Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10  All

Author Topic: Sta Bo bushings  (Read 58816 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Sta Bo bushings
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 04:08:40 PM »

Too true.  Going to the Progressive and dumping the Showas was a night and day difference on the red bike way back when.  It was terribly surprising how much of an improvement could be had so quickly and easily and, conversely, how much of a handicapping compromise you suddenly realized Harley was willing to send us out the door with.

My biggest (initial and as yet uninformed) concern about the Sta-bo parts was the nearly universal reports of considerably more powertrain and road vibration transmitted back through the frame to the rider and the bike's systems.  Granted, they all said it seemed to abate over 1500 miles or so.  But in that much time you're rear end would be well in getting used to it too.  I don't want all the bike's systems and connections (and me) shaking a lot more than normal.  It's just something that needs some more homework before I'd proceed to installation.

Agreed...I did not like what they were saying about the addtional vibration, and wonder if it's "just got used to it" or if it actually dissipates over time because of wear.

Here's what I think...If you have crappy shocks on the rear end of a bike that already has questionable rigidity in the geometry, and you put the bike in difficult (for that set-up) situations so that the function of the shocks ability to help hold the geometry comes into question, and they allow the swingarm to twist in the bushings...more importantly, if they allow it to be in a constant state of flexing without dampening of that effect...then you've got the tail wagging the dog a bit more than it should.  Those of us who have changed out the rear shocks to a better product, whatever that may be, know that the stock shocks leave much to be desired in all kinds of ways, and I personally think this is just another example.  The front forks don't help the situation either, as you then have two things not working together...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 04:33:32 PM »

Sorry Don, I just couldn't resist...

I thought that you were "done" modifying the cherry?  :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2: :nixweiss: :huepfenjump3:
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 04:41:58 PM »

Sorry Don, I just couldn't resist...

I thought that you were "done" modifying the cherry?  :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2: :nixweiss: :huepfenjump3:

Like that's ever really going to happen.  However......  swingarm bushing are a service item; not a modification  :bananarock: .

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 04:54:09 PM »

I spoke to Kevin at Sta Bo today and he addressed the many question that I had.

First being the vibration. Like he said the product isn't creating any vibration. It is what the bike already has. With the denser bushings in some of this is transmitted to the bike frame. He went on to say that if you a person who can notice a two pound air pressure change in your tires than you'll notice the additional vibration. If your one of those who can't tell you may never know the difference in vibration with the Sta Bo's installed. He finished up with it takes some time for the harder bushings to "seat" themselves. It wasn't a matter of getting use to it as mentioned above.

We also discussed using a softer compound for these bushings. The concern with that is that they will wear faster and not offer as much support. As with anything you have to give up something to get something.

We also talked about the various bolt on devices that do similar duty. There are a few more out there than the common two that always come up. Out of the four he mentioned three use a transmission pan bolt for securing the bracket.

I brought up the Velva ride front bushing and he gave me a tip on installing one. He said remove .04 to .05 off of the center sleeve and it will perform a lot better. Apparently the center sleeve is just a tad long and doesn't allow the assembly to tighten against the bushing. He recommended a company by the name of D&S for the front mount.

The man does like to talk and certainly knows his stuff. Apparently he was a pro bike rider for X amount of years. He is aware of the knockoffs of his product and similar products claiming to do the same thing. He never had a bad word to say about anything, he would just present his perspective on said part.

With that said some of you may remember I was chasing a squeak/squeal last year. Well I STILL haven't found it. Kevin walked me through a few things and offered up some suggestions. I will wait until I can try them before replacing the bushings as I'd like to do one thing at a time so I know what it is/was. Although I will be replacing the bushings and motor mounts to tighten the bike back up.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 06:43:52 PM »

Don, I seem to remember an issue about interference with the oil cooler on the SEEGs/SEUCs.  Did you have any issues with your installation?

I have the velva ride front motor mount insulator also, and you have to grind about 1/8" off the inside of the flat metal mount that the oil cooler bolts to..  I like the mount a lot better than stock, and is a lot easier to change if you ever need to as it is a 2 piece design and just slides in and out.  The bolt goes thru the metal with a sleeve and nut and not like the original 1 piece with immovable studs on both sides.  The only thing i didn't like on the install was:
When you tighten the nut down against the bottom washer, you can still lightly rotate the lower rubber mount.  It does not cause a problem in shaking or anything.  I got a fibre washer that was the same size as the sleeve and tighten the nut against that and the rubber was then snug.  I rode it about 100 miles the other way and the engine idled the same.  Mirrors hardly shake with the velva mount.  (and I took out the old original old style mount with no damage, just wanted something better, and the velva is)..  I don't have their stabilizers.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007, 07:10:47 PM »

(snip)
The only thing i didn't like on the install was: When you tighten the nut down against the bottom washer, you can still lightly rotate the lower rubber mount. 
That was what Kevin from Sta Bo was talking about. Your post confirmed what he was telling me and that I was understanding it correctly. :2vrolijk_21:

I ordered a set of Sta Bo 1's and they will ship tomorrow. I'll order the Velva ride tomorrow and with a little luck I'll get all of this in for Daytona. ;D
2023 CVO Road Glide

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007, 08:00:11 PM »

Don, I seem to remember an issue about interference with the oil cooler on the SEEGs/SEUCs.  Did you have any issues with your installation?

Yes Brian, just a little bit.  Need to take about this  > <  much off.  With everything else removed to change the mount you've already gained access to where you need to work though.  So it's only a couple of minutes time with a portable grinder and a quick squirt with some black paint for touch up.  Not a big deal at all.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 08:41:42 PM »

Here's what I think...If you have crappy shocks on the rear end .......  The front forks don't help the situation either, as you then have two things not working together...

That is what I'm really looking forward to finding out next.  One of my pre-spring tasks for awhile has been a change of the front fork oil.  Either with that Traxxion Dynamics setup or with just a rebuild using a good set of springs and emulators I'll be upgrading the nose when the oil gets changed. 

That will be the first time both the front and the back will have been in some significantly improved state.  Curious to see what it feels like as I know the rear end was very noticably the weak link on that Road King after it got the Traxxion Dynamics stuff installed.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 08:44:26 PM »

I don't have their stabilizers.

Bob, if you're ever just feeling unnecessarily energetic some weekend and are looking for a reason to pull the tank off you might keep their stabilizers in the back of your mind.  How they do what they do is obvious to you already if you've looked at the Velva stuff.  But they do it to good effect too.  Really is a pretty good part to consider if you're going to have the tank off sometime (the other one, of course, is easy to get to anytime).

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2007, 10:07:44 PM »

Anyone have any more information on this company, D&S???
Steve

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2007, 10:15:51 PM »

I don't but I could give Kevin at Sta Bo a call and get a number or web address.
2023 CVO Road Glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007, 10:30:36 PM »

If anyone is interested I can offer these bushings at the following prices.

Sta Bo 1 for $179.58 shipped, $204.07 retail, 1986-2001 FLHT, FLHR & FXR
Sta Bo 2 for $89.78 shipped, $102.03 retail, 2002-Present FLHT, & FLHR
2023 CVO Road Glide

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2007, 02:55:26 AM »

If anyone is interested I can offer these bushings at the following prices.

Sta Bo 1 for $179.58 shipped, $204.07 retail, 1986-2001 FLHT, FLHR & FXR
Sta Bo 2 for $89.78 shipped, $102.03 retail, 2002-Present FLHT, & FLHR

Will this be in regular availability or is it a short term deal?

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 07:27:34 AM »

Will this be in regular availability or is it a short term deal?

We'll take that as it comes. For now I'll leave it in place for a month or so. :2vrolijk_21:
2023 CVO Road Glide

SERK03

• Bigger is better
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2007, 05:33:11 AM »

I ran a set of Sta Bo Bushings for about 1000 miles in my 03 SERK.  They make the bike handle great but they do increase vibration.  Yes, the vibration is already there like Kevin says, but you don't feel it until you install them.  I have a friend that loves them and they didn't cause any increase in vibration on his bike.  I took mine out at 1000 miles and will sell them to the first guy that wants them for $35.00 plus shipping.  Email me at cbowman@vabb.com if you are interested.  They sell for $112.00 new and these are in like new condition except for installation marks on them.

SERK03
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 25 queries.