Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Idle is higher than normal  (Read 1229 times)

1911upstateny

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

Idle is higher than normal
« on: October 07, 2015, 06:03:26 AM »

Started bike this morning an it was idling t 1500 rpm figured just warming up a little got to first stop sign still at 1500 rpm if i roll forward on the throttle goes to 1000 rpm where it normal does.let off throttle goes back to 1500 rpm...any help would be great plan on calling the stealer when they open thanks

hdguy1

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE Carbon Dust/Charcoal Slate
Re: Idle is higher than normal
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 11:30:36 AM »

That happened to my buddy's 09 Road King. Apparently when he shut the bike off he had some throttle on and it remembered that throttle setting when he shut it off. Can't remember what he did but he called the dealer and they told him what to do. It was a 2 minute fix to reset it. Sorry I wasn't more help.
Vance & Hines Monster Ovals, Power Duals, FP3 Tuner

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »

I assume you're talking about your '14 CVO Road King?  If your turn the bike off at an RPM above normal idle, you may have inadvertently reset the idle speed. This was common on the pre- Canbus bikes.  There are two simple things to try.  1.  Turn the ignition on and off three times, waiting a couple of seconds between each cycle.  Then start bike.  If that doesn't fix,  2. Try pulling the main fuse.  To do so without sounding the alarm, turn ignition on before pulling fuse (under left side cover).  Then turn ignition off.  Wait 20 seconds or so before reinserting fuse.   Hope this helps.   

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

1911upstateny

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 12:00:45 PM »

Oops sorry yes my 2014 cvork Thnks i will give it a try when i leave work i will do the fuse at home if thats whats needed
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 12:37:43 PM by 1911upstateny »

1911upstateny

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 09:45:26 AM »

Did the on off 3 times bikes is fine now thanks for the help...dealer said it might need a reflash that there was a bulliten out about it but working fine now

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 11:53:00 AM »

Did the on off 3 times bikes is fine now thanks for the help...dealer said it might need a reflash that there was a bulliten out about it but working fine now

Glad to hear!    :2vrolijk_20:     :2vrolijk_21:      :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 02:10:24 PM »

This was a widespread issue when the electronic throttle control came out, and there were supposed to be some software changes to reduce the possibility of it happening.  I would imagine that by 2014/2015 the issue would have been eliminated completely, unless you managed to hold the throttle open throughout the entire shutdown procedure.  I used to recommend people take their hands off the grip and use the ignition switch to turn the bike off rather than the Run/Stop switch, but of course that no longer works with bikes that don't have a key switch for the ignition.  I'd say you just need to be aware this can happen and make sure you release the throttle completely before shutting down, and if it continues to happen check with the dealership.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 20 queries.