Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: If you live "remote", how far is it to the nearest town or city for you?  (Read 5080 times)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography

We have a quarter of a mile of gravel driveway, then another quarter mile of gravel on a county road before we hit pavement.  Then it's 17 miles of 2-lane twisties and hills until we hit town, which has a population of only 1,300.  Then it's really sweet highway from there on.  Most of the roads here are twisties and they keep most of the woods away from the main roads.  And the views!!!

It can be a hassle, what with the gravel and dust on the bike, and then being so far from a town and I worry about deer and other critters, but in the end...it sure is worth it when you're home!

What about you guys??
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:37:45 AM by RGlideKid »
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8

My situation is similar, 1/2 mile to the paved road and 18 2-lane miles to the town my business is in. There is another small town to the west that is only 10 miles away. My view isn't as nice as yours but it's not bad, lake beside the house and pasture in front, I don't have any pictures handy though. Plenty of deer and turkey, which is both good and bad. The deer destroyed my garden this week so I'm counting down the days for the season to open so I can get my revenge.  I don't like the gravel road and the dust on the bike but most of it blows off after I get to the paved road.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue

RGKid is that your primary residence? I'd hate to ride that road every time I got the bike out. I do have a secondary residence that is 7 miles up a dirt road and a driveway of gravel that sometimes takes a 4wd vehicle. The bike has never been there. ;) Oh it is 45 minutes from town around 30 miles. It is really a hunting cabin.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 04:11:06 PM by Dr.D »

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

RGKid is that your primary residence?

Yes it is.  I bought the house after my wife passed as a getaway spot, but now my new wife and I have retired here.  It's not for everybody but we absolutely love it.  Yes, it's a bother to drive in and out of, but the surroundings and the peace are worth it.
We have 10+ wooded acres with 670' of shoreline and all the privacy you could want.  We have Bald Eagles, Osprey, all the fishing and boating we can handle, and with 20+ feet water clarity we snorkle throughout the summer.  We're less than a mile from the boat ramp which is perfect for our party barge. 
We have deer, turkeys, practically tame rabbits, you name it.  All I have to do is shake the corn in a plastic pitcher and the deer are at the house minutes later.  We have great neighbors that would help you out in a moment's notice, and they all have wide skill sets.  I've got a huge shop and a Polaris ranger that we run around in all the time and act like kids again.  And that's just for starters!

Have I made it sound interesting yet?  Hey...home is where you make it!!!   ;D

And just look at that night sky!   ;)
Harry
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD

My situation is similar, 1/2 mile to the paved road and 18 2-lane miles to the town my business is in. There is another small town to the west that is only 10 miles away. My view isn't as nice as yours but it's not bad, lake beside the house and pasture in front, I don't have any pictures handy though. Plenty of deer and turkey, which is both good and bad. The deer destroyed my garden this week so I'm counting down the days for the season to open so I can get my revenge.  I don't like the gravel road and the dust on the bike but most of it blows off after I get to the paved road.

When does your season start? Ours starts this Saturday, and my yard has been a gathering point for them all summer. I have neighbors that think they are cute so I will have to head shoot them with my 22LR and a condom stretched over the barrel. Works real good.
Mike
 :drink:

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.

Kid,  Tin,  Now I want to move!     :(

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

Kid,  Tin,  Now I want to move!     :(

There's plenty of room for more, and houses and property are very reasonable!!!   :P
Harry

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max

When I leave my house I have 8 miles to decide if I want to go left or right to get food. Either way I go it's another 20 miles.
Bill

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue

Love to look at deer
Like to shoot deer
Great to eat deer
Hate to drag deer
Sucks to gut and clean deer
Enjoy grilling deer

BUT Deer in the garden could die season or not. I have a standing offer that if you come up to my property in the spring and do NOT hear a gobbling turkey I give you $500.

Nice evening photo you see any of that meteor shower yet? Heck I think I saw a falling star or two. BFD! Nothing to stay up late for.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6

When does your season start? Ours starts this Saturday, and my yard has been a gathering point for them all summer. I have neighbors that think they are cute so I will have to head shoot them with my 22LR and a condom stretched over the barrel. Works real good.
Mike
i think s.c. has earliest season of all the states. fire up the grill!!

WTF Chuck

• IBA 74296
  • 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2022 Screamin Eagle Road Glide Limited
    • Muck Cross Weather
Re: If you live "remote", how far is it to the nearest town or city for you?
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 05:12:18 PM »

We have a half a mile of gravel driveway then paved road to any one of 3 small towns each about 14 miles away. 800 miles of shore line at the lake about 5 miles away House is in the middle of 25 acres deer in the yard most days counted 16 turkey in the driveway yesterday while working on the gate. Just waiting for opening day we don't spend much on beef eat venison all year long. Life in the Country is good!!!!

Fullsac DX Pipe  2" cores and screens
Dynojet  Power  Vision  Tuner
KST's
HARLEY 28 SPOKE CHROME WHEELS
Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz Magic Strobe-LTP
WHAT' S Next
Darkside
Ecsta PA31
195/60/16

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 05:35:54 PM »

We have a half a mile of gravel driveway then paved road to any one of 3 small towns each about 14 miles away. 800 miles of shore line at the lake about 5 miles away House is in the middle of 25 acres deer in the yard most days counted 16 turkey in the driveway yesterday while working on the gate. Just waiting for opening day we don't spend much on beef eat venison all year long. Life in the Country is good!!!!

Nice to know we're not alone out in the boonies!  Life in the country is more than good, brother, it's the only way to live as far as we're concerned!
Harry

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 06:35:42 PM »

Mike
Try a baby bottle nipple, Unc. Really quite......works best with a single shot, no breech noise. Put it in his ear, never take a step.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 06:38:52 PM »

i think s.c. has earliest season of all the states. fire up the grill!!

You are correct. Where Unc lives its in this Sat!!!!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 04:56:14 PM »

Mike

You are a safe shooter Mikey.  :D
Our archery season starts September 12, firearms not until October 17. I have a new toy with a real suppressor on it, I plan on putting it to good use this year. I'll save my condoms for other pursuits.  ;)

I never eat a whole one. Sucks getting old but we are more clever aren't we?

Sorry for the thread derail RGK but I couldn't help myself.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 25 queries.