Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Heated Grips  (Read 6583 times)

txn.style

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Black Licorice with Midnight Cobalt Flames
Re: Heated Grips
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2016, 03:04:14 PM »

Well I just added the CVO heated grips to my CVO Streetglide.  It is already wired on throttle side. Took me another 30 minutes to run the clutch side through.  I had to extend the heated grip wires but that is only 30 minutes of work to solder two wires on each side.  If a lowly forum member can do it an hour a certified technician should be able to at least match that😎

What heated hand grips did you use because I was told that HD doesn't sell one that fits the 2016 FLHXSE.  Thanks in advance.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 05:36:30 PM »

What heated hand grips did you use because I was told that HD doesn't sell one that fits the 2016 FLHXSE.  Thanks in advance.

What style grips do you want?  I think I'm correct in saying the 2016 comes with the Airflow collection, correct me if I'm wrong.  The FLHXSE comes with the non-heated version, and the FLHTKSE comes with the heated version.  If you like the grips currently on the bike, you can just order the production parts used on the Limited.  It's more expensive than buying one of Harley's kits when you buy the individual production parts.  Example below for the Airflow parts:

P/N 56100096 - RH Heated Grip  -  $131 MSRP
P/N 56100097A - LH Heated Grip -  $353 MSRP
P/N 56100094 - End Cap for RH Grip - $14 MSRP

You could also go with the grips used on one of the earlier model year CVO Limited or Ultra's.  Many have used the Rumble style grips from earlier CVO Ultra's on their Street Glides for instance.

As for the kits in the catalog, I have no clue why they say the Airflow kit won't fit the late model Touring bikes.  Most likely it's nothing more than a wiring connector difference, which is easily handled by any competent installer.

In other words, you can install heated grips on a 2016 CVO Street Glide.  I'm sure more than one person has already done it.  Don't be confused or dissuaded by the misinformation put out by the Harley dealership personnel.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

txn.style

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 06:37:05 PM »

What style grips do you want?  I think I'm correct in saying the 2016 comes with the Airflow collection, correct me if I'm wrong.  The FLHXSE comes with the non-heated version, and the FLHTKSE comes with the heated version.  If you like the grips currently on the bike, you can just order the production parts used on the Limited.  It's more expensive than buying one of Harley's kits when you buy the individual production parts.  Example below for the Airflow parts:

P/N 56100096 - RH Heated Grip  -  $131 MSRP
P/N 56100097A - LH Heated Grip -  $353 MSRP
P/N 56100094 - End Cap for RH Grip - $14 MSRP

You could also go with the grips used on one of the earlier model year CVO Limited or Ultra's.  Many have used the Rumble style grips from earlier CVO Ultra's on their Street Glides for instance.

As for the kits in the catalog, I have no clue why they say the Airflow kit won't fit the late model Touring bikes.  Most likely it's nothing more than a wiring connector difference, which is easily handled by any competent installer.

In other words, you can install heated grips on a 2016 CVO Street Glide.  I'm sure more than one person has already done it.  Don't be confused or dissuaded by the misinformation put out by the Harley dealership personnel.

Jerry
Thanks for the feedback. It has something to do with the "chubby" handlebars used on THE 2016 FLHXSE. The handlebars are actually too big - unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 07:46:41 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. It has something to do with the "chubby" handlebars used on THE 2016 FLHXSE. The handlebars are actually too big - unfortunately.

I'm not sure I understand the reference to "chubby" handlebars, but according to the parts catalog the 2016 FLHXSE uses the exact same part number handlebars as is used on the 2016 FLHTKSE, which comes with heated grips.  So while you may not be able to use one of the existing kits in the accessory catalog, you could still use the production grips from the  CVO Limited.

Chrome Handlebar Part Number 55800214 is used on both bikes.  Two colors of the FLHXSE use the black version, part number 55800308.

Btw, I did find a different listing for the Airflow Heated Grip kit in the accessory catalog that is supposed to fit Rushmore bikes.  It still says it won't fit CVO's, but Harley has been saying that about all the heated grip kits going back as far as I can remember, so it will take a little more digging to see if this time there really is a valid reason for that disclaimer or if it's just a continuation of that old misleading information.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/airflow-collection-heated-hand-grips

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

txn.style

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 07:56:24 PM »

I'm not sure I understand the reference to "chubby" handlebars, but according to the parts catalog the 2016 FLHXSE uses the exact same part number handlebars as is used on the 2016 FLHTKSE, which comes with heated grips.  So while you may not be able to use one of the existing kits in the accessory catalog, you could still use the production grips from the  CVO Limited.

Chrome Handlebar Part Number 55800214 is used on both bikes.  Two colors of the FLHXSE use the black version, part number 55800308.

Btw, I did find a different listing for the Airflow Heated Grip kit in the accessory catalog that is supposed to fit Rushmore bikes.  It still says it won't fit CVO's, but Harley has been saying that about all the heated grip kits going back as far as I can remember, so it will take a little more digging to see if this time there really is a valid reason for that disclaimer or if it's just a continuation of that old misleading information.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/airflow-collection-heated-hand-grips

Jerry
Thanks Jerry!

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.