Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Hog Tunes Ultra  (Read 4555 times)

bbsiding

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Hog Tunes Ultra
« on: February 07, 2007, 09:39:05 PM »

Has anyone tried the new hogtunes ultra setup?. I understand that the hawg wired rig is the man but the hogtunes is a lot more affordable
2005 SEEG Teal
20011 FLHTCUSE6

SPIDERMAN

Re: Hog Tunes Ultra
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 09:53:20 PM »

Has anyone tried the new hogtunes ultra setup?. I understand that the hawg wired rig is the man but the hogtunes is a lot more affordable

You know I've looked into this and all I get is that yeah the MoCo speakers are crap, but there's no sense in just replacing the speakers without an amp. This makes the change a $1,000 instead of the cost of 4 new Hawg Wired speakers. I set up LD with a rear speaker kit and had the head unit flashed to work with it. It sounds great at any speed up to about 60mph. After that I turn up the volume and IMO the speakers are good enough quality to handle it, but all I get from everyone is a bunch of stuff about needing an amp. What's the real skinny here. If I pop for 4 Hawg Wired speakers and retain the stock 07 Advanced Audio head unit, what am I gonna notice about the sound quality after the speaker changeout ? There's no way I'm gonna dump 10 to 15 Big Ben's into a motocycle stereo. Just too much ambient noise to be worth it IMO. Big Daddy's got an IPOD that fits in the inside pocket of his Leather and he's a happy camper ridin along.

B B

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 09:54:10 PM »

I originally had the Hog Tune front speakers. I thought they were very excellent. Sure out perform the stock speakers and the HD Upgraded AMP Systems. I can hear all of the tunes even with my Jims 120 with Freedom Cycle Duals or the V&H 2:1 Pro Pipe at over 75 MPH

Last fall I added Hog Tune AMP and Rear Pods and speakers, now it is even way better than before.

I have heard the bikes with the Hawg Wired Systems I can say that it is also a great system.

One other thing I ride a Road Glide, the fairing is a lot further away than the Ultras & Electras, and the sound is still great.

geezerglide

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 10:49:16 PM »

You know I've looked into this and all I get is that yeah the MoCo speakers are crap, but there's no sense in just replacing the speakers without an amp. This makes the change a $1,000 instead of the cost of 4 new Hawg Wired speakers. I set up LD with a rear speaker kit and had the head unit flashed to work with it. It sounds great at any speed up to about 60mph. After that I turn up the volume and IMO the speakers are good enough quality to handle it, but all I get from everyone is a bunch of stuff about needing an amp. What's the real skinny here. If I pop for 4 Hawg Wired speakers and retain the stock 07 Advanced Audio head unit, what am I gonna notice about the sound quality after the speaker changeout ? There's no way I'm gonna dump 10 to 15 Big Ben's into a motocycle stereo. Just too much ambient noise to be worth it IMO. Big Daddy's got an IPOD that fits in the inside pocket of his Leather and he's a happy camper ridin along.

B B

I agree with you BB.  I have no problem with the system that came with my SEUC.  It sounds just fine and I can hear it just fine when I'm riding.  If I want exellent audio, I'll listen to my surround sound system in my home theater.  There is way too much ambient noise to make that system sound much better.  I think the audio system, for the environment it has to work in, does a commendable job.  JMHO.
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 11:57:30 PM »

Yep, installed it before x-mas. Haven't had a chance to try them on the road yet, but it sounds awesome in the garage. Where I had to crank it to 6 or 7 bars (I have had the hogtunes front speakers for a while), now needs only 2 or 3 & extremely crisp. Also like the fact you can "balance" the rear & front speakers. They're also as you stated much cheaper than the Hog Wild.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 12:04:44 AM by Bungy »
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

hogasm

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 09:47:36 AM »

Big B,   I can't hear anything with mine over about 35. Could have something to do with the Borzillas on the back.

Pondered what to do and believe for the money, Q's stereo setup is for me. An Ipod and ear plugs is a whole lot cheaper that a new system.

Remember I never ride 2 up. Kathy has her own system and a lot quieter bike.

hogheritage04

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, but rather the journey
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 01:07:49 PM »

I don't know how many use intercoms, and speakers systems in their helmets, but I have an Arai Helmet with a J&M premium communication system integrated.  I hardly ever use the speakers, but instead listen via my helmet headset.  I was wondering if many use the same, or do most use the speakers?  Seems like a lot of money to put into speakers if you don't use them very much. :nixweiss:

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 10:19:20 AM »

Just added Front and Back HOGTUNES to my 07 SE Ultra.
AC/DC sounds really good at or above 85 with a Rinehart 2-1. 
I would recommend them especially for the $$ and install is cake!

TimBone

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 11:48:25 AM »

Ditto on the Hog Tunes,

Had Hog Tune front speakers installed Hog Tune AMP and rear pod speakers, sound even greater.

Installed on a Road Glide, where the I think the system would be more critical than on a Ultra or EGlide as the speakers are a lot furtehr away.

geezerglide

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 11:47:11 PM »

Just added Front and Back HOGTUNES to my 07 SE Ultra.
AC/DC sounds really good at or above 85 with a Rinehart 2-1. 
I would recommend them especially for the $$ and install is cake!

TimBone

Are the speakers all that is needed? I've already bought the Bluetooth and am planning on installing it in the fairing. I wouldn't think there is enough room for everything? Plus I just bought the Nolan w/ J&M headset so I also don't think I'll need the redundancy.

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 09:09:23 AM »

Speakers are all you need and the install is very easy...Plug and Play for both front and rear.
I also went to the hardware store and got some weather stripping to put on my outer fairing, as the
cheeseball junk that came on there was installed incorrectly and didn't give me a water tight seal on the top.
The stuff went on easy and is great for helping keep out the water and dirt and still lets the electronics breath out the sides and bottom.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 10:09:57 AM »

What are the differences between the Hog Tunes and Hawg Wild units (money and product)?

I have an 07 with an Amp under the trunk and whatever speakers came stock. Is Hog Tunes an HD item and if so do I already have that system?

Can the Hawg Wild system be used with the leg faring speakers (if thats the system that has them) as well as the trunk and upper faring speakers (6 in all)?

My system sounds pretty good now but could be improved I think.

Thanks for any help!!

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 08:31:58 PM »

pic of HogTunes installed on my 07 SE Ultra.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 10:11:49 PM »

What are the differences between the Hog Tunes and Hawg Wild units (money and product)?

I have an 07 with an Amp under the trunk and whatever speakers came stock. Is Hog Tunes an HD item and if so do I already have that system?

Can the Hawg Wild system be used with the leg faring speakers (if thats the system that has them) as well as the trunk and upper faring speakers (6 in all)?

My system sounds pretty good now but could be improved I think.

Thanks for any help!!

The SE bikes already have a 4 channel 160W amp under the tourpack as you know. The Ultrasound kit from Hogtunes is  only a 2 channel 48 watt system. The Hawg-wired system is a 4 channel 300 watt system. If your looking for an upgrade to the HK system that is on the bike now the Hawg-Wired system is the way to go.

Another option is to add the 2 channel 150w amp and a pair of speakers in the lowers. Do this with all of the other stuff in place.

You can also just do an upgrade to your stock speakers, For the money this is the best bang for your buck.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 11:09:46 PM »

The SE bikes already have a 4 channel 160W amp under the tourpack

Jim, have you seen any reputable numbers on how much of that output the amp is good for?  I read one article that suggested only about 50%.  As bad as many amps are it's hard to too easily believe that Harmon Kardon put out a piece that was that poor.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 25 queries.