Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: An overnighter to Death Valley and Gold Point, Nv....  (Read 6685 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
An overnighter to Death Valley and Gold Point, Nv....
« on: March 28, 2016, 03:51:31 PM »

It started with Miguel and I pulling out about 5:15 a.m. from San Diego and headed north on I-15 into the dark.  About 170 miles and 2 1/2 hrs. later we stopped for breakfast at the Roadhouse at Kramer Junction.  Dave (Wrongway) had PM'd me about an interesting auto memorobilia museum just across the tracks however, at 8:00 a.m. they weren't quite open for business just yet but we stopped for our first photo.

US 395....headed north from Kramer Junction...

A quick gas stop in Olancha and now headed towards Panament Springs...

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Re: An overnighter to Death Valley and Gold Point, Nv....
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 03:52:59 PM »

We start at 4,000 ft. elevation however, shortly we will be 200 ft. below sea level.....  :o

A brief rest stop at Panament Springs...time to hydrate

I've rode through Death Valley many times over the years however, this is the first time I've saw everything green.  And, being early spring, the wildflowers were everywhere....

Rhyolite was our first ghost town to visit.  Named after the mineral that's mined here.  It was quite the boom town in it's day....then it went bust....

and a "before and after" photo.....

The Bottle House.  This house is made entirely out of bottles.  I'm assuming wine bottles... :nixweiss:

The builder made many smaller houses out of broken pieces of colored bottles....

J

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 03:54:19 PM »

Just outside of Death Valley and just across the Nevada state line is Beatty, Nev.

The Happy Burro is a regular stop when in this area.  Panhead Jimmy, when you stop in this coming weekend will you ask them for my glasses.  Left them on the back table on the patio while I was feeding Blue.

Saying "hey" to Blue.  This dog has the most awsome beuatiful baby blue eyes.  Very friendly but only motivated if you have food in your hand....

a cracker will get him up off the ground.....

I'm thinkin some of the members of this forum that live down there in the south might recognize these drinking glasses...

at the bar inside this happy lil' place....

A departing shot of Blue, doing what he does best.....beggin for groceries.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 03:55:38 PM »

I was riding with El Diablo so don't think I have to worry about El Toro to much.....but I did have a mule run acorss the highway in front of me.

We have arrived in Gold Point, Nevada......a "living" ghost town.  The cabin in front of our bikes is home sweet home for the night.  We've stayed here with a number of other members of this forum a few years back.  It is definately a step back in time as it's unrestored and authentic....the real deal!    :2vrolijk_21:

And finally time for dinner and a home cooked meal.  An interesting mix of guys....from winery owner from the Napa Valley to a retired railroad man, an owner of a painting company to a couple locals.....

El Diablo (Miguel)....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 03:57:03 PM »

Soon we all walk on down to the saloon...an equally interesting place....

We left about 6 a.m. yesterday.  Stopped back in Beatty, Nv. for breakfast and then made our way back down in to Death Valley towards Furnace Creek

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 03:58:03 PM »

We stopped at the old Harmony Borax Works....

We woke up to 34F in Gold Point, Nv. at 6:00 a.m. and a couple hours later down in Death Valley it's already 70F and climbing.  We would experience 94F in a couple more hours.

and if you didn't notice the notes on the columns on the right.....we're 190 ft. below sea level in Furnace Creek....

On the left side of this map you'll see the highest point in the continental US, Mt. Whitney at 14,494 feet above sea level...... and 84 miles east is the lowest point in the US at 282 feet below sea level, Death Valley. 

We paid $2.74 a gallon for premium in Beatty, Nv. and just 40 miles away in the heart of Death Valley, at Furnace Creek it's $4.43 for premium.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 08:52:55 AM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 03:59:56 PM »

Many members will know this is Baker, California when they recognize the world's tallest thermometer in the background.....

and it shows to be 84F here in Baker...

Gassed up and a bite to eat.....now we're off through the Mojave desert....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 04:00:46 PM »

Some of you will recognize this location from a number of old movies filmed along Route 66....

Out in the middle of nowhere, on a dusty, narrow two lane road we past a couple of bikes going in the opposite direction....one a 2013 orange CVO Ultra Classic (identical to mine!) pulling a blue or black trailer.  Was that somebody from this forum?  :nixweiss:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 04:01:24 PM »

Soon we made it to Joshua Tree National Park....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 04:02:02 PM »

We have arrived in Mecca.  Not sure exactly what that means.....but we've arrived!

At freeway speeds a little out of focus but these are the only pics that I got of the Salton Sea....the largest body of water in California.

Getting close to San Diego as the sun is going down, we're still rolling....

Yep, those are camels.....passing the camel dairy here.

Total round trip for the two days was 1,054 miles.....90% of it on two lane back roads.  Good weather and a great ride this Easter weekend.

West Coast GTG   

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 04:39:48 PM »

Great report, great ride"...........looked like fun.
Thanks for posting........
RIDE ON......

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 07:02:37 PM »

That was a good ride Thanks going for a  :drink: now made me dry :2vrolijk_21:

Harvey Mushman

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 07:36:58 PM »

Always good to read a JCZ ride report. Looking forward to seeing you and others on the Redwood Run.

Tom AKA Harvey
Special Thanks to JCZ for his help in routing some of my two cross county trips.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781149

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 08:05:03 PM »

Well, Well...Thanks for putting together part of my trip!  Thought I was going to have to conduct the research again but....

Most Excellent!

:2vrolijk_21:

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 11:35:07 PM »

Looks like a terrific trip guys. El Diablo going hard!!
Alan
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 26 queries.