Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Wheels/Tires for an FLH  (Read 24463 times)

SPIDERMAN

Re: Wheels/Tires for an FLH
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2007, 09:25:20 PM »

American Marine Holdings  owns Donzi

It's for sale, need room for the new 61'

61' WOW Dude That's in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen's toys in my book. I'm not that ambitious. I've always wanted an older 28 footer. One that was built when Aronow was still alive. Did you ever read up on the whole mystery surrounding his death. Anyway, since we're off topic, we might as well go with this for a bit. Donzi's have always had a certain fair to them that no other boat has. As a qualified Marine Designer, I look for certain things when I see a boat and the fair of the hull on a Donzi is like no other IMO. Every small boat Mfgr has their forte. Sea Ray has the absolute best machinery compartments. Cigarette was one of the first to go with a 23 degree step in the bow area, Fountain made their name with the power train. What's the quality and hull like on the new AH Donzi's ?  Are your running Arneson surfacing drives or Mecury Alpha units ?  I gots to know LOL

B B

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »

Here's a shot of a friend's Felix with a 19" Renegade Phoenix and matching rotors.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2007, 11:27:49 PM »

Another friend's "Nana" with the Renegade Aspen wheel...

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2007, 11:28:48 PM »

Another...

TTS Mastertune

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2007, 02:21:54 AM »

Donzi's have always had a certain fair to them that no other boat has. As a qualified Marine Designer, I look for certain things when I see a boat and the fair of the hull on a Donzi is like no other IMO. Every small boat Mfgr has their forte.  What's the quality and hull like on the new AH Donzi's ?  Are your running Arneson surfacing drives or Mecury Alpha units ?  I gots to know LOL B B

B B, didn't know you were a boatman.  I have/had a Donzi Z22, great boat, have a 16 Classic now.

Here's the Z on Lake Chelan in eastern Washington, you may go bye here on the way to Nelson.

As I recall hogasm has a ZF32 center console with outboards.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 02:31:48 AM by Rjob749 »

pj57

• Senior CVO Member
  • Can't take it with you!!!

• CVO1: 2002 SERK Candy Brandywine
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2007, 10:39:24 AM »

TCnBham - I've been running the Metz 880 160/60-18 on a 4.25" Performance Machine Wheel in the rear (140/70-18 front), with no issues with ride or wear. With 7K miles  I'd guess I've still got 40% tread left. FYI, I have ridden one-up with only an occasional passenger, so there's not much load on the bike.  I weigh 200# -Don't have a pic of the rear, but here's a shot of the 18" front PM Monaco wheel/rotors + PM 6 piston caliper on my Cherry. Rear clearancing required just a little shaving of the inboard side of the plastic belt guard and, yes, the reflector on the fork leg has since been removed - PJ
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 10:46:39 AM by pj57 »

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2007, 10:44:59 AM »

TCnBham - I've been running the Metz 880 160/60-18 on a 4.25" Performance Machine Wheel (140/70-18 front), with no issues with ride or wear. With 7K miles  I'd guess I've still got 40% tread left and have had no problems. FYI, I have ridden one-up with only an occasional passenger, so there's not much load on the bike.  I weigh 200# - Don't have a pic of the rear, but here's a shot of the 18" front PM Monaco wheel on my Cherry - PJ  p.s. rear clearancing required just a little shaving of the inboard side of the plastic belt guard

PJ...what front are you running with that rear?...if you're getting that kind of milage on the tire, that is telling me something, even if you are one-up most of the time.  If I could get 8K on a rear, I'd be happy with it.

TTS Mastertune

pj57

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2007, 10:47:39 AM »

TC - 140/70-18 Metz 880 up front.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2007, 11:08:03 AM »

TC - 140/70-18 Metz 880 up front.

Thanks, PJ...so you're running a the radial on back and a bias on front with no handling issues?  I REALLY want to go with an 18 on back, but the Metz guy scared me a bit.  It seems to me that the extra width would make up for the height with regards to air volume in the tire, plus the 160R is a 76V rating on speed, so should be a stronger tire.  Like you, I don't want a skinny tire on front, but would prefer the 3.5" wheel with the 140, as you have.

I really think that Metz will soon be coming out with some other offerings for the front in a true radial in the 18 size.

TTS Mastertune

pj57

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2007, 12:16:39 PM »

TC - I guess as many people you talk to you'll get as many opinions.  At the time I decided to go this route, I asked the Metz tech people and they indicated the radial rear/bias front was acceptable on the Harley chassis.  If my memory serves me correctly, he also indicated that I would never want to go to a radial in front, although I've seen a few bikes with a radial in the front.  I did have some wobble at high speed as many others have had, but the solution to that problem was replacing and tightening the neck bearings to proper specs.  As an alternative, you might want to consider the Avon AM41/42 which are bias ply.  I've got a set as a backup to the Metz's and they are in 150/70-18 (70 load) for the rear and 140/70-18 front (67 load). The rear is a little narrowing and taller, but not significantly so.  Somebody on this site must be running that combo - PJ

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2007, 12:21:52 PM »

TCnBham - I've been running the Metz 880 160/60-18 on a 4.25" Performance Machine Wheel in the rear (140/70-18 front), with no issues with ride or wear. With 7K miles  I'd guess I've still got 40% tread left. FYI, I have ridden one-up with only an occasional passenger, so there's not much load on the bike.  I weigh 200# -Don't have a pic of the rear, but here's a shot of the 18" front PM Monaco wheel/rotors + PM 6 piston caliper on my Cherry. Rear clearancing required just a little shaving of the inboard side of the plastic belt guard and, yes, the reflector on the fork leg has since been removed - PJ

Pete, is that the Adjure axle kit?

pj57

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2007, 12:40:05 PM »

Don - you don't miss anything, do ya' - yes, it's the adjure axle kit

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2007, 12:42:03 PM »

Don - you don't miss anything, do ya' - yes, it's the adjure axle kit

Thanks Pete.  I've got one that just arrived yesterday.  Setting on the bench next to the new legs.  Had never seen such good picture of one installed though.  Sweet  :2vrolijk_21: .

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2007, 02:40:55 PM »

B B, didn't know you were a boatman.  I have/had a Donzi Z22, great boat, have a 16 Classic now.

Here's the Z on Lake Chelan in eastern Washington, you may go bye here on the way to Nelson.

As I recall hogasm has a ZF32 center console with outboards.

Grew up on the water Rog. My family has an estate on Sebago Lake in Maine. 4 acres with 400 ft of private beach. Me and my dad built a skipjack with a 9.9 Merc when I was 12. Last boat I owned was a Celebrity 22. Never found the Donzi I wanted for sale in any kind of decent shape. Maine winters are hard on stuff if it's not stored right and every Donzi I ever looked at had been abused. Anyway, I was in the Merchant Marine and have worked for Bath Iron Works for 26 years. With the exception of a 5 year stint as a homebuilder I've been involved with boats my whole life.

hogasm

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2007, 05:27:14 PM »

61' WOW Dude That's in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen's toys in my book. I'm not that ambitious. I've always wanted an older 28 footer. One that was built when Aronow was still alive. Did you ever read up on the whole mystery surrounding his death. Anyway, since we're off topic, we might as well go with this for a bit. Donzi's have always had a certain fair to them that no other boat has. As a qualified Marine Designer, I look for certain things when I see a boat and the fair of the hull on a Donzi is like no other IMO. Every small boat Mfgr has their forte. Sea Ray has the absolute best machinery compartments. Cigarette was one of the first to go with a 23 degree step in the bow area, Fountain made their name with the power train. What's the quality and hull like on the new AH Donzi's ?  Are your running Arneson surfacing drives or Mecury Alpha units ?  I gots to know LOL

B B

Big B   the donzi has twin 250 mercury Verado outboards. Runs right at 60 mph. Gets us to the fish fast and comfortable. It is not the fastest but it is paid for :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.