Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Baker 7 Speed  (Read 12152 times)

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Re: Baker 7 Speed
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 04:47:19 PM »

While following the info-trail on this topic, I happened to read the FAQs at Baker and found this bit enlightening
(emphasis added)
<<<

"Q: Do you recommend the new Harley SYN 3 oil?

A: No. SYN 3 is a 20W50 multi-use full synthetic oil that can be used in the transmission, primary, and the engine according to the Factory. SYN 3 is convenient in that only one oil type need be used in the engine and drive train. Like most things in life, the trade for this convenience is compromise. 20W50 works OK in the engine but is way too thin to be effective in the transmission and primary under cold and hot operating conditions. If the convenience of having one type of oil in your garage out weighs your patriotic obligation to take good care of your bike, you should consider selling your Harley so you can buy a Toyota Prius. Then you can join the Peace Corps and help orphaned children with dysentery in Zimbabwe.
>>>>>
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2016, 09:12:22 AM »

Trans need a fluid that has a GL rating . I know that many do not follow that and run amsoil or syn 3 but I agree too thin, syn oil in the primary can create clutch slippage as well.. I feel you the engine oil in the engine. Run a GL in the trans and a lube designed for the primary .  But heck that is common sense ...  HA HA .. 

In stock units I tend to run a thicker lube , the Baker std weights work just fine.. Pick a flavor go from there
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2016, 07:14:17 PM »

I remember when we made a big deal about Japanese bikes havin a five speed trans vice the four speed in a Harley. Or if you put a nice four speed in your hot car.  Nowadays my Cadillac has an 8 speed automatic and people here are touting 7 speed manual shift for their Harleys. Where does it end ?

B B

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2016, 10:00:27 PM »

Where does it end ?

Hopefully, it doesn't!

2010FLHTCUSE5

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 02:40:50 PM »

I run a DD7 on my 2010, with a S&S 124 and Barnett clutch and 30T.  It works fine if tuned correctly, see Fuel Moto if you want a really good tune.  Given the size and power of my bike, it was not worth it as I'm in and out of 1st gear so fast that it's really useless.  So my advice would be if you are looking at this as your solution to low end help, then it's good.  If you have other mods, it may not be worth it.
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 03:39:11 PM »

Comparing the gear ratios I wonder why I would spend the money on a DD7?  It really looks like wasted money  :nixweiss:

The ride is smooth as it is. (And if your ride on a new HD is not smooth it's probably not the bikes fault)

So why is this worth the money?

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 03:43:16 PM »

I don't have one but I understand that they have less rotating mass, a stronger door and are claimed to be smoother shifting.
I'd like to try one for a while.

2010FLHTCUSE5

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 03:48:29 PM »

Baker is definitely a better transmission than your stock HD.  All you said is true, and would be the same if you went with a Baker 6 speed.
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 04:02:50 PM »

I hear that but why is it better?  What makes it better?

Baker is definitely a better transmission than your stock HD.  All you said is true, and would be the same if you went with a Baker 6 speed.

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 04:13:27 PM »

I can't speak to the mechanics of it.  All I can tell you is that it is smoother shifting, no "clunk" into gear, and easy to find neutral.  I hear good things about the reliability as well.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2016, 04:19:01 PM »

But none of that is a reason to spend the money in my opinion  :nixweiss:  I have no problem finding neutral. (Not that I need to, I never leave a manual in neutral, car or bike for obvious reasons) and I no problem shifting gears either. (Never had in all the HDs I owned)

I buy tons of chrome crap for my bike that does not make a difference either but for some reason I think a transmission should provide more than just a name?

I can't speak to the mechanics of it.  All I can tell you is that it is smoother shifting, no "clunk" into gear, and easy to find neutral.  I hear good things about the reliability as well.

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2016, 04:20:02 PM »

Then I would highly suggest you not purchase one ;)

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2016, 04:26:39 PM »

Well if there is no reason to I will not.  :nixweiss:

Then I would highly suggest you not purchase one ;)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2016, 09:20:12 PM »

But none of that is a reason to spend the money in my opinion  :nixweiss:  I have no problem finding neutral. (Not that I need to, I never leave a manual in neutral, car or bike for obvious reasons) and I no problem shifting gears either. (Never had in all the HDs I owned)

I buy tons of chrome crap for my bike that does not make a difference either but for some reason I think a transmission should provide more than just a name?

It may not be the tranny for you. But for those of us that every time the bike is started its 2up and you have close to 450 lbs climbing on it plus whatever the weight of whatever junk that gets thrown on or the junk that alway seems to come back home with us from the garage sale that the wife makes me turn around for so she can just "LOOK". The feeling of the close ratio gears is also a great feeling when that same 450 is on the bike and the trailer is tied on behind and you start up a set of switch backs that run up the side of a mountain. Those gears feel very good there. I wouldn't say that the DD7 is for all because it's not but for those that use a bike under a load....its really nice.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2016, 12:32:26 PM »

I'm curious about something.
Since everyone seems to have their own idea of what the best gearing would be - - -
Can you custom order your gears ?  I can't see why not if Baker makes the gear you want.
Seems like you should be able to order every gear the way you want it
Understand that I have taken transmissions apart and put them back together so I know how they work
and I don't see a problem with only certain gear ratios being compatible but I'll listen for sure if I'm wrong

B B
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.