Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10  All

Author Topic: Having Second thoughts.. SEUltra or  SERK  (Read 13690 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Having Second thoughts.. SEUltra or  SERK
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2007, 12:52:05 PM »

The dealership I bought mine from charges $1K over MSRP for the CVOs.  

One other potential consideration is that, even though it should not be this way, some dealers handle you much better in the service department if you bought the bike from them.  Some seem to punish a bit later for not having purchased there to begin with.  

Agreed that just on general principles I would not pay very much over MSRP.  But if it was just a bit I'd be like Red and figure all the various costs of retrieval and time and other bennies the local purchasing dealer might be throwing in.  It's all part of the cost after all.  There is no sense, after all, in screwing yourself when the guy you're really upset with is the dealer for charging a bit more.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2007, 01:39:20 PM »

Thanks for all of the responses so far.  I will follow up on them when the stores open back up on Monday.  

In the meantime, I sent separate, very professionally worded emails to about 10 HD stores in Texas.  Each one was personalized as much as possible, inquiring as to the status of the 07 SE Ultra at MSRP.  It will be interesting to see who responds and when.  I already had two stores emails bounce back due to their inbox being full (some do not have specific email addresses for sales inquiries...Unbelievable!)

I am still debating the pros and cons of the Ultra vs. RK and will continue to investigate the possibilities of changing my mind ;D

I'll keep you posted.  More to follow.

Signed,

"Undecided" in Texas [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

If you are Asking only through email - I don't think you will find out much or get much if any response. They do not have a personal PC at there disposal and it is controled ny the admin of the dealer - Goes to default mail address and may or may not be looked at.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 01:39:58 PM by VAZHOG »

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2007, 03:06:33 PM »

One other potential consideration is that, even though it should not be this way, [highlight]some dealers handle you much better in the service department if you bought the bike from them.[/highlight]  Some seem to punish a bit later for not having purchased there to begin with.  

Agreed that just on general principles I would not pay very much over MSRP.  But if it was just a bit I'd be like Red and figure all the various costs of retrieval and time and other bennies the local purchasing dealer might be throwing in.  It's all part of the cost after all.  There is no sense, after all, in screwing yourself when the guy you're really upset with is the dealer for charging a bit more.
Twolanerider,
You've brought up a very valid point.  Although by law a dealership can't not honor warranty repairs or whatever, there's nothing that says they have to work on your bike in a timely manner or treat you well about it.  Car dealers used to and some still are that way.  I guess they figure, you didn't buy the vehicle from us so why should we give you any preferential treatment...it's sad, but it happens all too often.
cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2007, 03:53:09 PM »

Twolanerider,
You've brought up a very valid point.  Although by law a dealership can't not honor warranty repairs or whatever, there's nothing that says they have to work on your bike in a timely manner or treat you well about it.  Car dealers used to and some still are that way.  I guess they figure, you didn't buy the vehicle from us so why should we give you any preferential treatment...it's sad, but it happens all too often.
cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

The position we take at our store is that we will work on any Harley no matter were it purchased however the customers that patronize's our store will be the first one's served.

Dude
" Why Johnny Ringo ...you look like somone just ..walked across your grave"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2007, 04:03:30 PM »

The position we take at our store is that we will work on any Harley no matter were it purchased however the customers that patronize's our store will be the first one's served.

Dude

I know of (first hand) a few guys who have suffered through that kind of service when broken down on the road.  Personally I've been lucky though.  The few times I've ever needed service assistance while out on the road somewhere the shops have taken me in, looked things over, and did what they could to get me back on the road.  

Perhaps the treatment is different with a traveler than it is with a local who bought his bike elsewhere but has the misfortune of now needing service.  If you separate the travelers from the scenario it would seem the rest should just be first come and first served.  After all, Harley pays the warranty claims equally no matter where you bought the bike.  But it's not always that way or that fair.

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2007, 04:24:24 PM »

I know of (first hand) a few guys who have suffered through that kind of service when broken down on the road.  Personally I've been lucky though.  
Perhaps the treatment is different with a traveler than it is with a local who bought his bike elsewhere but has the misfortune of now needing service.  If you separate the travelers from the scenario it would seem the rest should just be first come and first served.  After all, Harley pays the warranty claims equally no matter where you bought the bike.  But it's not always that way or that fair.

TwoLander obviously if someone were broken down and from out of town that would be an exception we would always lend a helping hand to a visitor ....as for Harley paying the dealer for warranty work that is true however the customer who bought his bike from us not only got a great bike but he also got our great service ...after all out of ONLY 25 dealers in the entire country that won the Gold Bar and Shield we were one .... so our service is part of our bike sale and our customers always come first...we will do our best to take care of others but we are just as loyal to our cutomers as they are to us !

Dude
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 04:25:36 PM by BamaHarleyDude »
" Why Johnny Ringo ...you look like somone just ..walked across your grave"

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2007, 04:41:41 PM »

OK TC

Let me work with you here!
I'm thinking your wife needs a bike of her own. Maybe a S/E  R/K
But you will have to maintain it which calls for many test rides!
Am I headed in the right direction?

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Silver-Black,
I've tried that direction as well.  She's got her license, but where we live (just out side of Wash.,DC) she's not interested riding her own bike with all the idiots around here.  Can't say that I blame her.  But I do like your thinking  ;).
TC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2007, 05:27:52 PM »

TwoLander obviously if someone were broken down and from out of town that would be an exception we would always lend a helping hand to a visitor ....as for Harley paying the dealer for warranty work that is true however the customer who bought his bike from us not only got a great bike but he also got our great service ...after all out of ONLY 25 dealers in the entire country that won the Gold Bar and Shield we were one .... so our service is part of our bike sale and our customers always come first...we will do our best to take care of others but we are just as loyal to our cutomers as they are to us !

Dude

Certainly understand the logic involved in doing that sort of economic triage.  And, to a certain extent, don't even disagree with it.  Depends on how egregious is the level of preference given.

Generally speaking the guy that calls for service on Tuesday should get on the schedule on stay on the schedule before the guy that calls in on Wednesday; even if the guy that calls on Wednesday bought the bike there.  Anything else just smacks of privilege; and that's not really what this whole gig is supposed to be about.  It also seems potentially a somewhat petty type of retaliation against the guy who maybe just got a better deal elsewhere or just happened to walk in to a dealership somewhere and see a bike he happened to fall in love with.  

To consider the full scenario does your sales department discourage non-locals from buying bikes at your dealership because that buyer's home shop might not treat them as preferentially as if they had bought at home?  If not then the service prefernce practice is at least a bit hypocritical.  

Understand KYdude, I'm not saying it's a great evil; it's not even beyond the logic of the marketplace.  It is just one of those things that is a little worrisome to me as part of the buying public.  Whether others would find it worrisome to any particular degree would depend on whether their goal is preference and privilege for one or simply a fair and good job for them and the rest of their riding brethren.  Different buyers could quite understandably come down on either side of this question.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2007, 05:30:50 PM »

OK, let me rephrase my previous comments. You're out of your mind if you buy anything but the SERK! THIS BIKE IS AWESOME!!!!! My new opinion. I'll give my first impressions and more pics in the pics section. Later! ;) Hoist! 8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2007, 05:34:11 PM »

OK, let me rephrase my previous comments. You're out of your mind if you buy anything but the SERK! THIS BIKE IS AWESOME!!!!! My new opinion. I'll give my first impressions and more pics in the pics section. Later! ;) Hoist! 8-)

oooooooooh, Howie has been out on the black bike.  Howie likes it  [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=jalapeno.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]  !!

Ok, quit holding it back a little.  TELL US WHAT YOU REALLY THINK!!

Bagger

« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2007, 05:42:23 PM »

That's great, Howie!  Glad you like the SERK.  It is an awesome machine, just like you stated........and that works for you. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »

Silver-Back,
I'm with ya'.  I've been told by a couple of dealers that over just the last five years, the shift from Softails to touring bikes have been staggering.  Better than 50% of the Big Twin market is now riding touring bikes (of course that includes RKs), but the Road Glides and EGs are the best sellers.  It appears that us Baby Boomers are looking for wider seats  ;).  Most of the metric guys are building bikes that closely resembles the Softails and RKs, but there's no mistaking that batwing fairing for any other cycle.
TC

This site right here is a good example of that.  Many more guys and gals riding the three models of baggers here than all the others put together.  Now I'm from the ol' school.....if it doesn't have a fairing and a stereo........it's not really a bagger.  So......in short......more people here riding with a fairing than without.

Fairing provides much comfort, stereo, cruise control, etc. and it actually makes it where you can talk to your passenger instead of yelling at her.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2007, 06:20:28 PM »

For my SERK review and pics, go to the Pictures Section. Later ;) Hoist! 8-)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2007, 06:34:42 PM »

For my SERK review and pics, go to the Pictures Section. Later ;) Hoist! 8-)
Howie,
If you picked up your bike today, what the heck are you doing sitting here and posting????? :o
Cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2007, 06:38:33 PM »

Howie,
If you picked up your bike today, what the heck are you doing sitting here and posting????? :o
Cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Red

Thawing out!!! ;D Hoist! 8-)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 24 queries.