Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All

Author Topic: Having Second thoughts.. SEUltra or  SERK  (Read 13764 times)

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
Having Second thoughts.. SEUltra or  SERK
« on: January 20, 2007, 05:49:32 PM »

:-/

Man oh man, I am now thinking I may want the Ultra vs. the Road King.  I keep going back and looking at both and for a few grand more, I could get the ultimate touring bike.  I called my dealer (great guy) and he said that they will probably not be getting anymore SE Ultras this year  (or maybe very late in the MY) even though they are getting ready to move in to a new store in March.  I refuse to pay over MSRP.  I still have my SERK on order, but now feel I must at least explore the possibilities of getting an Ultra.

If I do decide to change my mind (too much time from the time I sent in my deposit until receipt ;D) can any of you recommend a GREAT dealer that I could get one from?  I would want the Black or the Red, and not the blue. It would probably have to be a phone transaction if it is too far away.  Is it possible to buy one and have it drop shipped to my local dealer for the mods?    It would have to be a dealer that one of you would really trust to do the right thing.

[smiley=nixweiss.gif]HELP

« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 11:52:30 PM by Cobaltman »
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Having Second thoughts.. SEUltra or  SERK
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 06:07:14 PM »

Can't help with the dealer but I can tell you that I had a RK and went to the SEEG. I would never go back! The comfort over the RK with the batwing and having the stereo is great. Good luck on your search.

sponserv

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 06:19:19 PM »

I have an 07 cuse and an 02 serk. No comparison. The cuse is pure luxury. If you plan on taking some nice trips or at least some overnighters.....cough it up for the cuse. Get on the phone and find one. In my opinion black is the way to go. Very classy and all Harley.

Once you find the bike have it shipped to you. Your local dealer will then be more than happy to help you spend more money on the bike.

Have fun.....life is not a dress rehearsal.
02 FLHRSEI Purple
88 Signature Edition Carrera
07 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
04 4 Slide Holiday Rambler Navigator
04 Black 1500 4wd Silverado
02 Grady White Gulfstream 232
Lots o' toys but no time to play

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 07:10:21 PM »

Well CBM, Counterpoint! I've had 4 RK's since '95 and this SERK is my 5th. In late '97, I traded in my '96 RK for a '98 EG. I kept it about a couple of months until they got a Black RK in, and got rid of the EG immediately. Didn't  keep it for more than 2 months. Didn't like a Fairing bike at all (liked the radio, that's it). Didn't like the Tourpak. The whole bike is top-heavier than a RK and heavier overall. I felt like I was on a 2-wheel convertible, not on a motorcycle.

So, it's apparent that HD knows their market very well. That's why they make both types. And a third type (Glide) with the fixed fairing. Only you can decide which one you're gonna like for the long haul. No one else can tell you this CBM. You gotta live with it! that's my $.02! ;) Hoist!
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »

Well CBM, Counterpoint! I've had 4 RK's since '95 and this SERK is my 5th. In late '97, I traded in my '96 RK for a '98 EG. I kept it about a couple of months until they got a Black RK in, and got rid of the EG immediately. Didn't  keep it for more than 2 months.[highlight] Didn't like a Fairing bike at all (liked the radio, that's it). Didn't like the Tourpak. [/highlight][highlight]The whole bike is top-heavier than a RK and heavier overall. I felt like I was on a 2-wheel convertible, not on a motorcycle.[/highlight]
 Hoist!

Hoist

Your ok with the R/K
In order to appreciate a real touring machine you need to mature and grow up some more. All us Electra Glide and Road Glide owners know that your day is coming. We are having fun watching you come of age and knowledge. And with that knowledge comes a purchase of an E/G or R/G eventually.
Have fun with the R/K but don't fight it when the maturity finally hits!

And Cobaltman,
buy the Ultra, you will not regret it!

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 07:42:49 PM »

Hoist

Your ok with the R/K
In order to appreciate a real touring machine you need to mature and grow up some more. All us Electra Glide and Road Glide owners know that your day is coming. We are having fun watching you come of age and knowledge. And with that knowledge comes a purchase of an E/G or R/G eventually.

And Cobaltman,

Thanks Chip, I guess that's gonna be a while though! I don't plan on growing up any time soon! ::) I did try it in '98 as I stated. However, it's just not for me. I'll keep it in mind, if maturity ever does hit! ;) Hoist! 8-)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 07:45:47 PM »

Hoist

Your ok with the R/K

Ouch, Howie.  Sounds like Silver-Black is saying your getting older.   Happens to us all  :'(.  
CBM - for what it's worth, I'm on my second Ultra and waiting for a B&O CUSE.  If I ever mentioned anything other than an Ultra, my bride would probably pin my ears back.  She loves the comfort.  
I love the RKs, too, don't get me wrong, but for me (and the bride), with the type of riding we do, I'll stick with the geezer glide  ;).
TC

And Cobaltman,

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 07:56:32 PM »

Cobalt, your question is kind of like one guy asking another which woman he's going to like best when they are both admirable.  Since riding both (bikes) is often difficult (wait, bikes?, yeah, bikes) and even problematic (yes, bikes) sometimes a guy just has to pick.  But help someone else make that choice?  Hell, Howie will be grown up before I'd make that choice  ;D .

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 07:59:28 PM »

Ouch, Howie. Sounds like Silver-Black is saying your getting older. Happens to us all .
CBM - for what it's worth, I'm on my second Ultra and waiting for a B&O CUSE. If I ever mentioned anything other than an Ultra, my bride would probably pin my ears back.

TC

Yes age is a consideration but I bought my first Electra Glide in 1988 when I was 34 and have had one every since. In 88 it was called a geezer glide but it was strange when all the guys depended on the geezer glide to haul their stuff. (and for Hubbard, even the 88 Electra glide had a S&S carb and Sifton cam and Paucho exhaust. So it never ends) So owning an Electra Glide or Road Glide is a smart move that wise men take.

Look at what is Harley's best selling bike!

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

jMho

« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 08:01:43 PM by Silver-Black »

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 08:00:44 PM »

Cobalt, your question is kind of like one guy asking another which woman he's going to like best when they are both admirable.  Since riding both (bikes) is often difficult (wait, bikes?, yeah, bikes) and even problematic (yes, bikes) sometimes a guy just has to pick.  But help someone else make that choice?  Hell, Howie will be grown up before I'd make that choice  ;D .

Don't worry Don, you won't have to. I'm never growing up!!! Getting old yes, growing up, no! ;) Hoist! 8-)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 08:05:24 PM »

TC

Yes age is a consideration but I bought my first Electra Glide in 1988 when I was 34 and have had one every since. In 88 it was called a geezer glide but it was strange when all the guys depended on the geezer glide to haul their stuff. (and for Hubbard, even the 88 Electra glide had a S&S carb and Sifton cam and Paucho exhaust. So it never ends) [highlight]So owning an Electra Glide or Road Glide is a smart move that wise men take[/highlight].

Look at what is Harley's best selling bike!

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

I realize everyone's entitled to their opinions. Growing up, maturing, that's one thing. Buying a Full Dresser does not necessarily a wise man make you! No matter how mature or immature you are. ;) Hoist! 8-)

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 08:05:58 PM »

I am going to back up my boy Hoist here.

Both of these bikes are in the "touring family" but they are totally different.  To answer Colbalt's question, I think he needs to ask himself, "what kind of riding am I going to be doing?"  I went from an Ultra to the SERK.  The ultra was great for long trips, but I was only taking one or two long trips a year.  The majority of my riding is weekend pleasure rides, and comuting.  I, like Hoist, found the top heavy weight (especially loaded) to be a real detriment, especially when you had to ride through congested areas.  I loved the radio, but I never used the CB, or the intercom.

Anyway, so if Cobaltman is planning on doing several long trips each year, he will probably be happier with the SEUC.  If you are looking for lighter more agile bike, stick with the SERK.   [smiley=soapbox.gif]

The only real solution is to buy one of each.   ;)

I have some sincere doubts that you will be disappointed with either one.  Go with your gut, your first instict is almost always right.

Later,
Ghost

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 08:08:02 PM »

Silver-Back,
I'm with ya'.  I've been told by a couple of dealers that over just the last five years, the shift from Softails to touring bikes have been staggering.  Better than 50% of the Big Twin market is now riding touring bikes (of course that includes RKs), but the Road Glides and EGs are the best sellers.  It appears that us Baby Boomers are looking for wider seats  ;).  Most of the metric guys are building bikes that closely resembles the Softails and RKs, but there's no mistaking that batwing fairing for any other cycle.
TC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 08:08:21 PM »

Don't worry Don, you won't have to. I'm never growing up!!! Getting old yes, growing up, no! ;) Hoist! 8-)

Someday we'll find a front porch somewhere to drag our aged asses and dirty minds out to, limp out to a comfy chair, whistle at the girls that go by, and bitch loudly about who has to ride in the sidecar that day  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] .

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 08:08:38 PM »

Hoist

Don took a very politically correct position on this subject (and I applaud him for it) but facts don't lie.

Hoist don't forget what Don rides and remember what he use to ride.

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Sorry Don,
You opened that one up and I was standing in the door and I was feeling the love! ;D

Bet your sitting there thinking, how did I get dragged into this?

must be your lucky day!

« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 08:11:19 PM by Silver-Black »

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 24 queries.