Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newer Wheel to Older Bike Retrofit Bearing Solution -- Just in Case Ever Needed  (Read 673 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

Had been wanting to put an 18" wheel on the front of the old 2000 Road Glide for awhile now.  It's had for quite a long time 16" chromed versions of the FLHX wheels.  It's not fancy but it's a look I quite like.  Then recently got a chance to score an 18" version of the same wheel cheap so took advantage.  Of course there was a glitch.

I'd not put one of the newer 25mm vintage wheels on an older bike but thought I remembered reading that the bearing thickness was different.  So was expecting to have to figure something out as it went back together.

The 3/4", 1" and 25mm bearings are all the same 52mm OD.  So just pressing them in to any wheel won't be an issue.  The standard 1" bearing goes in the right side of the newer wheel with no problem.  The problem is on the left side.  And it makes sense when you think about what's going on there.

Narrower bearing is in that side to accommodate the ABS spacer when using the bearings with the encoder.  So obviously there's going to be some difference.  A standard 1" bearing pressed in that side ends up proud of the wheel rather than recessed to accept the spacer.  So it's an obvious no-go.

First easy solution for off the shelf parts will be 25mm axle, wheel bearing kit with the inner bearing sleeve and new wheel spacers.  But that's more parts and it's more expensive than it needed to be.  Surely there's a bearing.

Dug out the bearing catalog and found one.  So if anyone is ever doing this just get a bearing # 6205-2rs-1 .    Without the "1" on the end that's a standard 25mm bearing.  The "1" variant is a 25.4mm or 1" bearing.  Correct OD.  Good load rating on a sealed radial bearing and the 15mm thickness needed to go in the wheel and let everything else work.

I grabbed the one that was in stock at the local bearing shop then ordered three more even cheaper online.  Since it won't be a standard stocking item at anyplace might break down on the rode will have one in the parts cabinet with all my other bits and two in baggies in with the other road goodies in the bottom of saddlebag.

So with that you can use a newer wheel intended for ABS components and still use your 1" axle, 1" spacer inside the wheel and the original 1" spacers outboard of the wheel.  An $10 bearing from the local bearing shop is a much better alternative than $175 worth of replacement 25mm flush mount axle kits and HD wheel bearings and all the inner and outboard spacers.

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 20 queries.