Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: I don't want to be associated with HD  (Read 18689 times)

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
Re: I don't want to be associated with HD
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2016, 04:12:11 PM »

Several months back I had an engine problem on my nearly new CVO. HD didn't stand behind the product and that upset me. I vowed to sell my bike over it.

Now I travel in the US and I see "wanna be badasses" on their HD. Barely clothed, long mustache, and usually tattoos. Without a doubt, these people are on HD the majority of the time. They are obnoxious and call attention to themselves; revving at lights, or just having stupidly loud pipes. This persona doesn't represent me.

As a result of the two problems above, I have sold my bike. HD just isn't the image that I want to portray or have my name associated with. I will still ride, and I do not know what brand, but I do know for certain that the HD brand doesn't represent who I am.

Certainly, I am not the only one to feel this way. I think HD needs to work hard to clean up the image, as do we as riders.

That's why I don't ride with groups anymore.  Doesn't matter - Hog, Vets, club, you name it - people act like a$$es when they get into a group.  Always trying to show boat and gain attention.  I am 54 years old and don't have time for high school games.

I wear appropriate riding gear, but have never needed to dress like a "biker" to impress or try to look like something I am not.  I just like to ride and I am glad I am able to afford a Harley.

We boomers, who looked up to the "bad boy" bikers of our youth have grown up (for the most part).  Then again some people grow up while others just grow old.

Shalom,

M

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2016, 04:46:54 PM »

Several months back I had an engine problem on my nearly new CVO. HD didn't stand behind the product and that upset me. I vowed to sell my bike over it.

Now I travel in the US and I see "wanna be badasses" on their HD. Barely clothed, long mustache, and usually tattoos. Without a doubt, these people are on HD the majority of the time. They are obnoxious and call attention to themselves; revving at lights, or just having stupidly loud pipes. This persona doesn't represent me.

As a result of the two problems above, I have sold my bike. HD just isn't the image that I want to portray or have my name associated with. I will still ride, and I do not know what brand, but I do know for certain that the HD brand doesn't represent who I am.

Certainly, I am not the only one to feel this way. I think HD needs to work hard to clean up the image, as do we as riders.

WTF?  What are you, man, the "image police?"  What gives you the right to judge me, or anybody, for that matter?  And, who gives a chit what you represent?  Your preachin' ain't reachin'!  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD   
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2016, 04:55:57 PM »

I agree on one point. I hate the Morans that ride in staggered formation and hold up traffic.

turn_key

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2016, 04:58:02 PM »

To each his own. However, I'd rather be associated with Harley and bikers, who have been some of the friendliest and helpful people I have met, than some of those idiots on sport bikes.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2016, 05:13:45 PM »

Dear HerbrewHarley:

You need to change your CVOHarley handle...

Love always,
Murphy

:huepfenlol2:

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2016, 06:17:34 PM »

WTF?  What are you, man, the "image police?"  What gives you the right to judge me, or anybody, for that matter?  And, who gives a chit what you represent?  Your preachin' ain't reachin'!  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD
    That was the point I was trying to make in my earlier post.....only a little more subtle.   
       <as he sits here twisting the ends of his moustache contemplating a new tattoo>
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: Blue n Blue 2015 FLTRUSE - Lucille
    • CVO2: Grey n' Black 2011 FLTRUSE - Bertha (Sold)
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2016, 06:49:55 PM »

Mr HerbrewHarley,

I found your post to be an interesting study of human behaviour although not necessarily desirable behaviour and now find it necessary to comment on your sad attitude towards other motorcyclists.

I don't really care if folks want to dress like pirates or arsetronauts to go riding. Each to their own. I am unaware of a 'dress code' for motorcycle enthusiasts and as you haven't provided any references I can only assume there isn't one. In the absence of such, I respect everyone's choice to wear and ride what they please.

I fully understand your choosing to go with another flavour of motorcycle. Your choice.

Possibly something got lost in translation from the Israeli but last time (and every time) I looked I am the only person who represents me and how I dress/act/ride etc is entirely my choice. I would expect that if I choose to be an arsehat I will be scaring timid folks with weak stomachs like the Florida Heatwave and spend my time hanging with other arsehats who behave obnoxiously at traffic lights. If I want to cover myself in several dead cows, wear pins and go to HOG rallies to play bingo then I will no doubt get to play bingo with other folks with facial hair that are dressed as Village people (yes I did go to one HOG rally for a visit and that is exactly what they were doing). If I want to dress like Valentino Rossi on a crotch rocket then so be it. If I want to cover myself in tattoos instead of clothes then I will. Its a matter of personal choice. Shame on you for judging me because of my choices.

I find no correlation between the problems you experienced with the MoCo and your dislike of long 'moustaches', tattooed folks and those who choose to wear less clothing. I also find it hard to associate the MoCo and all who ride HDs with one group of inconsiderate Arsehats on HDs. Please let me know if you find a motorcycle brand that does not have anyone riding it who behaves poorly.

Like you, I am not a big fan of the whole brand marketing approach but I do like to ride and my preferred ride is a Harley. I buy/use what I consider the best fit for purpose. If HD has a product that works well and is not completely splashed with all of their logos then I will generally go with that. I have no compunction in using other brands if it is a better product.

Generally I am more than a bit fussy about who I ride with. I do not judge folks on their appearance (let's face it, no one is ever going to look as good as me so I have to be tolerant) or what marque they may choose to ride on any given day (I have a brother in law who for some unknown reason likes to ride a Honda Valkryie and I still ride with him because he rides well).

I leave judging folks on their personal choices to Wankers (Australian for bigot which we all know is another word for dickhead....I'm sure you get my drift). I am however very prone to judging people who I ride with on their riding behaviour. If you ride like a dickhead then find someone else to ride with. I don't need someone riding with me who puts me, Miss Lenda, Lucille, my mates or other road users at risk.

Translation:
-I will not ride twice with wankers who put me or mine in danger.
-I don't care what you ride its how you ride that matters to me.
-I do not judge folks by their appearance, people who do are wankers (yes this means you mate)
-I am not scared of long mustaches unless they are on ladies. (I am also ok with barely clad ladies)
-Tattoos are a personal choice. As the saying goes.......... 'tattoed people don't care if you have tattoos or not'. (This puts you squarely in the wanker category once again)
-I totally agree with your being unhappy with the MoCo over no support (I do wonder if that was discussed prior to taking the bike to Israel?). What you do is your choice and I wish you well.

I suggest you change your handle to
HebrewHaterofMustachesTattoosBarelyClothedPeopleHarleysandHDMoCor or something shorter with the same meaning like 'Wanker'

Major Tom

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

I don't want to be associated with HD
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2016, 07:04:01 PM »

But the real question, since you've made it plain that you do not want to associate with "Harley types"...

And this is the Most Pertinent question:

Why the *F* did you come here and post this tripe?

What approbation did you expect to find?

If you were serious about your stated intent, you would have kept on walking out the door.

You posted this to what end? Make yourself feel superior? To hopefully find other HD owners who hated the things but needed your imprimatur in order to "come out" and join your misguided tirade?

If you actually *mean* what you said, move along. Disappear.

Go forth and spread your disgust elsewhere...we've got riding to do.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 11:34:37 PM by MrSurly »
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2016, 07:05:28 PM »

see ya later hater  :2vrolijk_21:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

FLY-DOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • U.S. Navy (30 years); Delta Air Lines (22 years)
    • FL

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2016, 07:59:15 PM »

Some of the kindest, best hearted men I've known look like the people you describe on the outside. Don't judge a book by it's cover...... Long hair, beards, mustaches and tattoos don't make a bad person. I'm a clean shaven no tattoo professional by choice but I have personal friends and riding partners of all types.  We all get along because we don't judge each other by how the other one looks.  Loud pipes, quiet pipes, to each their own.  If your that judgmental then don't go out in public and hang out with Harley riders. I recommend a small CC step through bike for you; it would likely draw the crowd your looking for.  By the way, last time I was in Israel, I saw plenty of particularly long haired and bearded folks - orthadox Jews and they were just fine folks too. Loosen up and enjoy life....you only get one.
Current Stable:
2021 BMW R1250 GSA Rallye
2016 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited w/392 Hemi
2012 CVO Street Glide
2007 Mustang GT500
2006 YZ250F

HebrewHarley

• Banned
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2016, 08:07:05 PM »

.  By the way, last time I was in Israel, I saw plenty of particularly long haired and bearded folks - orthadox Jews and they were just fine folks too. Loosen up and enjoy life....you only get one.

That is because our religion dictates the beard, but not the long hair, and no tattoos. And you'll never see a scruffy bearded Jew, because it is disrespectful to g-d.

All that I am here to say is be who you ARE not who your motorcycle brand says that you "should" be.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2016, 08:08:43 PM »

Dammit.  I read this whole thread & not one post about chicks, beer, or pie. Not even a weird pool boy reference or what type of spark plug is the sparkiest or the oiliest oil or the waxiest polish. Waste of time. 

:drink: :drink:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2016, 08:11:34 PM »

That is because our religion dictates the beard, but not the long hair, and no tattoos. And you'll never see a scruffy bearded Jew, because it is disrespectful to g-d.

All that I am here to say is be who you ARE not who your motorcycle brand says that you "should" be.
Maybe you should look in the mirror... because who you are saying you are isn't who you really are... you can hide for only so long before the truth will be told/found out.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2016, 08:12:31 PM »

Mr HerbrewHarley,

I found your post to be an interesting study of human behaviour although not necessarily desirable behaviour and now find it necessary to comment on your sad attitude towards other motorcyclists.

I don't really care if folks want to dress like pirates or arsetronauts to go riding. Each to their own. I am unaware of a 'dress code' for motorcycle enthusiasts and as you haven't provided any references I can only assume there isn't one. In the absence of such, I respect everyone's choice to wear and ride what they please.

I fully understand your choosing to go with another flavour of motorcycle. Your choice.

Possibly something got lost in translation from the Israeli but last time (and every time) I looked I am the only person who represents me and how I dress/act/ride etc is entirely my choice. I would expect that if I choose to be an arsehat I will be scaring timid folks with weak stomachs like the Florida Heatwave and spend my time hanging with other arsehats who behave obnoxiously at traffic lights. If I want to cover myself in several dead cows, wear pins and go to HOG rallies to play bingo then I will no doubt get to play bingo with other folks with facial hair that are dressed as Village people (yes I did go to one HOG rally for a visit and that is exactly what they were doing). If I want to dress like Valentino Rossi on a crotch rocket then so be it. If I want to cover myself in tattoos instead of clothes then I will. Its a matter of personal choice. Shame on you for judging me because of my choices.

I find no correlation between the problems you experienced with the MoCo and your dislike of long 'moustaches', tattooed folks and those who choose to wear less clothing. I also find it hard to associate the MoCo and all who ride HDs with one group of inconsiderate Arsehats on HDs. Please let me know if you find a motorcycle brand that does not have anyone riding it who behaves poorly.

Like you, I am not a big fan of the whole brand marketing approach but I do like to ride and my preferred ride is a Harley. I buy/use what I consider the best fit for purpose. If HD has a product that works well and is not completely splashed with all of their logos then I will generally go with that. I have no compunction in using other brands if it is a better product.

Generally I am more than a bit fussy about who I ride with. I do not judge folks on their appearance (let's face it, no one is ever going to look as good as me so I have to be tolerant) or what marque they may choose to ride on any given day (I have a brother in law who for some unknown reason likes to ride a Honda Valkryie and I still ride with him because he rides well).

I leave judging folks on their personal choices to Wankers (Australian for bigot which we all know is another word for dickhead....I'm sure you get my drift). I am however very prone to judging people who I ride with on their riding behaviour. If you ride like a dickhead then find someone else to ride with. I don't need someone riding with me who puts me, Miss Lenda, Lucille, my mates or other road users at risk.

Translation:
-I will not ride twice with wankers who put me or mine in danger.
-I don't care what you ride its how you ride that matters to me.
-I do not judge folks by their appearance, people who do are wankers (yes this means you mate)
-I am not scared of long mustaches unless they are on ladies. (I am also ok with barely clad ladies)
-Tattoos are a personal choice. As the saying goes.......... 'tattoed people don't care if you have tattoos or not'. (This puts you squarely in the wanker category once again)
-I totally agree with your being unhappy with the MoCo over no support (I do wonder if that was discussed prior to taking the bike to Israel?). What you do is your choice and I wish you well.

I suggest you change your handle to
HebrewHaterofMustachesTattoosBarelyClothedPeopleHarleysandHDMoCor or something shorter with the same meaning like 'Wanker'

Major Tom

Tom, yer writing skills impress me. May I sum it up in three words?  :D

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2016, 09:27:53 PM »

From bike brand, to dress code to religion... this is going to turn out ugly.

I'm surprised the moderation gods haven't stepped in yet.

:nixweiss:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 20 queries.