Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: rear Shocks  (Read 5579 times)

how2

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
rear Shocks
« on: March 17, 2016, 07:59:46 PM »

what is the best shocks for my cvo street glide 2015   help

Thanks

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
Re: rear Shocks
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 08:41:09 PM »

Ohlins for the rear will probably be the overwhelming reply. Running JRI on mine and they work well but wish I had went with Ohlins
Most great stores start with a bad decision

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 10:24:03 PM »

Wow what an open ended question. It's like picking the best seat or windshield height etc. A lot depends on factors like what are your intended use and riding style? What is you load weight most of the time (one up or ride with a passenger most of the time?). Is ride height a concern? Then what is your budget?

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 07:58:27 AM »

Ohlin's in my option are the best.  I have had several other name brands. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 10:33:35 PM »

My preference is Works Shocks due to their reputation in the competition area, their shocks are custom made for you and your riding style(s), plus they are rebuildable unlike some shocks.

Of course it depends what you are looking for; I ride 2 up 95% of the time, I like the convenience of ARS with a dual rate spring for the great weight I am putting on the bike with my ability to simply switch from 2 up to solo, to aggressive by flipping a lever on each shock. The pair was a little less than $700.

I personally didn't gamble the O shocks when I read on this board $1000. shocks were leaking at 20000 miles and it cost $250. for a rebuild. Call me cheap, frugal whatever: $1250. for 18 months documented by by at least 2 members on this Board is unacceptable in my eyes if you consider the shocks actual monthly cost for the 18 month period was $69.44. Therefore, I personally question either the design with regard to Harleys and or quality control. The O shocks have been running on the Euro bike for years without mandating rebuilds at 20k.

The only time I paid for a rebuild was when the load changed by 80 lbs. and it cost me $60.per shock at 43000 miles and the shocks were not leaking (pistons, seals did their job even-though they were over loaded). 

However, whatever manufacturer you call; see what they can do for you, not what you can do for them.

Again, this is only my opinion
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 11:44:19 AM by FLTRCVO »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 10:51:10 PM »

My bikes have Bitubo in the rear.  Have ridden for at least a few hours on bikes with Works and Ohlins as well.  Honestly they're all very good and there's not a bad choice among them.  All grievously expensive for a pair of shocks.  But they'll do a great job.  One bit of advise on all that allow it, however, is to take the time necessary to get them dialed in to you.

Homer 661

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 11:23:46 PM »

Terry Cable they are custom made to you

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 05:00:58 PM »

I was going to buy Ohlins but Howard talked me into a pair of JRI.  I could never get them set for a good ride.  After many attempts with Howard, I called JRI direct.  I told them that I had them set:  When on the jack with no wheels on the ground, I have the lock ring barely with tension on the spring.  The bike still doesn't bottom out and still has a stiff ride, unless I'm loaded down with gear and two up.  I believe that JRI screwed up and sent these shocks out with springs that were much stiffer than what they thought they were.  JRI said to send the shocks in, which I haven't done yet.  I asked them to just send me a softer spring and they wouldn't do it.  I think if I had the correct spring, all would be good.  As much as these shocks cost, I would expect better customer service.  I noticed Howard doesn't promote these any longer.  I also, would not recommend going through Howard, he was no help with this situation.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 01:20:01 PM »

My bikes have Bitubo in the rear. Honestly they're all very good and there's not a bad choice among them.

I agree with Twolanerider. I have Bitubo rear shocks purchased from Traxxion Dynamics, like them well enough & they can be rebuilt. But there are other great choices available.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 01:25:28 PM »

Öhlins.

navigator

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 05:21:47 PM »

I have 12K on a set of Pro-Actions and love them. Customer service is awesome and the ride is so much better then stock. We now have four of us in my riding group running them and we all agree they are better then some of the others we have tried.
2015 CVO Roadglide (RG2)
FuelMotto 2-1-2 with E-Series, Pro-Action Rear Shocks, Ricor intimidators, Klockwreks, Carls Soft-brake, BOOM 2

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 06:58:46 PM »

I was told the the Ohlins eyes don't hold up for high mileage street machines.  That's why I went with Hyperpro.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 08:28:56 PM »

Most of my heroes run Ohlins, but I run Progressives.  Have for years.  I think they're 944 HD's.  Works for me.  Anything's better than those junk air-shocks the MOCO puts on 'em.  Those things will get you killed, IMO.  Like going hot in a curve, they'll hop.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 08:50:47 PM »

I'm a fan of the Harley Premium stuff, still ridin' fine after 27k mi. of 'Sport Touring'

Be wary, if you don't have a Rushmore bagger (or '05 SEEG) and install good shocks, it will soon become apparent how bad the front suspension is...

For any good / great suspension, the front & rear have to play well together...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 09:07:27 PM »

I'm a fan of the Harley Premium stuff, still ridin' fine after 27k mi. of 'Sport Touring'

Be wary, if you don't have a Rushmore bagger (or '05 SEEG) and install good shocks, it will soon become apparent how bad the front suspension is...

For any good / great suspension, the front & rear have to play well together...

I agree Ed. The stock front suspension and rear air shocks on my 13 Ultra were HORRIBLE!!. I changed the fronts after the first good ride I was on, went with HD Premium. After I put Bitubo's on the rear and the HD premiums front and I've been very happy.

I only have a couple hundred miles on the '14 RK with the Rushmore suspension changes, but so far I'm happy and impressed with the much improved stock offering. Suspension upgrades aren't even on my list at this time.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 20 queries.