Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Recent Harley Advisory Panel  (Read 14948 times)

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
Recent Harley Advisory Panel
« on: October 08, 2015, 04:27:44 PM »

I just completed Octobers advisory panel questionnaire. When they say they are considering getting rid of the locking side stand, I assume they mean the kick stand? If so, why would they make the kickstand NON locking? Seems that would be way unsafe. I had to answer several questions regarding my future purchase(s) if there was not a side stand or if I'd rather have one locking or non locking or didn't care. For what's it worth, my vote is to keep a locking side stand.

Thoughts?

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
Re: Recent Harley Advisory Panel
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 04:38:28 PM »

Absolutely, even if they planned to exchange the side kick Stand for a ride off center stand it would be a problem because the center stand won't work in all circumstances and even if it did it's not something everyone likes or would use.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 04:45:33 PM »

I just completed Octobers advisory panel questionnaire. When they say they are considering getting rid of the locking side stand, I assume they mean the kick stand? If so, why would they make the kickstand NON locking? Seems that would be way unsafe. I had to answer several questions regarding my future purchase(s) if there was not a side stand or if I'd rather have one locking or non locking or didn't care. For what's it worth, my vote is to keep a locking side stand.

Thoughts?

Rob, I'm nervous anytime I'm parking downhill from you.  :nervous:   without the locking feature would not be good. I wonder if that would save them fifty cents a bike, er maybe more?

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

windjammer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 sold
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 04:56:39 PM »

I did the survey also and had the same concerns. Not sure what they are doing in Milwaukee sometimes.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 04:57:31 PM »

Rob, I'm nervous anytime I'm parking downhill from you.  :nervous:   without the locking feature would not be good. I wonder if that would save them fifty cents a bike, er maybe more?

TN

The problem with me ain't the locking mechanism, it's the putting the stand down mechanism! Mike'll tell ya...  :drink:

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 05:01:59 PM »

Same answers as you when I did mine Rob. Also added a few opinions about the cheap route they took on our bikes concerning painted parts, or lack thereof.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 05:08:01 PM »

I agree it should be locking, but interesting they would ask about that.  No side stand?  I wouldn't want a center stand, only.  Parking on uneven  or sloped surfaces would be interesting with just a center stand.  Seems like a question with only one answer.

Asking about a locking gas cap would make more sense.  Yes, please.  Electronic, of course.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 05:19:25 PM »

Thanks for posting this Rob.  I too thought the question was strange to say the least.  I did not get the impression that the side (jiffy) stand would be eliminated at all - just that it would no longer be locking.  I simply cannot understand how that would be of any benefit nor can I envision any downside to having a locking side stand.  Actually I think the locking side stand is one of the better features of a Harley, and one that seems to work without failure to boot.

Why, oh why do folks confuse change with improvement?   :nixweiss:  Leave it alone.  It works just fine.   :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

skycat

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: Silver/Black 2015 Street Glide.
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 05:25:11 PM »

The side stand on my Street glide and Dyna are a floppy POS  >:( i worry every time i put stand down, i have no confidence in the design whatsoever.
The Soft Tail feels like a more refined and stable system. Still not as good as a Honda or Suzuki  :nixweiss:   
2015 CVO Street Glide, not as good as it should be, Working on that it just needs time, like a good wine.
2010 Buell 1125R, my favorite blaster.
2003 Harley FXDL 100th Anniversary, a little gem.
1975 Suzuki RE5 Rotary 1200km as new.
2012 Suzuki GSX1250FA the perfect Hack. Awesome Bike

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 07:24:51 PM »

HD, to me, has the best kick-stand out there. Not sure why they would want to change it. I could not believe it when I came to that part  of the survey.
That was first survey I have not completed every question on. I would not tell them about performance add-on's to my bike.

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 07:40:08 PM »

I agree it should be locking, but interesting they would ask about that.  No side stand?  I wouldn't want a center stand, only.  Parking on uneven  or sloped surfaces would be interesting with just a center stand.  Seems like a question with only one answer.

Asking about a locking gas cap would make more sense.  Yes, please.  Electronic, of course.

Locking gas cap - why?   Can you elaborate.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 07:59:24 PM »

Same reason most any car has one these days .... security.  I don't see why they can't have a door that locks with the saddlebags.  I've never had a problem, and I'd like to keep it that way.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 08:32:51 PM »

Seems like somebody at HD figured they could increase profits by   A) removing the Jiffy stand locking slot on the frames, saving material     B) removing the locking tab itself from the jiffy stand, saving material and a little chrome plating    C) Selling a whole bunch more painted parts when everyone's bike falls over  ::)

I'm waiting for the survey that announces an actual improvement in the quality of a given component and asks me if that would influence my purchase decision.

FWIW I did answer that I would NOT purchase a motorcycle without a LOCKING feature on the side stand.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 08:53:08 PM »

I was 110% against removing the locking side stand on the survey.  In comments I let them know I felt it was another move to lessen quality, save the company money, and give the customer less for their money.  I added in like removing the bullet turn lights from the 16 CVO RG and Limited was a cost savings for the company, but a price increase for us and a decrease in rear-end visibility.  Cheapening the product again while charging more.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 09:03:57 PM »

The locking side stand is one of HD' s best features. The topic of a fallen bike due to rolling forward when parked comes up every few weeks on all the non HD forums I belong to as most euro's and metrics don't have the locking feature. I've had it happen once in my Suzuki a while back
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 25 queries.