Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Working with a K & N filter maintenance  (Read 1557 times)

Richyunker

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE
Working with a K & N filter maintenance
« on: March 09, 2016, 09:17:29 PM »

Doing filter maintenance, cleaned the filter with the cleaner went smooth and the filter is clean, but the question lies in how long do I leave it to dry before I apply the oil spray?

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
Re: Working with a K & N filter maintenance
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 09:24:13 PM »

I leave mine sit overnight, don't know if there's a standard rule. It just needs to be dry.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 08:48:01 AM »

^^^ What he said.  I normally do this as part of the "put the bike down for the winter" maintenance, so I'm not in a rush to get the filter back on the bike.  I clean and rinse thoroughly, then place the filter where it has good air flow all around over a drip pan and let it sit over night.  If you need to accelerate drying and can't wait, you can use a low pressure stream of air (never use high pressure air) from a fan or hair dryer.

If this is your first time oiling a K&N, I think most of us tend to over oil them until we get the hang of it.  Follow the directions, lightly apply oil to each pleat, let the filter sit for a short time and look for an even distribution of the red oil.  Any spots you missed will be pretty obvious.  If you go overboard, let the filter sit for a day or two to let the excess run either to the inner or outer end and then blot the excess with a paper towel or similar disposable product.  Installing it with excessive oil will result in that excessive oil dripping into the cover or being sucked into the intake.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Richyunker

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »

Overnight worked well as far as the water drying out. Next up I understand it is easy to over oil. I used the aerosol type, just misted it very little, unlike what the direction say. A day later, no oil drained off the filter. I had it sitting on paper towels for a day.

I believe i had success.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 07:29:44 PM »

Just make sure you got enough oil, since it's the suspended oil that actually filters the air.  Look closely under a good light and touch up any light spots.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 01:41:21 AM »

Actually, I switched from the aerosol spray to the squeeze bottle. I find it's more accurate, and for me, it's easier to not overdo it.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 08:29:43 AM »

Actually, I switched from the aerosol spray to the squeeze bottle. I find it's more accurate, and for me, it's easier to not overdo it.

:2vrolijk_21:

Kind of like the difference between painting something with a brush versus a rattle can.  Personally, even though I know better I often overdo it with the spray, just like I do when using a rattle can of paint.

Jerry

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 20 queries.