Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  All

Author Topic: Sta Bo bushings  (Read 58817 times)

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
Re: Sta Bo bushings
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2007, 03:44:27 PM »

Guess it's a Harley thing, if your putting it on a Harley style bike it's 50% more!!!!!   >:(
Ever buy a part for a boat that is the same part for a car?

Marine version of a fly wheel - $325
Chevy version of same fly wheel - $25

Go figure............................

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2007, 08:02:55 PM »

You got that right!  Spend $500 on the Harley you get a free picnic bag w/dishes, glasses and silverware.  Spend $500 on the boat and it doesn't even top off the tank.

Dan
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2007, 08:13:07 AM »

Thats a good deal on the end caps I guess I better order it.
I have four 1" chrome available and two 3/4" chrome available. :2vrolijk_21:
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2007, 08:58:37 AM »

I'm sure you have heard the saying, " a boat is a big hole in the water that you throw you money into!"

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »

Yep Candy, the excuse in the marine world is "it's balanced" or "treated to prevent rust" etc. etc.  And Talon is right, it is a big Friggin' hole, but not like the bike "magnet" my Harley is. :huepfenlol2:

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2007, 09:21:49 AM »

When we had our boat, we didn't throw money into that hole, we actually shovelled it in.  Last summer, we were just headin out, that-a-way, and we stopped to fill up.  A young lad next to us had pulled his boat out of the water and trailered it to the gas station to fill it up. He told us, for the third time this weekend.  Yeah!  So glad we sold the boat and now have a couple of Harleys to ride instead.  Never been sorry either.   :cherry:

The two happiest days in the a boat owner's life.  The day he bought it, and the day he sold it.  I think when we sold ours, it was actually happier than the day we bought it.   :cherry:

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2007, 09:31:08 AM »

Well back to the post, new bushings, True track, or both??? To me it looks like the bushings will take up different slop that the True Track doesn't, but the true track will keep the trans/swing arm laterally straight, so I'm thinking both.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2007, 10:21:16 AM »

A fellow on another forum said he talked to the Sta-bo people and they said they didn't recommend the True Track and their product together.    :nixweiss:

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2007, 10:49:06 AM »

A fellow on another forum said he talked to the Sta-bo people and they said they didn't recommend the True Track and their product together.    :nixweiss:

Most likely as they sell an alternative to the stock bushing themselves.  Both Sta-bo and the True Track bushings are targeting the same issue, hopefully the True Track solution is better, it costs a chitload more than the Sta-bo solution.

I should find out soon, I am hoping my bike is done and it has the True Track's.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2007, 11:44:37 AM »

Most likely as they sell an alternative to the stock bushing themselves.  Both Sta-bo and the True Track bushings are targeting the same issue, hopefully the True Track solution is better, it costs a chitload more than the Sta-bo solution.

I should find out soon, I am hoping my bike is done and it has the True Track's.

Was wondering what's happening with your ride, Roger...finishing today?  Anxiously awaiting your evaluation of the various products installed.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2007, 02:49:59 PM »

I read that also and I called Kevin at Sta-Bo to ask about it. This is what I got from the conversation.

Where to start.... Both products are addressing the same problem. However they are going about it with different methods. True-Track and similar devices are keeping the motor/trans combo in place. A great move that the MOCO should look into. However this still allows the swing arm to move in the bushings. They are addressing the symptom not the problem. Sta-Bo is going after the swing arm with the thought that if you keep the swing arm stationary the rest will stay in place. Sta-Bo bushings are limiters more so than bushings. They prevent the swing arm/motor/trans combination from moving side to side. While doing this they also assist in the up and down movement of the combination. Addressing the problem not the symptom.

As to why not to run both products together I was told it may make the bike very rigid. Some guys have not noticed it or just didn't care. Where others state it is like riding a old bike. His suggestion was to try it and if it is to rough disconnect the True-Track or similar device and see if there is a ride or handling difference. (At this point I forgot to ask if the Sta-Bo's were returnable if there isn't a difference. I will the next time I call)

That is what I got from the phone call. I also asked how to respond to the "I spent X amount so it has to be better because it cost more". He just chuckled and said he hears that a lot.

What I can tell you is my bike handles unbelievably well with the Sta-Bo 1 in it. A noticeable difference right from the start. I have not had the chance to test the Sta-Bo 2's on a bike before and after. The Sta-Bo 1 kit comes with the bushings from the Sta-Bo 2 so I have them in my bike. I'll convince someone to let me try them out on their bike locally. :2vrolijk_21:
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2007, 03:00:07 PM »

I had the TrueTrack on from day one. The rear is definitely more stable than all my previous FL's. The front still sucks, but the Traxxion will take care of that. I'm not convinced to get rid of the TrueTrack yet. Anyone running both? How stiff is it? I'm also planning on installing the Bitubo Shocks if they work out for our bikes. I wouldn't need it ridiculously stiff with a properly set up suspension. If it's too stiff, which one should remain? Are we convinced that stiffening the bushings are a total cure, negating the need for the external stabilizer? Which vendor do we believe? Can the Sta-bos stiffen the bushings enough to completely stop any flexing? :confused5: Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2007, 03:56:23 PM »

I don't have either yet, but from looking at them and what people have witten, the Sta Bo Bushing for the new bikes replaces or inserts into the center section of the original rubber bushing? If so it'll tighten up the bushing some in all directions. True Track looks to allow uninhibited up and down motion of the motor/trans, and swing arm, but keeps the trans and swing arm on center from side to side, and stop camber flex in the swing arm and wheel, by applying pressure on the adjustable link between the other two pieces of the True Track.

Anyone have a understanding of both, this is true or not? I'm seeing advantage to both.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 04:08:14 PM by Talon »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #103 on: April 30, 2007, 04:03:19 PM »

I don't have either yet, but from looking at them and what people have witten, the Sta Bo Bushing for the new bikes replaces or inserts into the center section of the original rubber bushing? If so it'll tighten up the bushing some in all directions. True Track looks to allow uninhibited up and down motion of the motor/trans, and swing arm, but keeps the trans and swing arm on center from side to side applying pressure on the adjustable link between the other two pieces of the True Track, but I don't think it would stop camber flex.

Anyone have a understanding of both, this is true or not? I'm seeing advantage to both.

That was my thought process too Talon. Although the TrueTrack will limit flexing somewhat, it moreso stabilizes lateral movement. It would seem that doing both would be advantageous. I also don't know why the suspension would be stiffer. The TT doesn't add any stiffness to the bike. I can see the Sta-Bos making it a little stiffer, but I can't imagine it being any more with the TT. We need a first hand assessment I think, and not from competing vendors! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2007, 04:14:34 PM »

Here's a link from bikernet on the TT, I would think if your worried about the extra viberation from the bushings the TT would be the way to go. I'm still on the fence as to which is better, or both. Hoist, you like yor TT correct?

http://www.bikernet.com/garage/truetrack.asp
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.