Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10  All

Author Topic: Harley workers to go on strike  (Read 15683 times)

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
Re: Harley workers to go on strike
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2007, 01:17:03 PM »

One important difference there is that Caterpillar (or GM or many other large manufacturing companies) actually have alternative and in many case redundant production sites.  While Harley is certainly a big company it really doesn't have a '"spare" York facility laying around that could even relativly quickly be spooled up to replace all that is done there.

True....

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2007, 02:33:45 PM »

Definitely man, most definitely.  Separate from any considerations of the impact on company or employees those people that had bikes ordered have to be curled up in a fetal postion right now. At least for awhile there will be stock at dealerships that people can walk in and buy if they are so inclined.  It's a good bet that any possible or potential negotiations on price or free services are out the window (at least for awhile). But there will be inventory to be purchased.

Bikes specially ordered are going to be the real killer though.  CVOs or firefighter models or Shriner's models (for example); those guys are just stuck.  If Harley moves to ramp up production a bit after the strike ends you know it will quite rightly put primary production ahead of specialty production too.  So even though firefighter bikes and those other specialty models are produced on the regular assembly line and would almost certainly be added back in to the normal production mix it is easy to envision CVO producton being suspended for awhile.  Those folks that have SERKs and SEUCs and the Springers already better count your blessings; because your belated brethren might be waiting a long time.  They could potentially not get any more 07 CVOs at all.

Man, you guys are killing me here :o   Mine is due in mid March, but now, who the he** knows if it will even get built :nixweiss:

Bubba...HELP ;D
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2007, 02:42:12 PM »

Probably I've an angel on my shoulders. :angel:

Previously, my delivery date on my order was April 07.  :sweatdrop:
Three days ago, my dealer says my that my Jester R/B is started from the States the January 9th.
The new previous delivery date is the second part of February.  :cool26:

:vrolijk_26: Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2007, 03:10:27 PM »

Three days ago, my dealer says my that my Jester R/B is started from the States the January 9th.

Great news Jacques.  The bike is on it's way.   ;)

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2007, 05:06:22 PM »

Ok, here's some first hand insight to Unions.

1. The only power (in this case) the Union has is the right to strike. And now they've played their hand.
2. The Company has no obligation to meet any Union Demand. They solely must bargain in good faith at this point.
3. For the Union workers things could get better, get worse or stay the same.
4. Since they choose to strike at this point they have nothing........everything is once again negotiable.
5. The MOCO could hire replacement workers if they choose.
6. Replacement workers can be retained after a strike at the expense of the lowest seniority members.
7. If replacement workers are hired the strike could end but some strikers could be left without a job indefinitely.
8. If/when the negotiations reach an impass then the company simply enforces their final offer from the bargaining table.
9. Those who return to work at that point have a job. Those who choose not to report can be permanently terminated.
10. At this point the workers not only lost their pay.....but also forfeited were health insurance, retirement contributions,vacation pay,etc.

For additional information you can visit: www.unionfacts.com

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2007, 07:40:58 PM »

Man, you guys are killing me here :o   Mine is due in mid March, but now, who the he** knows if it will even get built :nixweiss:

Bubba...HELP ;D

JOHN I FEEL YOUR PAIN OLE BUDDY ..ILL KEEP YOU UP TO DATE AND WE JUST NEED TO KEEP OUR FINGERS CROSSED THAT YOUR WILL GET TO US ..

BUBBA
" Why Johnny Ringo ...you look like somone just ..walked across your grave"

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2007, 07:43:09 PM »

Both dealers here, owned by the same guy, have the floor FULL of bikes.  They even have four CVO's between them...a Dyna, Springer, Red SEUC, and a new Melon leftover from late last year.  They also have a bunch in crates in the warehouse.  They're probably set through March, then they'll be running short of certain models.  If this things runs through April or May, prices could be all over the board, and I don't see them ever catching up on the CVO production if it lasts that long.
Okay. I'm really feeling bad for me (and all the other folks out there waiting for their CVOs.  So I'll bite - anyone know where there's a B&O SEUC out there that's not spoken for and is still "reasonable"...?   :-\  and hey Bubba - I feel your pain man!
TC

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2007, 08:01:09 PM »

Okay. I'm really feeling bad for me (and all the other folks out there waiting for their CVOs.  So I'll bite - anyone know where there's a B&O SEUC out there that's not spoken for and is still "reasonable"...?   :-\  and hey Bubba - I feel your pain man!
TC
The longer the strike goes on of course the less "reasonable" the prices will be.  Heck if I were a dealer and had any CVOs I'd want top dollar knowing that there might not be any more for a while.  Guess we'll know pretty soon just how bad this thing might get.  I feel for all you guys waiting on your bikes.  This sucks big time.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2007, 09:28:16 PM »

Damn Jacques, you really are one lucky sonofabiker.  Everyone seems to have been running roughly on time lately.  And you happen to be three months early at the same time the strike stops everyone else in the pipeline.  Tithe to the road gods my friend because they were looking out for you  :2vrolijk_21: .

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2007, 09:31:38 PM »

I know of a few thousand guys that would take the deal the MoCo had on the table....Fellow Michiganders - FORMER - Auto workers whose union priced them out of jobs right here in my neck of the woods. They would jump at the chance to live in the lower cost of living area of York, PA over a quite pricey metro Detroit, MI for a 40k + a year gig with relatively low skills. Of course they would jump at that chance now that their Union helped destroy the Big 3 over the last 30 years. Growing up and living in Michigan I have heard it all my life, with my dad going from Union worker to management as he put himself through college via night classes while I was a child. When I was in high school he worked at the Detroit Tank plant owned by Chrysler, when they struck dad drove my car to work. Hey, I got a new hood and windows out of the deal after he crossed the picket line!  I am tired of my Union family buddies around here talkin pro Union and how GM or Ford wouldn't or couldn't make it without the almighty Union workers. Non-union plants down south seem to be doing a pretty good job for Japanese automakers using USA workers, building quality cars - sounds like the Union gets in the way of successfull US automakers and US workers - working together. BMW's in SC - the most reliable BMW (Z series) supposedly. Honda Goldwing made in USA, don't have one yet but probably will someday, quite a machine and cheaper than my CVO, But I love my country and my CVO. The biggest problem I think is Monopolies - like the UAW or US Government, that I fear. Unlike GM, Delphi, Ford and the like here in Michigan, Harley is a healthy company to begin with - the Union might feel this means they are ripe to be squeezed, and they think us - the customers, would be pissed at Harley if they played hardball and pushed the union guys out.

If the York jobs were opened up right now to anybody, union or not, under the terms of the last contract offer by HD - - - how long would it take them to be filled??

My guess would be two weeks, and watch out for the U-haul caravans from Michigan to York, PA.

If this happened, would you, the HD customer, be less likely to buy another HD?

might make a good poll question.....
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2007, 09:37:46 PM »

TC
TC,
Definitely feel your pain shipmate.  Guess you should have snapped up that one at Richmond.  But I truly understand why you didn't. Hopefully, this won't last very long, and you'll get your Jester on time.
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2007, 09:53:55 PM »

Harley is to meet with union reps and a federal mediator tuesday Feb 6.
Hopefully this thing will be over quick.
I had the chance to buy a Blue one Sat at MRSP from Smokey Mtn Hd.
I now regret I did`t bring it home.
David B

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2007, 01:16:36 AM »

JOHN I FEEL YOUR PAIN OLE BUDDY ..ILL KEEP YOU UP TO DATE AND WE JUST NEED TO KEEP OUR FINGERS CROSSED THAT YOUR WILL GET TO US ..

BUBBA

Thanks Bubba,

Not much we can do except hope this thing blows by pretty quick.   It was good to meet your fine staff of folk at the store.  Thanks for keeping me in the loop.

John :2vrolijk_21:
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2007, 01:29:47 AM »

TC

There was one at Knoxville Hd last week. Call and ask for Jimmy D.

Dave

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2007, 10:05:20 AM »

I know of a few thousand guys that would take the deal the MoCo had on the table....Fellow Michiganders - FORMER - Auto workers whose union priced them out of jobs right here in my neck of the woods. They would jump at the chance to live in the lower cost of living area of York, PA over a quite pricey metro Detroit, MI for a 40k + a year gig with relatively low skills. Of course they would jump at that chance now that their Union helped destroy the Big 3 over the last 30 years. Growing up and living in Michigan I have heard it all my life, with my dad going from Union worker to management as he put himself through college via night classes while I was a child. When I was in high school he worked at the Detroit Tank plant owned by Chrysler, when they struck dad drove my car to work. Hey, I got a new hood and windows out of the deal after he crossed the picket line!  I am tired of my Union family buddies around here talkin pro Union and how GM or Ford wouldn't or couldn't make it without the almighty Union workers. Non-union plants down south seem to be doing a pretty good job for Japanese automakers using USA workers, building quality cars - sounds like the Union gets in the way of successfull US automakers and US workers - working together. BMW's in SC - the most reliable BMW (Z series) supposedly. Honda Goldwing made in USA, don't have one yet but probably will someday, quite a machine and cheaper than my CVO, But I love my country and my CVO. The biggest problem I think is Monopolies - like the UAW or US Government, that I fear. Unlike GM, Delphi, Ford and the like here in Michigan, Harley is a healthy company to begin with - the Union might feel this means they are ripe to be squeezed, and they think us - the customers, would be pissed at Harley if they played hardball and pushed the union guys out.

If the York jobs were opened up right now to anybody, union or not, under the terms of the last contract offer by HD - - - how long would it take them to be filled??

My guess would be two weeks, and watch out for the U-haul caravans from Michigan to York, PA.

If this happened, would you, the HD customer, be less likely to buy another HD?

might make a good poll question.....

HERE HERE ..very good post !! The union now days wont do much more then break a company and send them to China ...times are changing .... union members need to realize they are "employee's" NOT partners and all they have invested is their time!

Bubba
" Why Johnny Ringo ...you look like somone just ..walked across your grave"
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 21 queries.