Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Phone charger cable weather cap?  (Read 841 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Phone charger cable weather cap?
« on: August 31, 2015, 10:51:23 PM »

What do people use to protect the end of a phone charger cable from the weather?  When it rains and you remove the phone from the bike, what do you do to protect the end of the cable that plugs into the phone to keep it from getting wet?  I assume that some people have the wire in place semi-permanently and aren't removing the wire every time the bike gets wet.  I would think there would be a rubber cap that someone would sell for this, but I sure can't find one.  Any suggestions?

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Phone charger cable weather cap?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 10:55:03 PM »

Not sure what size end you need to cover, but if it is the smaller new iphone charger or micro USB maybe you could try a vacuum line cap?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 11:33:58 PM »

A vacuum line cap may very well work if I can find one the right size to try.  With as much as phones are used on motorcycles, I can't believe that someone doesn't make a weather cap for each type of cable end.  I'll head to the stores tomorrow to see if I can find something that will work for what I have in mind.  Thanks.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 01:52:13 PM »

What kind of cable end connector do you have?  There are places that make caps for USB and mini-USB male or female connectors, some with a tether.  The one I'm thinking of is called Roocaps.  I haven't found anything for a micro-USB male connector.  I guess the other option is a Lightning connector for an Apple, haven't had reason to ever look for one of those.

Good luck finding anything in a local store these days.  At least in my area, electronics retailers have morphed into TV and phone stores, and don't carry much in the way of accessories or component parts.  I've pretty much been relegated to searching on the internet for anything that isn't mainstream and a hot seller.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 08:48:49 PM »

Jerry,

I looked at Rookaps.  Have you ever seen one in use?  I'm just wondering if it only cover the metal protruding part or goes up over the cable end too.  If it goes over the cable end, that's the same size as a USB cable end and then I would have something that would work.  I'll see if I can contact them tomorrow and find out, or maybe I'll just take the chance for a few bucks and order some.  Thanks.

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 20 queries.