Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Yet Another Cam Question  (Read 5778 times)

FinalShot

• 2015 CVO Limted
    • TX

Yet Another Cam Question
« on: September 21, 2015, 01:31:23 AM »

I have a 2015 CVO Limited.  I ride about 30K a year and spend most of my time between 2 and 3000 rpm.  I'd like to get a little more HP and Torque out of my bike.  I have been reading and studying and have gotten myself in circles more times than not.  I think I narrowed down my cam selection to a Woods TW-222.  Does this sound like a good choice for the RPM range?  Also, I don't want something that is at the edge of what the OE valve train can handle.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: Yet Another Cam Question
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 06:21:17 AM »

Happened to have a used set here.
Almost new condition........$250.00 plus ship.
Scott

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 09:12:06 AM »

I have a 2015 CVO Limited.  I ride about 30K a year and spend most of my time between 2 and 3000 rpm.  I'd like to get a little more HP and Torque out of my bike.  I have been reading and studying and have gotten myself in circles more times than not.  I think I narrowed down my cam selection to a Woods TW-222.  Does this sound like a good choice for the RPM range?  Also, I don't want something that is at the edge of what the OE valve train can handle.

The 222 cam vs the stock 255 cam. Overall  it will provide a slight increase in power numbers on a honest dyno. a well tuned 255 will make 95 hp and 110 on avg with a good ex. We have tuned many of the 222 cams in a 110 for customers. The hp will gain +5 and the tq curve will broaden slightly and peak in the 113-114 range.  Not a huge bang for the dollar. Aggressive lobe profile, with stock springs most times will have cam noise . 

If you like the woods brand I would use the 555 cam. It does produce very nice results. has a broader tq curve over the 222 cam.  Having tuned both the 555 gets my vote  in the woods line up. Less aggressive lobe, more duration to cool engine down.   I would suggest that you have a quality tuner and have the engine tuned once completed to maximize your new cam.

The lifters in your bike are not the same as the 103 "c" lifter however having said that we are still seeing frosting of the roller. A good quality lifter would be a very good idea to replace with the cams.

Good Luck
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 09:35:44 AM »

Don't waste yer monies and as suggested have a good tune. The 255 may develop some heat but it is manageable.

JMHO

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 09:56:16 AM »

I agree with TN.  Get good pipes and tune, which will be your best bang for the buck.  The 255 is a good cam for your rpm range. 

FinalShot

• 2015 CVO Limted
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 04:12:12 PM »

The 222 cam vs the stock 255 cam. Overall  it will provide a slight increase in power numbers on a honest dyno. a well tuned 255 will make 95 hp and 110 on avg with a good ex. We have tuned many of the 222 cams in a 110 for customers. The hp will gain +5 and the tq curve will broaden slightly and peak in the 113-114 range.  Not a huge bang for the dollar. Aggressive lobe profile, with stock springs most times will have cam noise . 

If you like the woods brand I would use the 555 cam. It does produce very nice results. has a broader tq curve over the 222 cam.  Having tuned both the 555 gets my vote  in the woods line up. Less aggressive lobe, more duration to cool engine down.   I would suggest that you have a quality tuner and have the engine tuned once completed to maximize your new cam.

The lifters in your bike are not the same as the 103 "c" lifter however having said that we are still seeing frosting of the roller. A good quality lifter would be a very good idea to replace with the cams.

Good Luck

Thanks Steve, I was hoping you would respond.  I know a real good tuner about 5 miles from me in Keller. :) I'll have to swing by your shop so we can talk about this and if a tune or tune and cam is the right way to go.  I am not particular to any one brand or another. I am more concerned with reliability than anything else.  I'll do some reading on the 555.

If I just swing by the shop, is that okay or do you like appointments?

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 04:58:17 PM »

Swing by no issue.. Always like to meet the forum members  I might even have a set of take out 555 cams laying around.. not 100% on that but I can look. Many customers upgrade and leave me with the left overs.. HA HA most end up in the large blue dumpster. But some I hang on to.  IF you do decide on the 222 cam Scotts price is fair. 

Well if you are looking to improve upon the stock parts of the 110.. I would give some serious thought to different valve springs and lifters. and maybe a AIM clutch unit. Have seen a fair amount of the new slipper clutch's with burned up packs. And these are not guys that are beating on the bike. After all its a slipper clutch..  A few tweaks and you will be good to go. 

Just don"t tell Jswerve , you are getting a 113  :D :D   Just kidding... or are we.  :o
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 05:00:16 PM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 05:41:01 PM »

Swing by no issue.. Always like to meet the forum members  I might even have a set of take out 555 cams laying around.. not 100% on that but I can look. Many customers upgrade and leave me with the left overs.. HA HA most end up in the large blue dumpster. But some I hang on to.  IF you do decide on the 222 cam Scotts price is fair. 

Well if you are looking to improve upon the stock parts of the 110.. I would give some serious thought to different valve springs and lifters. and maybe a AIM clutch unit. Have seen a fair amount of the new slipper clutch's with burned up packs. And these are not guys that are beating on the bike. After all its a slipper clutch..  A few tweaks and you will be good to go. 

Just don"t tell Jswerve , you are getting a 113  :D :D   Just kidding... or are we.  :o

GRRRRRRRRRRRR

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 10:54:55 PM »

I have a set of 555 take offs you can have for $150 plus shipping if that would help you out. I went with a bigger build.  :)
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

FinalShot

• 2015 CVO Limted
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 11:37:26 PM »

I have a set of 555 take offs you can have for $150 plus shipping if that would help you out. I went with a bigger build.  :)

Great, thanks. I may just take you up on the offer.  I'm going to stop by and talk with Steve on Thursday.  I don't think I want a bigger build but then again, I didn't think I wanted a cvo either.   ;D

I have a trip next summer of 15,000 miles and I'm sitting at just shy of 30k now and will probably be at 45k for the trip and then 60k by the time I roll back home.  I'll take his advice and start working on some of the higher failure items as I'd rather spend my money than worry about having a HD failure covered under warranty.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 12:54:07 AM »

That's some trip!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

FinalShot

• 2015 CVO Limted
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 01:31:46 AM »

It will be and will do it in under 30 days.  The wife and I will go Fort Worth - Key West - Prudhoe Bay - Key West - Fort Worth.  This is a IBA ride and the wife wants to do it on her SGS.  I think it'll be fun but a back breaker with not a whole lot of time for sight seeing.

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 11:23:28 AM »

It will be and will do it in under 30 days.  The wife and I will go Fort Worth - Key West - Prudhoe Bay - Key West - Fort Worth.  This is a IBA ride and the wife wants to do it on her SGS.  I think it'll be fun but a back breaker with not a whole lot of time for sight seeing.

A bit off topic for your thread, but I found this site very helpful when researching the Dalton Highway.  It's got loads of good information.  Follow the links around, and you'll find plenty of advice for the Dalton Highway.  I'm envious - the Dalton is on my bucket list....

http://www.motoquest.com/blogs/does-and-donts-of-the-dalton-102

http://www.motoquest.com/guided-motorcycle-tour.php?prudhoe-bay-motorcycle-adventure-tour-28

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 07:27:03 PM »

Another off topic info:
Get hold of Gabe Carrera. He's a lawyer here in So. Florida. He just set a record from South to North on an American made motorcycle. Argentina to Alaska. Also runs in Hoka Hey every year.
A wealth of knowledge on iron butt travels. 954 533-7593.
John

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 09:17:31 AM »

How about the Wood 777 cams?
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 20 queries.