors. Maybe the deflectors are moving the heat down. This is the first bike I have had with deflectors and fairing lowers. The dealer did mist the area and saw no leaks. I talked to the tech and he seemed competent. There's no signs of oil on the cylinders.

I suppose I had higher expectations with the wet head. The saving grace is Jason at C&S did an absolutely fantastic job with my 2012, so I will have him give this engine the same treatment sooner than later.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 10:31:25 AM »

That is puzzling.
We got back from Little Rock after 170 miles in temps that were well over 100 with the heat index, and I remember thinking several times that my crotch and thighs no longer felt like they were on fire with the new bike (as compared to previous Harleys), but then we were on a highway with few stops along the way as we headed north into the Ozarks.  I hope the heat situation doesn't change for me.  I think you should keep investigating it, as mine has definitely run cooler from a front seat perspective than my '11 RGU.  Sorry I'm not more help.

Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe it was the new underwear I just bought?  I do like 'em more than my UA's!   :o
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

windjammer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 sold
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 11:10:28 AM »

2015 CVO Limited with fullsac dx pipe, baffles and TTS tuner I have experienced no heat issues at all since installation. Runs fantastic with Steve's tune. Install was simple about 2 hours, took longer to load the disc onto my laptop absolutely the best tuner I have ever had!

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 03:06:52 PM »

Riding in heat (100 degrees) and traffic will heat you up fast and hard. My right leg will feel like it will blister. While moving I don't really feel the heat. My 2010 was about the same but the 2006 and 2007 ran much cooler.  I plan to go the Fulsac and TTS tuner route as well to try to get the temps down. I figure it will always be hot but I would like to get a little cooler. My wife feels this heat on the back as well. 

Beak Boater

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC Progressive Mono Tubes, Klockwerks 8.5; Heads By TMan, Rinehart True duals, TTS Mastertune By Doc's
    • CVO2: 2015 SESG Hard Candy, Crusher Tridents, Fulsac X, TTS Mastertune by Docs Performance
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 08:50:30 PM »

I have posted on a couple of these threads. I have a 2015 CVO Street Glide stock ventilator, Fulsac DX, Crusher slipons, Doc's Performance TTS tune. I also have a 2010 CVO Ultra (wife loves it) Stage 1 A/c Rinehart true duals, TMan Head work, TTS Tune by Doc also. Ride in SW Fl, when the temps are over 85 and the humidity is up, the Wet Head is a warmer ride.  Seems when the air temps are cooler than 85, like early in the morning we have done a couple of rides with the SG you don't notice it, but once the air temps are up, or maybe its the humidity, don't know but its warmer, the air from the radiators, and the rear exhaust.
Yesterday's History, Tomorrow's a Mystery, Live for Today.

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 09:04:25 AM »

I have posted on a couple of these threads. I have a 2015 CVO Street Glide stock ventilator, Fulsac DX, Crusher slipons, Doc's Performance TTS tune. I also have a 2010 CVO Ultra (wife loves it) Stage 1 A/c Rinehart true duals, TMan Head work, TTS Tune by Doc also. Ride in SW Fl, when the temps are over 85 and the humidity is up, the Wet Head is a warmer ride.  Seems when the air temps are cooler than 85, like early in the morning we have done a couple of rides with the SG you don't notice it, but once the air temps are up, or maybe its the humidity, don't know but its warmer, the air from the radiators, and the rear exhaust.

That's exactly what the service manager said his opinion was, that when the temps are up the wet heads are actually hotter the late model air cooled only. Isn't that interesting!

I am curious what a cam change will do.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 20 queries.