Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: J&M Shorty Antennas and Techmount w/Zumo 550  (Read 21763 times)

Buffalo Phil

• Capital of Belgium Chapter
Re: J&M Shorty Antennas and Techmount w/Zumo 550
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2007, 03:42:54 AM »

Phil...one other option is to just get a cigarette plug and wire the power supply up to that so it is easily removed.  Of course, the Zumo would need to be on the left side of the bars, then you just run the stereo output through the lower inner fairing holes (same as the bars...fish it through with a coathanger if you don't want to pull the outer fairing off, and plug it in to the Aux in on the HK radio.  This way, when you remove the Zumo, you don't have a hot connection dangling there to blow a fuse.  If you keep the Zumo on all the time, this would not be an issue, of course.

Yes, I know this way of working. I used it with my former Quest. Very easy when I rent a Ultra in Glendale, CA during a trip on the West Coast.
It is really plug and play.
The problem is that it is not really neath.
I'd rather prefer not having the wires visible on my bike (always the look  8))

So, if anyone could send me some pics of the way to plug, it would help a lot.

Phil

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2007, 11:53:36 AM »

Yes, I know this way of working. I used it with my former Quest. Very easy when I rent a Ultra in Glendale, CA during a trip on the West Coast.
It is really plug and play.
The problem is that it is not really neath.
I'd rather prefer not having the wires visible on my bike (always the look  8))

So, if anyone could send me some pics of the way to plug, it would help a lot.

Phil

Phil...It will be very difficult for you to have absolutely no wires showing at all for the install of a handlebar mounted GPS, IMO.  while you CAN run the wiring inside the handlebars, it would be a MAJOR pain in the butt, and you'd still end up with an end sticking out of the bars near the GPS mount.  About the most tidy way to do it is to mount the unit on the left bar, then run both the Stereo Patch cord and the power supply along the Clutch Line.  Then route the power supply to the back side of the cigarette lighter, and the 3.5mm patch cord under the radio, then out the handlebar hole on the right side to plug into the Aux in on the HK...unless you want to install an additional Aux in for the back of the radio where the wire will be hidden.  Hardly a way to get around a bit of wire being exposed somewhere though.

This is just my opinion:  Mounting the unit on the left side makes more sense to me.  The reason is that if you are stopped at a light, you are typically holding the bike with the front brake, and can always shift the bike into neutral to free up your left hand to mess around with the GPS if needed, leaving both feet on the ground.  Same thing going down the road...you'd either have to reach across your body to make changes on the Zumo, or put the bike on cruise to free up your right hand.  I just don't like the idea of not having my right hand on the bar, fiddling about with the GPS, and reaching across my body with the left hand seems a bit awkward to me.  To each his/her own though...and whatever is comfortable.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Buffalo Phil

« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2007, 12:44:11 PM »

Terry,

I fully agree with your way to mount the stuff.

And I read your detailed accessory explanation in that other post http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=9524.msg176127#msg176127

Since I have adopted this method for a while (cigarette lighter) I found it was not easy because the wire is too long, there is a fuse on it and finally you have to plug that wire to a cigarette lighter. After that you need to protect this kind of boa snake against the rain (and believe me, it often rains here).

See the picture here under.

I'd like to see a picture (detailed?) of your work. Would it be possible?

Thanks for all your time explaining again and again....

Phil

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2007, 01:13:33 PM »

Terry,

I fully agree with your way to mount the stuff.

And I read your detailed accessory explanation in that other post http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=9524.msg176127#msg176127

Since I have adopted this method for a while (cigarette lighter) I found it was not easy because the wire is too long, there is a fuse on it and finally you have to plug that wire to a cigarette lighter. After that you need to protect this kind of boa snake against the rain (and believe me, it often rains here).

See the picture here under.

I'd like to see a picture (detailed?) of your work. Would it be possible?

Thanks for all your time explaining again and again....

Phil

Phil...I'm not sure what's available in your part of the world, but I went to the local Radio Shack and picked up a cigarette lighter adapter plug for a few bucks that has the small blade type fuse built in, as well as a little green LED to let you know it has power on it. A Marine Supply store will usually have this type of plug as well.  I then cut the wire to the length (measure twice, cut once  ;) )I wanted it to be, so that is reaches easily to the lighter socket, but does not dangle or get in the way...the whole thing is maybe a 12-18" long, and follows the bar left side of the bar rather well. Where the wire entered the little plug I bought, I just put a bit of black silicone, to make it a bit more waterproof.  The socket is tucked under the inner fairing well, so gets little moisture, even when raining. You do need to get a 1 AMP fuse for the plug though, as most of them come with a 5-10 Amp installed.  I find this very convenient, as I can remove the GPS from the bike at night when I'm on trips, pull the power cord out of the socket, and stow the cord in the glove box in the lowers.  Some of the plugs have the in-line fuse (like the old car fuses)...that will also work well...just get the shortest plug you can find so it won't interfere with the left side of the tank when the forks are turned all the way to the fork locking position.

With what you have pictured there, you could tie into the back of the cigarette lighter socket without any problem, but the fuse holder would probably end up inside the fairing, which could be a pain in the rear if it ever blew.  Another option, if your wire is long enough, is to tie into the Accessory plug which is available just under the front of the seat, in front of the battery (it is part of the wiring harness), then run the wire under the tank panel, into the fairing, then out to the GPS through the Clutch Line hole.  This circuit would then be dependent on the ignition being on, in addition to the Acc switch being turned on.  There are other options as well, but the cig lighter is by far the simpler solution.  I don't mean to confuse the issue for you, but just want to give you options to choose from.

I will try and get a photo for you tonight... :2vrolijk_21:

TTS Mastertune

Buffalo Phil

« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2007, 09:52:20 AM »

Hi Terry,

Here I am again, with another (stupid  ;)) question.

I think I will opt for your mounting solution. So I will have to cut (after measuring twice  8)) the cable and mount a cigar lighter (I found already a shop in the neighborhood where I can find one).

My question : what is the fuse that you put in the cig-lighter? Is it a 2A? Because the car plug I want to buy has a 3A fuse, the Garmin Car Cradle has a 2A fuse and the Bike Cradle a 1A fuse  :nixweiss: What a mess...

Thanks,

Phil

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2007, 11:36:01 AM »

Hi Terry,

Here I am again, with another (stupid  ;)) question.

I think I will opt for your mounting solution. So I will have to cut (after measuring twice  8)) the cable and mount a cigar lighter (I found already a shop in the neighborhood where I can find one).

My question : what is the fuse that you put in the cig-lighter? Is it a 2A? Because the car plug I want to buy has a 3A fuse, the Garmin Car Cradle has a 2A fuse and the Bike Cradle a 1A fuse  :nixweiss: What a mess...

Thanks,

Phil

That's the ticket!!  :2vrolijk_21: The Garmin plug for the auto is a 2 amp in mine as well (Garmin model 2820), so I went with a 2 amp in the plug on the bike as well. If you can find a 1 amp, use it, but if not, the 2 will work fine since that's what Garmin puts in the auto version of the cord you are making up. You should be able to get the fuse either at the store where you bought the plug, or any automotive store.  Do you guys have stores for discount auto parts?  One of those type places should have it.  I cut my cord so that it is just long enough to reach the back of the unit and have a bit of slack (about 2 or 3 inches) when it's all plugged in.  The cord sort of follows the handlebar down nicely without being at all in the way or doing any flopping around when riding.  Hope it works out well for you, Phil.  Do you have the 3.5mm Stereo Patch Cord to plug into the Aux in on the HK radio?  I have a source for those as well, and they have the 90 degree ends, which make it a bit neater.

TTS Mastertune

Buffalo Phil

« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2007, 11:26:46 AM »

This is to tell you that I just received my J&B Antennas right now from USPS and they are already mounted.

I checked with the radio and everything works perfectly.

Thanks to all of you for the informations about this product.

I guess my friends here will be the next buyers for this shorties.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2007, 09:37:52 PM »

Spoke to the wife & my J & M's arrrived today also, but since I am in Panama, it will be tomorrow before they are installed.  Several sets of friends with Ultras are more than interested in this product - if it performs as promised, J & M will be getting quite a few more orders.

In about 10 years, Harley might offer their own shorty version, but they will be $89 each and require a new mounting bracket, new cable, and of course the radio will require a $150 sofware upgrade as well...... <sarc>
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2007, 10:09:58 PM »

Spoke to the wife & my J & M's arrrived today also, but since I am in Panama, it will be tomorrow before they are installed.  Several sets of friends with Ultras are more than interested in this product - if it performs as promised, J & M will be getting quite a few more orders.

In about 10 years, Harley might offer their own shorty version, but they will be $89 each and require a new mounting bracket, new cable, and of course the radio will require a $150 sofware upgrade as well...... <sarc>
Iski,
I've had the J&M's on my bike for over a month now, and they do, IMO, perform better than any antennas I've ever had on my bikes.  You won't be disappointed with them.  Go to this thread http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=9822.0 and read up on the results that some of us got when we did SWR checks on them, and also all the positive comments on how much better the radios seem to work...
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
Red
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 10:12:14 PM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2007, 11:33:27 PM »

Iski,
I've had the J&M's on my bike for over a month now, and they do, IMO, perform better than any antennas I've ever had on my bikes.  You won't be disappointed with them.  Go to this thread http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=9822.0 and read up on the results that some of us got when we did SWR checks on them, and also all the positive comments on how much better the radios seem to work...
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
Red

Thanks Red.  I printed off some of the topic responses to show to our riding group skeptic as well as a CB guy who knows CBs, and he seemed, well, skeptical.  So when they work as expected, I won't gloat. 

Although there is no universal agreement here on some topics, the antenna responses were all positive on J & M.  I have learned from past experience that Harley riders steer people toward stuff that works and away from stuff that does not.  Your comments on the J & Ms, among others, are why I ordered them.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2007, 12:36:14 PM »

Installed the J & M antennas and rode approx. 500 miles with them over the past few days.  FM/AM reception is about the same.  CB trans/reception is maybe a little weaker, but not enough to matter.  Close enough to stock antennas, anyway.

I will try to figure out the tuning on them later on - very satisfied with them for now.

No more garage door slappages.

bobaroni

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 1999 Dyna LowRider
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2007, 10:57:34 AM »

Ordered the J&M antenna set today. Guy at dealership told me I could just cut the factory whips down to 21 inches. If it was that easy I'd have read it here. I don't want to apply the "Red Green" approach to upgrades. No offense intended- I love the show.
Can't say enough great things about this site. As a late CVO bloomer (May '07) I feel it was well worth the $38K admission price to join this OCD club. Not only is the info PRICELESS, but I always get the bonus of busting out laughing at members humor like iski's comment here.     

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2007, 11:10:46 AM »

Ordered the J&M antenna set today. Guy at dealership told me I could just cut the factory whips down to 21 inches. If it was that easy I'd have read it here. I don't want to apply the "Red Green" approach to upgrades. No offense intended- I love the show.
Can't say enough great things about this site. As a late CVO bloomer (May '07) I feel it was well worth the $38K admission price to join this OCD club. Not only is the info PRICELESS, but I always get the bonus of busting out laughing at members humor like iski's comment here.     

Aw shucks, thanks, bobaroni.  After a few years of HD ownership the little quirks that cost over $100 to mount something that should cost $10 create the comment like that one.   ;D

You will like the J & M's.  The skeptics I ride with say nothing now since I can talk/receive at the same distances that they can - with tuned full length whips.  Some cut the whips down but your reception will not be as good from what I have heard. 

I have had my CVO since Feb. 07.  This site is the most informative/fun message board I have ever seen that offers excellent advice on all matters HD. I have the credit card bills to prove it....  :huepfenjump3:

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2008, 12:54:09 PM »

I just installed the J & M shorty antennas on my bike.  I probably won't get a chance to see how well they work for a couple of months, but I do have one question.  Goldwing antennas have a threaded joint that you can put the antenna in a folded down position so you can use a cover.  I like the idea of the shorty antennas, but why don't they make a similar doo-dad for these antennas?  Does anyone know if it's possible to attach something like this?  Otherwise, unless you have a cover with a slot in the back you won't be able to use a cover.  (-I'm talking about a rain cover.) 
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2008, 12:59:32 PM »

I just installed the J & M shorty antennas on my bike.  I probably won't get a chance to see how well they work for a couple of months, but I do have one question.  Goldwing antennas have a threaded joint that you can put the antenna in a folded down position so you can use a cover.  I like the idea of the shorty antennas, but why don't they make a similar doo-dad for these antennas?  Does anyone know if it's possible to attach something like this?  Otherwise, unless you have a cover with a slot in the back you won't be able to use a cover.  (-I'm talking about a rain cover.) 

Steve...I use an Exigent (sp?) rain cover when on the road, and it has no slots for the antennas.  The J&M's will flex forward enough for me to get the cover on, allowing the two antennas to rest against the TP.  I've got an 06 with the leather TP, so that may make some difference, but so far, so good.

TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 25 queries.