Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: service in the military, local, or federal gov't  (Read 26816 times)

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
Re: service in the military, local, or federal gov
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2007, 11:31:00 AM »

Did my 4yrs in the Army, 2 weeks outta High School in 1984 til 1988.  Was in Ft. Jackson and Ft. Gordon for training, then off to Baumholder, Germany for the remainder of my time....44th Ordnance....was Commo surrounded by a buncha bee bee humpers....

mtncop73

• Senior CVO Member
  • Without the wind in my face I woulda gone crazy
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2007, 11:48:11 AM »

Did my 4yrs in the Army, 2 weeks outta High School in 1984 til 1988.  Was in Ft. Jackson and Ft. Gordon for training, then off to Baumholder, Germany for the remainder of my time....44th Ordnance....was Commo surrounded by a buncha bee bee humpers....

Sounds like you and I were in Germany at the same time. I was at Pinder Barracks from 1984 to 1985. Pinder is outside of Nurnburg, in the small town of Zirndorf.

I had a great time in Germany. (I think [smiley=drink.gif])
Rick
It's not how a man dies that makes him a hero, It's how he lives.

dereck

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHXSE2.ORG

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Black Diamond
    • CVO2: sold FLHRSE3 Black Ice
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2007, 01:31:24 PM »

Wow, what a great response.

I appologize to the merchant marines out there, I just did a search for uniformed services and listed everything that popped up.  I knew I would miss something.

The day after I started this post I got called home to Kansas City for a family emergency.  Another sacrafice that often goes un-noticed but most of you can relate to, being hundreds or thousands of miles away from family when they really need you to be there.

The sacrafices of the spouces, family, and friends of those who serve is also very great.  They are all heroes in my mind.  But I'm lucky this time.  After missing the birth of my daughter, anniversaries, family weddings, birthdays, holidays, ... I was lucky enough to be stateside and timing allowed me to get away from the unit to get home and be supportive.

"Life is short, enjoy EVERY day!"  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2007, 03:25:07 PM »

Was declared 4f during the Nam era due to my hearing loss Tried to enlist in the Navy and made it as far as the last thing they give you for the physical - - a hearing test. Went to work in the Merchant Marine as a deck hand on an oil tanker that delivered fuel to military bases on the east coast of the US. Ended up some years later working for a company that builds US Navy warships. Now my office is onbase NAVSTA San Diego. I arrive at work at about 0530 ever morning. If there is not a lot of traffic, I always take the time to say " thank you for your service" in response to their " welcome to Navy Station San Diego" In my job, I communicate with the dept heads of the ship's I'm responsible for (10 DDG-51 Class Destroyers and 6 FFG-7 Class Frigates) I always thank whomever I'm dealing with for their service to their country. In short, every working day of my life I take a moment to thank those who do what I was not allowed to - - - serve my country. It's a small price to pay for their sacrifice and one I gladly make. I may not always agree with this country's leaders, but there is never a moment when I don't support and respect it's guardians.

B B

Me...  20+ USAF Spec Ops...  Floundered for a while on retirement (sudden disinvolvement syndrome with major dysfunctionality) and now I work full time as a County Veterans Service Officer taking care of Vets full time...  I just did my thing and enjoyed it all in retrospect...

You...  stood up taller than most and really worked at it.  Thank you.

2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

rbmntx

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2007, 05:39:02 PM »

4 yrs, 4 days and 4 hours in the USAF, 1964 to 1968.  Final year of service in Viet Nam where I logged over 1300 hours of combat flight in 12 months on that great fighting machine the ec-121R Super Constellation
some days you gets da bear, other days da bear gets you...

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2007, 08:25:58 PM »

what a great thread!  USArmy....3yrs....'66-'69.  Ft.Bragg, Ft.Ord,   Benning's School for Boys..Ft.Bragg...RVN....built my '47 knucklehead while at Ft.Bragg the last time.  Beginning of my 'extended therapy'.  [smiley=mad.gif] har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2007, 09:16:52 PM »

Was declared 4f during the Nam era due to my hearing loss Tried to enlist in the Navy and made it as far as the last thing they give you for the physical - - a hearing test. Went to work in the Merchant Marine as a deck hand on an oil tanker that delivered fuel to military bases on the east coast of the US. Ended up some years later working for a company that builds US Navy warships. Now my office is onbase NAVSTA San Diego. I arrive at work at about 0530 ever morning. If there is not a lot of traffic, I always take the time to say " thank you for your service" in response to their " welcome to Navy Station San Diego" In my job, I communicate with the dept heads of the ship's I'm responsible for (10 DDG-51 Class Destroyers and 6 FFG-7 Class Frigates) I always thank whomever I'm dealing with for their service to their country. In short, every working day of my life I take a moment to thank those who do what I was not allowed to - - - serve my country. It's a small price to pay for their sacrifice and one I gladly make. I may not always agree with this country's leaders, but there is never a moment when I don't support and respect it's guardians.

B B

Spidey,
Thank you for your support and YOUR SERVICE!  We're both Sailors and I can attest to anyone that sailing an oiler is REAL sea duty, Shipmate!  
TC

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2007, 10:46:04 PM »

Thanks to all for the kind words on this subject, but as much as I worked my ass off 18 hrs a day while onboad ship, I got paid extremely well and did not go in harms way. I had my own stateroom and shared a head with one other guy. The cook would buy whatever you asked him to for food so I lived on steak and shrimp. I cannot look back on those days as service to my country. What I do now feels more like it in that I ensure that the ship's I am responsible for do not go in harms way without being 100% ready. Still it is not and could never be the same as putting yourself in postion to make the ultimate sacrifice for your country. While many people serve in the military and do not ever go in harm's way, they enlist ( or were drafted in our day) knowing that could be asked of them. I would never belittle that by remotely comparing anything I've done to that.

B B
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 10:47:31 PM by SPIDERMAN »

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2007, 03:32:16 PM »

Sounds like you and I were in Germany at the same time. I was at Pinder Barracks from 1984 to 1985. Pinder is outside of Nurnburg, in the small town of Zirndorf.

I had a great time in Germany. (I think [smiley=drink.gif])
Rick

Sure were, I was in Nurnburg a few times over the years there.  Went out for a race once, spent more time lookin at the cars parked on the way to the track than I did watchin the race.  ::)

HDguy

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: service in the military, local, or federal gov't
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2007, 04:37:22 AM »

4 years active US Navy 1975-1979. Worked on S3a antisubmarine A/C. Assigned to VS-28 squadron out of cecil field fla. Served on the USS America, Saratoga and the Independence.
2006 flhtcuse,V@H true duals with classic slash cut mufflers with end caps, slotted six spoke drive sprocket,fuelpak tuner,nav sys,stage 1 intake,chrome inner primary,SE six speed trans,chrome intake backplate.
2005 flstsci,aux lights,se mufflers,sta

Bagger

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2007, 06:41:15 AM »

Got a couple shots out of the history books.  This one is a picture of your's truly just shy of three years ago when I was finishing up the Aviation Warrant Officer Advanced Course and Ft. Rucker, AL.  Makes me wonder what happen to me..........can't believe i used to be that skinny and young.  ;D

Bagger

« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2007, 06:49:43 AM »

My return to Ft. Rucker in March 2004 was the first time I'd been there since I attended and finished Warrant Officer Candidate School and the Aviation Maintenance Manager's Course from November 1996 until March 1997.  So I just had to go to the Warrant Officer Candidate Museum and see if I could find the sign our class made.  Each class going through WOCS makes a sign and displays it in front of their assigned building.  It is a ritualistic process, and it becomes a source of pride for the class.  Anyway, I expected to find our's in the PT barn down on Guthrie Airfield.  Lo' and behold, just as soon as you turn the corner to go upstairs in the museum........there it is.  Pretty proud of that sign.   

mtncop73

• Senior CVO Member
  • Without the wind in my face I woulda gone crazy
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2007, 11:55:34 AM »

Sure were, I was in Nurnburg a few times over the years there.  Went out for a race once, spent more time lookin at the cars parked on the way to the track than I did watchin the race.  ::)

The cars were incredible!!! I had a Triumph Spitfire that had been passed through who knows how many servicemen before it found me. At my size it was like strapping a car on my back :D I had to stand on the seat and "fall" into the driving position. Getting out was a whole different matter ???

Here is a pic of me in Germany sometime in 1984...so young and stupid....what a blast! :drink:

I am the guy on the right. The guy next to me, Matt, is still my best friend after 20+ years. He lives in the town next to me, about 7 miles away. Friends like that are hard to find.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 11:57:19 AM by mtncop73 »
It's not how a man dies that makes him a hero, It's how he lives.

Bagger

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2007, 12:59:50 PM »

The cars were incredible!!! I had a Triumph Spitfire that had been passed through who knows how many servicemen before it found me. At my size it was like strapping a car on my back :D I had to stand on the seat and "fall" into the driving position. Getting out was a whole different matter ???

Here is a pic of me in Germany sometime in 1984...so young and stupid....what a blast! :drink:

I am the guy on the right. The guy next to me, Matt, is still my best friend after 20+ years. He lives in the town next to me, about 7 miles away. Friends like that are hard to find.

That "thing" in your left hand..........haven't seen one of those in eons. 8)  I am getting old!  Oh, and the M151s behind you guys, WOW!  Those were the days.

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2007, 06:13:09 PM »

USMC: 1972-1976
US Army Army Special Forces: 1978-1997
Department of the Air Force Civilian: 1997-2000 and 2001-2004
Department of the Army Civilian: 2004 - Present
Volunteer Rescue Squad EMT: 1997-2000
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 20 queries.