Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 8786 times)

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Insurance
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 05:39:50 AM »

Your Insurance rate  depends on What State you live in and what your zipcode is. That's how the rate is set. So Asking what you pay on the internet is cpomparing apples to oranges.

You need to talk with your neighbors , insurance regulations and rate  are set on risk at the local area that's why they are all different.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 07:27:49 AM »

Wow, I guess there are advantages to living in the Plains.  $233.35 a year for full coverage in NE.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 07:54:07 AM »

Not only do insurance rates vary from state to state but also vary between rural and urban areas.  It is nearly impossible to even compare State Farm in Arizona to State Farm in New Jersey.  If price is what your after,  contact your State's Department of insurance to see if they have a survey of insurance rates among the licensed insurers.  In Arizona our Dept of Insurance does that as well as maintain a survey of complaints received against each carrier and then ranks them on a per 1000 policy basis.  Here is the link to the rate comparison in Arizona
http://www.id.state.az.us/publications/wwwEdition_1-07PAPremSurvey.pdf  
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 08:02:12 AM »

We have Allstate for our home and cars.  A few years back, when I got my first bike, I called my agent and as soon as I asked for a motorcycle quote he said "Call Progressive, they have better rates and coverage than we offer."

I have used Progressive for my bikes ever since, and I have been very happy with the service, and very happy with the rates.  But as VAZHOG said, its all about your zip code.  When we moved to BFE Missouri from Northern KY, all of our insurance rates dropped like 30%.  I pay less than $800.00 for both bikes.  I think the entire premium is for the SERK.  The volume discount for having two bikes on the policy basically covers the insurance for the Sportster.

Good Deal. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Ghost
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 08:03:02 AM by Ghost_Rider »

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007, 08:21:40 AM »

Interesting thread. Five years ago, I bought a $9,000 Honda. I went to Farm Bureau to get insurance and the first question was, do you have a clean driving record? Of course I do. Farm Bureau doesn't write motorcycles, but the local office used American Motorcycles.  She ran it and quoted me $450 for full coverage. Then I remembered the speeding ticket. 67 in a 55, my first in 25 years. The price jumped to $750! YIKES.

I started asking other riders what their insirance costs were and they kept telling me about Grange Insurance and their premiums were like $250 for full coverage. I scoot over to the local Grange agent and she starts off with mine at $250. The thing I found that made the biggest difference was the amount of liability coverage. Like jeffj posted, you want to insure against underinsured motorists to keep them from going after your net worth (if you have anything). Most of my local buddies work at a factory and that's not an issue. I still wrote a policy with grange but, I added a lot more liability and i ended up getting it at a better rate than American Motorcycle. $550 or so. I traded the honda for a EG, traded that for an Ultra, traded that for this 07 SEUC. Users on this site know what the cost of a SEUC is. I didn't see hardly any difference in the cost of insurance on a more expensive bike. $25-$35 a year maybe. Just my take on it.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2007, 10:03:02 AM »

To go along with what everyone else has said sofar you have to look at rates from the insurance company view to get an idea.
Location of insured changes the rates due to things like accident rates and number of claims in that zipcode. Then a big claim factor is theft rates. If you have a bike that is the favorite target of theives in your area you will pay more.Rates could be lower in northern states since the riding season is shorter and you are are on the road less months a year so less exposure to accidents or in public for thefts.
Medical coverage is an area that can affect your liability since you or your passenger are probably going to file some claim in the event of an accident. Relatively speaking property damage is usally lower in bikes compaired to cars or SUVs.
Of course the operator's driving record come into play with the number of past claims filed,tickets, age etc.
Then the type of bike can have some effect on rates with some companies. Some just go by number of c.c.s such as, "Is the bike over 1,000ccs or below" other comapnies would insure a geezerglide for less compaired to the same size sport bike due to increased odds for accidents and agressive driving and theft issues.
Recent articles have mentioned increased accident and injury rates among middle aged cruiser/touring riders since the baby boomers are aging and having more disposable income they are buying the "Dream bike" they always wanted and are starting to ride late in life or have been away for a long time and their skills are rusty. So they are hitting the road on big bikes with bad skills which lead to wrecks. So if the insurance industry sees that as a trend, rates could change for us middle age guys since we would be in a higher risk catagory.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007, 10:13:41 AM »

Allstate Motorcycle Insurance has paid on my last two bikes.  They paid on the SEEG within two days of the estimate from the dealership (I was still in the hospital)........no question asked.  

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2007, 10:16:20 AM »

I have GEICO on all of my vehicles and have been with them for 27 years.  I get a 25% discount for being an MSF Instructor (10% if you've taken the course), I get a 10% discount every year I renew, safe driver discount, another discount for being military(retired), and a discount for multi-vehicles.  I get full-value replacement and $250 deductible with $300K/$300K coverage.  GEICO has been great to deal with and they've treated me great.  I guess that's why I've been with them so long.  Another benefit I get now that I've been with them, I'm guaranteed renewal, regardless of what happens now. they will never drop me. All this for around $700/year and this is for Northern VA, which is higher than when I lived in the Tidewater (Norfolk) area.

Cheers  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Charlie
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 10:17:49 AM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

• CVO1: 2010 Burnt Amber/Citrus
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG Two Tone Red
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG BWO
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2007, 09:10:46 AM »

One other thing I might say it to stay away from a compnay by the name of Pacific Specialty.  I had a terrible experince on bike that was wrecked with 13 miles on it.  It took 10 weeks to get any money.  Everyone I know that has insurance coverage with this company and has had a claim has had nothing but trouble settling it.  

It was sold to me through the HD shop where I bought my first Harley.  You pay for what you get and it was cheap.  When I was picking up my 07 UCSE, I was outside with the salesman and my wife had sat down with the F&I man.  When I sat down, he layed an insurance quote in front of me.  I noticed it was from PS and I went on to tell him what a piece of crap, my words, that company is.  I told him it was not personal, but he needed to know what kind of company he was selling.

As has been said above, regarding comparing rates in different locales.  It is very hard to do.  The best thing is find an agent you trust and an ins company you are comfortable with and stay with them.

john
"The past is a place to be remembered, but not a place to dwell"

kazumdgc

• Senior CVO Member
  • Only Way to GO!
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2007, 10:26:16 AM »

Lots of good thoughts. I got a quote from Formost for my 07 Jester and 95 Nostalgia 2 riders wife and me no tickets no problems 40 years riding on me 3 on wife lots of saftey classes in PA. $2400.00 per year. I am with Dairyland today at $1100.00. Big difference.

mtncop73

• Senior CVO Member
  • Without the wind in my face I woulda gone crazy
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2007, 10:33:33 AM »

I use progressive for my cages and called for a quote to add Hazel to the policy. They were really high. (In more ways than one I think :o) So I called the Farmers Insurance agent recommended by my salesman. Not only were they less expensive, they offered replacement coverage that progressive did not. I know my salesman got a kickback, but I have been really satisfied with the insurance I found.
It's not how a man dies that makes him a hero, It's how he lives.

bdk

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2007, 12:15:23 PM »

All I can say Is that you want to be fully covered, I went down and was laid up for six months A kid at a Club just pulled out and the next thing I know I'm going through his windshield then to the ground, guess what the first words out of his mouth are I didn't even see you, No Sh** Off to the hospital I go all busted up the next thing he has minimal Insurance and you can't double stack in Ma. So I have to go after myself, thinking I'm all set because of extra policy's in place, they cover everyone else but me, and to top it off my Medical Provider wants to be reimbursed for all medical costs, so now I carry the MAX I can get with extra Medical.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2007, 05:37:29 AM »

I live in Western Maryland. I have Geico. I just got my bill for the year. With full coverage on just 2 bikes I pay 648.00 a year. "V" had a come apart when she saw the bill. Hers in Georgia is quite a bit more.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2007, 04:36:16 PM »

All very interesting.  Surprised I haven't heard the term "Stated Value", or "Stated Policy."  This is the type of coverage I have on Ol' Maudie.  My provider is Nationwide Ins. Co., which has everything I own, personally, insured.  Maudie is an '02 FLHTCUI, and carries a book value of around $11,500.00.  I have $40,000.00 coverage on that Bike, with a deductible of $1000.00.  I just renewed for another year, and the premium is $609.00.  Of course, I had to produce invoices for all the modifications, accessories, and work performed.  My agent also has Maudie on Video, which was a condition of that type of Insurance coverage.  Works for me.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2007, 05:26:39 PM »

All very interesting.  Surprised I haven't heard the term "Stated Value", or "Stated Policy."  This is the type of coverage I have on Ol' Maudie.  My provider is Nationwide Ins. Co., which has everything I own, personally, insured.  Maudie is an '02 FLHTCUI, and carries a book value of around $11,500.00.  I have $40,000.00 coverage on that Bike, with a deductible of $1000.00.  I just renewed for another year, and the premium is $609.00.  Of course, I had to produce invoices for all the modifications, accessories, and work performed.  My agent also has Maudie on Video, which was a condition of that type of Insurance coverage.   Works for me.  Later--HUBBARD

Hub

I have coverage on the Frontier based on my receipts not based on book value.

I'm betting your agent had to use the "Fast Forward" feature on his video camera to capture Maude!

:coolblue:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 05:32:39 PM by Silver-Black »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 20 queries.