Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unusual NEW noise from top-end  (Read 2988 times)

adkg12

• Full CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3 - CVO Screaming Eagle Road King.
Unusual NEW noise from top-end
« on: August 13, 2015, 11:19:08 AM »

Recently, I decided to open the top end of my 110 to investigate a sound that started getting louder.  Of course, I could see anything obvious at first, and just decided to put it all back together.  In the process, I broke a bolt on the rocker arm support plate, forcing me to remove the rocker box.  Upon removing the rocker box, I was able to see the tell-tale marks of the valve spring retainer hitting the inside of the rocker box.  So I took my dremel and removed the gouge, and some extra metal as well to be sure.  I replaced the bolts with hardware store Grade 8 bolts and buttoned it all up.  Of course it was quieter than before, but I still have that 2200-3000rpm clatter.  It was pretty quiet for a while after changing to a different oil, but it is getting louder.  The engine is dead quiet until it becomes heat soaked.  I noticed that when I had the rocker box cover off, I see quite a bit of side to side play of the rockers themselves.  I can actually very easily move the rocker back and forth when its torqued down.  I plan on taking it apart again today, and measuring how much end play there is.  I have read that you can shim these, but I cannot for the life of me find that post that tells where to get those shims...I cant see anything else that could be causing the noise.  I could just keep riding it, I know, but if I can "fix it" why not.  I think I will drop the exhaust this time and have a look inside the cam chest, and install the oil pressure spring I bought a while back. 
IDeas?
Thanks
Glen

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Unusual NEW noise from top-end
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 06:48:42 AM »

check the lifters & change inner bearings if they havnt been already.ide also pop the heads off and switch the springs over to a set of beehives.the stock SE springs have WAY too much seat pressure and are the cause of most the lifter failure you see on 110 motors

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 07:07:08 AM »

Recently, I decided to open the top end of my 110 to investigate a sound that started getting louder.  Of course, I could see anything obvious at first, and just decided to put it all back together.  In the process, I broke a bolt on the rocker arm support plate, forcing me to remove the rocker box.  Upon removing the rocker box, I was able to see the tell-tale marks of the valve spring retainer hitting the inside of the rocker box.  So I took my dremel and removed the gouge, and some extra metal as well to be sure.  I replaced the bolts with hardware store Grade 8 bolts and buttoned it all up.  Of course it was quieter than before, but I still have that 2200-3000rpm clatter.  It was pretty quiet for a while after changing to a different oil, but it is getting louder.  The engine is dead quiet until it becomes heat soaked.  I noticed that when I had the rocker box cover off, I see quite a bit of side to side play of the rockers themselves.  I can actually very easily move the rocker back and forth when its torqued down.  I plan on taking it apart again today, and measuring how much end play there is.  I have read that you can shim these, but I cannot for the life of me find that post that tells where to get those shims...I cant see anything else that could be causing the noise.  I could just keep riding it, I know, but if I can "fix it" why not.  I think I will drop the exhaust this time and have a look inside the cam chest, and install the oil pressure spring I bought a while back. 
IDeas?
Thanks
Glen

We've seen those tell-tale spring collar marks on many occasions as well, in not only CVO bikes but other bikes as well with certain S/E kits installed.
Scott

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 08:26:50 AM »

Also check this. We are checking all the shafts and bolts now for this sign. Already found a bunch on non cvo bikes that seem quiet but have the witness marks on the bolts. Will be taking my 2010 apart to check. Its noisy as hell.  Set screw time.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-rushmore-models/1058869-the-tapping-the-quest-is-over.html
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 08:39:43 AM »

The spring collar rubbing problem was very common on the early 110's, enough so that Harley actually made a change to the rocker boxes in production.  See page 2 of the attached file.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

adkg12

• Full CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 08:49:08 AM »

So here is what happened.  I took everything apart last night, and checked the side movement of the rockers (while torqued, and on base circle).  Exhaust had almost .021!! Intake was only .016.   When I was finished with shimming, I ended up with about .004 on exhaust and .005 on intake.  Yes I dressed the rockers to use bigger shims.  I then moved on to the rocker boxes.  No new marks for contact.. so that is good.  So I aligned the box, torqued, installed rockers, torqued, checked clearance, and buttoned everything up!

End result?  Huge difference.  While I still have that clatter, I actually have to listen for it now.  Its very faint and almost sounds like its underneath me and not right out in front of the engine.  I rode it around last night for about an hour.  Highway, in town, etc.  Very different.  While it still has typical Harley sound, It does not have that 2200-3200RPM clatter (faintly) that it used to.  I do however seem to have a tiny bit of a tick like before, and my theory is where I aligned the boxes (ended up moving closer to the pushrods), I may need to clearance the box a little bit more.  Its either that, or one of my new lifters is failing...
We shall see. 

This site is a wealth of knowledge, that you just couldnt teach in a class...
Thanks
GLen

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 08:55:58 AM by adkg12 »

mike jesse

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 02:07:11 PM »

What type of shim did you use, and where did you buy them?

I plan to pull mine apart this winter for the rocker arm shimming.

I've already done the rocker shaft mods to keep them from rotating up and down.

adkg12

• Full CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 11:08:30 AM »

I got my shims from a local indy here in Columbus, Ohio.  They are the shims that are used on Shovel Heads.  I dont have that noise hardly at all anymore, but I do have the rocker box tick again.  I am convinced that is caused by me aligning the rocker box towards the pushrods, thus moving the box closer to the valve spring retainers.  I will remove the boxes yet again, one evening this week and see if there are marks again.  If so, I will re-clearance the boxes again and hopefully that deals with the issue.  I am wondering though, could one of my new lifters actually be failing? 
Glen

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 03:38:18 PM »

What type of shim did you use, and where did you buy them?

I plan to pull mine apart this winter for the rocker arm shimming.

I've already done the rocker shaft mods to keep them from rotating up and down.

I bought Stainless Shims from MC Master Carr.  Thought I posted up the Part#'s up. Look for a post shimming the rockers. I'll see if I can dig 'em up     
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 20 queries.