Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Installing Ohlins FKC101's  (Read 4760 times)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Installing Ohlins FKC101's
« on: April 25, 2016, 11:50:23 PM »

If you buy and install your own you need the tools or need to make the tools.    Went to install mine today and ended up having to have a friend make each of the tools to install the shocks.   The DIRECTIONS SUCK and the guys at Ohlins were even more useless than the instructions.   Get first person on the phone after dialing in and hitting 1, then 1 again the first person cant answer any questions we have, so he transfers me to Matt.  Matt has never installed these shocks and is reading me the same worthless instructions I have in front me and cant answer any of the questions.   So i ask to speak to someone who has actually installed them.   Well he is out and unavailable but they can have him call me when he returns.   Pretty sad state of affairs for a shock company that they have no one with real worlds experience to talk to about installing their shocks during regular business hours.

Again you n eed at least 2 special tools for this install or need to make them.   1st takes aluminum round stock that you drill out 19/64 and use a time sert 1/4 - 20 to thread it.

The second takes a piece of flat stock or other metal that you cut groove in debur it and use it hold the spring below the upper nut that attaches to the cap.

The third thing you will need to have is 2 very thin open ended wrenches and a buddy or someone else handy.   you use the wrenches to push the spring down (collapse the spring) to allow you to insert the flat stock above it so you can set the threads into the cap and lock it down with the lock nut. 

Information you will either need or have to get unless you have a MM graduated measuring cup.   We didnt so to save you time 80mm = 3.150 inches.  and you will need 10 oz of their shock fluid and they dont need to sell you 2 liters of it.   The reason you only need 1 liter is that 1 liter is 33 ounches of oil enough to do 3 fork installs.

Also note the left front shock the hole is at the top and the right front shock the holes are at the bottom.   

Not a hard job but you will want 2 people for a few of the steps like inserting the flat stock.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 11:57:30 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Re: Installing Ohlins FKC101's
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 11:57:21 PM »

How long did it take, Harry?  Later--HUBBARD 
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 12:05:56 AM »

Hubbard,

Dis assembly was about 45 minutes to get the shocks out, wheel off, front fender removed, remove inner lower fairing and key assembly.

Tearing down the shocks, cleaning them out in a safe clean, and then figuring out we didnt have the specialty tools necessary.

30-40 minutes wasted on the phone with Ohlins.

Did i mention you need "special tools"   if you have a mill etc its approx another 30 minutes  if you have the round stock and flat stock.

1 redo of one of the shocks after reinstalling it. 

All in all was about a 4-5 hour learning process, could of been done in about 2 1/2 hours knowing what we do now and having the tools and process.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 06:43:11 AM »

Let us know how you like them. I'm planning on installing them on my bike one day to match up with the Ohlins I have in the rear. How much were they? Do you have any photos of the install?

"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 10:14:56 AM »

Hubbard,

Dis assembly was about 45 minutes to get the shocks out, wheel off, front fender removed, remove inner lower fairing and key assembly.

Tearing down the shocks, cleaning them out in a safe clean, and then figuring out we didnt have the specialty tools necessary.

30-40 minutes wasted on the phone with Ohlins.

Did i mention you need "special tools"   if you have a mill etc its approx another 30 minutes  if you have the round stock and flat stock.

1 redo of one of the shocks after reinstalling it. 

All in all was about a 4-5 hour learning process, could of been done in about 2 1/2 hours knowing what we do now and having the tools and process.

Well, at least it wasn't 5-7 hours on an asphalt parking lot, no shade, with a homeless guy standing over your shoulder... :nixweiss:

No trips to Lowes this time??

The bright side; you're as good as / better than the "experts" now... :nervous:

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 11:33:29 AM »

No trips to Lowes and while we made a grooved slide tool guess I could have used a fork to hold the spring back, but so much for thinking.

Yes we worked in a nice clean cool shop/machine shop so that sure beat the bum and hot asphalt.   

Like the rears its done, done right and now to break 'em in and form an opinion on the money/time spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 11:36:39 AM »

Sorry Ironhorse no install pictures but happy to shoot a picture of the tools we made.   Wife loves the rear shocks so figured if I get equal to those results it's worth it.

40 mile ride home the front was stiffer than before not as much diving,  although I felt like I felt more of the road vibration than I had before, but I was getting it trying to make the most of what light was left.

Cartridges and springs were 900.00
2 liters of ohlins oil were 58.00.  2 each at 29.00

Could have bought only one but glad to have the extra for next change.

Also you can buy the tools from ohlins. 

Flat stock is 20.00
Puller is 30.53

Also need a tiny ruler to check oil height up to a little over 3 1/8 inches deep.    Well 3.150 conversion.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 11:40:45 AM by Unbalanced »

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 12:30:05 PM »

'Think I've got some pics of the rear shock install around here somewhere...

They're a little technical, but they are clear...

Harry, it seemed like it took around 500 mi for the Harley Cartridges to "settle in", (a noticeable difference) after that I played with the shocks a couple of times and found the sweet spot... 'Don't know if the Ohlins are the same, 'just throwing it out there...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:32:52 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 12:48:01 PM »

Ed, I expected to have a break in period, was told to expect around 800-1000 miles guess I will have to get on that.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:49:41 PM by Unbalanced »

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 11:37:34 PM »

I did my own install and those special tools you are speaking of came with my set.
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

buell95

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 08:44:22 AM »

I did my own install and those special tools you are speaking of came with my set.

They came with mine also.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 12:04:45 PM »

I called Ohlins they sell them as an additional purchase, but not included with my shocks.   My thinking is either the person you got them from included them or they charged you for them ???

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 12:27:09 PM »

Not sure I got them from FuelMoto
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 04:03:47 PM »

I know a lot of folks on this site like the Ohlins stuff... I have twice talked to these overbearing air-headed people at Daytona. I wouldn't ever buy anything from them no matter how well it works, not even counting how over-priced they are. IMHO.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 07:34:18 AM »

I know a lot of folks on this site like the Ohlins stuff... I have twice talked to these overbearing air-headed people at Daytona. I wouldn't ever buy anything from them no matter how well it works, not even counting how over-priced they are. IMHO.

That is the exact opposite of my experience with the Factory Ohlin people who set up at Destination Daytona.  They were very nice, and informative.  The spent a lot of time explaining everything to me long before I made a purchase.  After the purchase they spent a lot of time helping me set them up, and explaining why I would want to change settings.  Two years later I had them rebuild the shocks, again helpful and informative.  Put loaners on my bike for a day while they were doing the rebuilding.

Now the day before I had been at an Ohlin retailer at the Speedway.  They were not helpful nor informative.  They were not the factory tent.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 20 queries.