Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Lost my keys...options  (Read 5572 times)

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 FLHTCUSE5, FullSac Xpipe, 2",TTS, 8 speaker HogTunes!
    • CVO2: WO's Chubby 578, Road Tech Zumo 660
Lost my keys...options
« on: August 15, 2015, 09:50:49 PM »

Damn!
I lost my keys today on a ride in the mountains.
What are my options?
I have a spare with the spare remote.  Can I buy one online and program it myself?  How much am I looking at?  Will insurance pay?  I think my deductible is $500 as I doubt that will help.

Thanks for your ideas.
I was so much Older then....I am younger than that Now.

JMK

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE7(sold)
    • CVO3: FLHTCUSE3(sold)
Re: Lost my keys...options
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 10:57:08 PM »

Lost mine about a month ago, they fell out of my pocket in Missouri (we live in Virginia) my brother in law who was behind me said he saw something fall off on the highway. I got a new security fob at St Joe Harley they took me right in programmed it and had me on the road in an hour, about $100 there. I ordered the key fob when I got home thats another $100 and takes about two weeks. The dealer told me the bike has to be connected to their computer to reprogram the security fob. The worst part was in the chick fil a parking lot when the alarm started blaring and I didnt know that I couldnt enter the code until the alarm stopped. It was about a half an hour with the alarm blasting away.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 11:54:40 PM »

I lost my fob and it took the dealer about 2 minutes to re program and they did not charge me for the re program. Cant remember exactly how much the fob cost though, thought it was around $60.
Alan

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 01:42:47 AM »

As you all know, I lost my keys on the side of the road in New Mexico.  Fortunately, I had a second set in my saddle back liner.

As soon as I returned to San Diego I went to SD Harley Davidson and got the key and the fob.....seems like it was about $165 for both.  They took my bike in to program it and had it back to me in about 20 min.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 09:37:17 AM »

Fob in stock- less than $40
Key needs ordered around $80
One dealer want 1/2 hour labor for each piece to be programmed, other dealer was free and took 10 minutes. Need all keys and fobs present to program. Only two can be done at time. Found old key and have as extra now but not programmed to bike currently.
Will

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 12:08:17 PM »

Damn!
I lost my keys today on a ride in the mountains.
What are my options?
I have a spare with the spare remote.  Can I buy one online and program it myself?  How much am I looking at?  Will insurance pay?  I think my deductible is $500 as I doubt that will help.

Thanks for your ideas.

Just have somebody overnight it to you.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 FLHTCUSE5, FullSac Xpipe, 2",TTS, 8 speaker HogTunes!
    • CVO2: WO's Chubby 578, Road Tech Zumo 660
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 02:54:11 PM »

Went to the closest dealer it set me back $130 for key and fob should be a week then program they didn't mention a cost to program
So we'll see on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was so much Older then....I am younger than that Now.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 04:14:10 PM »

If it was my go to dealer and he charged for the program, he would no longer be my go to guy!!!!!!! :drummer:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 10:56:36 PM »

Key needs ordered around $80

that's highway robbery.  if you have to order it anyway, may as well just order the lockset for the tourpak.  give them your key number, and it comes matched to your other keys, lock and 2 keys.  cost around $25.00.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

Lost my keys...options
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 03:02:59 PM »

Cvo key is not in that set. With power lock/unlock function plus coded to actually turn the lock too with regular key end.
Will

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 10:42:36 PM »

I understand the fob is different, but is the barrel key any different?   mine didn't come with electric locks, so I wasn't thinking about that.....

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 03:52:43 PM »

on electric lock bikes, there is a barrel built into another fob type unit, along with security fob. big mess of plastic....
Will

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 05:49:06 PM »

sometimes it's good to be a luddite :D

hope you get this taken care of with as little pain as possible

Cowboy Neal

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 10:12:32 PM »

OK, so I didn't lose my keys, per se...

My FLTRUSE came with the regular HD security fob + the circular key embedded into a remote for the power locks. I got 2 of each. The fobs function fine. One of the remotes, however, was DOA. OK, no problem, the dealer ordered another one. Picked it up today... same problem. It doesn't do anything when you press buttons.

Reading thru this thread it seems there is some programming necessary at the dealership. I asked the parts guy & he said it was programmed. Maybe not, huh?

I'll be heading back there next week to have the 1k service done, so they will investigate further.

So, for those who have replaced the remote/key gizmo - did someone have to program something?

Thanks!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 09:03:34 AM »

OK, so I didn't lose my keys, per se...

My FLTRUSE came with the regular HD security fob + the circular key embedded into a remote for the power locks. I got 2 of each. The fobs function fine. One of the remotes, however, was DOA. OK, no problem, the dealer ordered another one. Picked it up today... same problem. It doesn't do anything when you press buttons.

Reading thru this thread it seems there is some programming necessary at the dealership. I asked the parts guy & he said it was programmed. Maybe not, huh?

I'll be heading back there next week to have the 1k service done, so they will investigate further.

So, for those who have replaced the remote/key gizmo - did someone have to program something?

Thanks!

Another "genius" parts counter person.  It seems Harley dealership's attract them like flies these days.

If programming to your particular bike's module wasn't required, anyone could buy a remote and then unlock your stuff.  Obviously, a new remote must be programmed to your particular bike.  Check your manual and see if they offer a way for the owner to do it as long as they have another remote that is programmed and working properly, similar to the way customers can program some car remotes.  If not, talk to the service guys, not the parts clown.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 25 queries.