Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Toy Hauler Pros & Cons  (Read 12705 times)

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Life is too short to drink out-of-date beer"
Toy Hauler Pros & Cons
« on: January 20, 2007, 03:45:49 PM »

I wanted to throw this topic out there because I'm considering a Toy Hauler.

I'm looking to buy a new truck...which has been dicussed on another thread here.

Assumption is that it (Truck) will be a diesel! Dualie? Maybe.

I'm looking at 5th wheel Toy Haulers.

My buddy tells me I won't use it enough and I'll waste my money...many have I'm sure.

On the other hand, would it force you to do more on the weekends when the local weather may be bad but you can out drive it somewhere to ride and explore?

What brands do you own?  Do you like them enough to purchase another.

Your thoughts.
Unapologetically American!

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: Toy Hauler Pros & Cons
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 04:09:40 PM »

Six,

Depending on what you get the sually would be nice for the fifth wheel.  I use a single with my 24 foot trailer (9,000 lbs) simply because it manuevers better than the dually with a tighter turning circle.

I hear the new (2005) Fords have a much better turning circle than the older ones.

I think you may be right about the amount some folks use them.  We got a motorhome (23ft) for outrunning the weather and used it alot the first couple of years but the past couple it has only seen use in hunting season and one or two special events for overnight when rooms weren't available.

Once you narrow down what you like if you decide to buy one I would search the used market.  My brother sells trailers and he gets them in all the time that still have unused refrigerators and stoves, some even have the plastic still on furniture.

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »

What kind of toy's are you hauling????

_Beagle
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 11:54:35 PM »

I wanted to throw this topic out there because I'm considering a Toy Hauler.

I'm looking to buy a new truck...which has been dicussed on another thread here.

Assumption is that it (Truck) will be a diesel! Dualie? Maybe.

I'm looking at 5th wheel Toy Haulers.

My buddy tells me I won't use it enough and I'll waste my money...many have I'm sure.

On the other hand, would it force you to do more on the weekends when the local weather may be bad but you can out drive it somewhere to ride and explore?

What brands do you own?  Do you like them enough to purchase another.

Your thoughts.
Six Gun,
After a lot of researching, my wife and I took the plunge this last spring and bought a 5th wheel toyhauler.  We took it out four times this summer and fall, and are already setting up camping sites for next summer, including staying at a KOA camp site in Pigeon Forge for the National Hog Rally in Knoxville, TN in August.    There are a lot of toy haulers out there to buy and they are all good.  The one we settled on was the Key Performance Raptor by Keystone.  It's a 36 ft 5th wheel with dual slide-outs, 5.5kw generator, and a 12 foot garage in the back of the trailer.  It can comfortably sleep six adults.  The reason we went with the Raptor is it's a bit lighter than most toy haulers that size, but it's in construction techniques not leaving things off to save some weight.   We tow it with a 2006 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab, with the Cummins diesel, and a single rear wheel axle.  I did research on that and the only thing that dualies give you is a liittle more stability when towing a big rig.   I haven't noticed and stability problems with my truck when towing.   I got the 2500 instead of the 3500 because the ride in the 3500 when not towing was way too stiff and the only difference between the 2500 and 3500 is the suspension; power train and everything else is the same.  So what I did was have the RV dealer install Firestone airbags in the rear when they put the 5th wheel hitch in the bed.  Now I get the benefit of a 3500 when towing, but the softer suspension of the 2500, after letting the air out, when not towing.  Best of both worlds.   There are a lot of good deals out there on used trailers.  We bought ours new...the trailer had an MSRP of $56,350, but out the door price including the fifth-wheel hitch, airbags, and mounting, was just a tad over $41K.  The nice thing about having a trailer, is the tax deduction as a second home.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  Here's some pics of the trailer and the truck.
Cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 11:55:12 PM »

Left side of trailer

2012 FLHXSE3

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 11:55:42 PM »

right side

2012 FLHXSE3

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 11:58:06 PM »

Old Ultra in the garage.

2012 FLHXSE3

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 11:59:06 PM »

dining/living area

2012 FLHXSE3

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 11:59:42 PM »

bedroom, sort of

2012 FLHXSE3

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Life is too short to drink out-of-date beer"
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 10:17:33 AM »

RedDevil, I was wondering about a short bed/5th wheel combo...I guess you answered that.

I have only an 07 SE Ultra to haul.  What about two Ultras if you wanted to take some friends as well?

What do you think about the "Weekend Warroir?"  I do like the Raptors
though I have to admit.

Are you retired, or do you just go when you can?

One thing we dicussed the other night was having a garage to lock your scooter up in.  In the shorter Toy haulers you have to leave your machine out at night to stay in it.
Unapologetically American!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 10:59:01 AM »

RedDevil, I was wondering about a short bed/5th wheel combo...I guess you answered that.

I have only an 07 SE Ultra to haul.  What about two Ultras if you wanted to take some friends as well?

What do you think about the "Weekend Warroir?"  I do like the Raptors
though I have to admit.

Are you retired, or do you just go when you can?

One thing we dicussed the other night was having a garage to lock your scooter up in.  In the shorter Toy haulers you have to leave your machine out at night to stay in it.
Sixgun,

My wife and I still work, so we travel when we can.  (I wish we were retired, we'd be out all the time.) We love setting the trailer up and getting away from it all.

The Weekend Warrior is a nice trailer ... we looked at one of those also, but went with the Raptor for a couple of reasons.  It was a little lighter, I preferred the black rubber diamond tread floor over the checkerboard pattern, and the deal that we got from the dealer we bought the Raptor from.  Nobody, not even other dealers that sold Raptors could match them.   I had the dealer mount two removeable wheel chocks, and three base plates in the garage.  That way when we travel with just the Ultra, I can put one wheel chock in the center plate and evenly distribute the load on the axles.  If we need to two-up, all I have to do is move the wheel chock to the side plate and can carry two Ultras and any combination of bikes easily.  There's plenty of room in that garage.  The Raptor came with the track mount system for the tie-downs instead of fixed points in the floor, which is nice because it gives you unlimited options for tieing down things.  I had them run one track down each side of the garage, and one down the middle.  We bought the Raptor for exactly the same reason you stated about having a separate garage.  We can lock the bike in there at night, and also if we have to go somewhere during the day with the truck, the bike is out of sight, locked up in the garage.  Also, I wasn't too keen having the bike in the living area when we were towing.

The Dodge short-bed truck is a little longer than the Ford's.  (6ft 3in compared to 5ft 6in) So I don't have too much problem making relatively tight turns and not hitting the truck cab with the trailer nose.  The dealership did install a short-bed "slider hitch" though for those times when I did need to make really sharp turns.  When I throw the lever on the hitch into the maneuvering position, it allow the hitch to slide back in the bed about 11 inches and gives more than enough clearance between the nose of the trailer and the truck cab to make really tight turns.  I use the maneuvering mode whenever I get into any tight situations just for piece of mind.

Hope all of this helps you out...if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 09:08:20 AM »

Make sure any toy hauler you may look at has the tie down rings or the tie down racks bolted into metal in the floor and not just through the plywood.  Baggers are heavy machines and unless it is securely tied down they can break loose during transit.  The rear of any trailer or fith wheel takes the most abuse when going down the road!

There are quality brands out there like Keystone, etc.  and there are ones to stay away from.

I sell motor homes for a manufacturer and believe me there is quality and junk and unfortunately it is up to the consumer to notice the difference!!!!!!

napalm
napalm

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 10:40:54 AM »

For those that have toy haulers, what are things that you'd change?  What about things you find now you really like?  Eventually we think we'll head the same route, so we're looking for all the ideas we can hear.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 10:53:25 AM »

Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 11:46:18 AM »

Is My toyhauler overkill?
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 25 queries.